This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steven Universe (and general Cartoon Network chat)

Comments

• That episode was exactly what I wanted it to be based on the title. Personalized fanservice?
  • I for one was not predicting robots. Pearl servants, yes. Robo fight? Not so much.
  • It's hiatus time!

Next week's episode will be the last for 2015.
  • Daikun said:

It's hiatus time!

"This page does not exist"
  • That was a great episode.

So Pearl belonged to......Rose?

That's what I'm feeling.
    That seems the lost likely.
    Rose seems like she wouldnt have treated Pearl like a servent but an equal and friend. That explains the fierce loyalty and love Pearl shows for Rose. Pearl, being a pearl, was probably never treated that way before.
  • Neito said:

Daikun said:

It's hiatus time!

"This page does not exist"
    He set his Tweets to private.
  • A brief update: This week's episode will air at 7:30 instead of 5:30.
  • So I've finally gotten down to watching through Adventure Time, and I hit the start of season 5 last night. Holy shit, does the quality go through the roof.
    I've also started paying attention to the storyboarders for each episode, and every time I see Adam Muto/Rebecca Sugar I reflexively curl up to protect my feels.
  • So I've finally gotten down to watching through Adventure Time, and I hit the start of season 5 last night. Holy shit, does the quality go through the roof.
    I've also started paying attention to the storyboarders for each episode, and every time I see Adam Muto/Rebecca Sugar I reflexively curl up to protect my feels.

Insert "told everyone so" here.
  • Adventure time is equally as "good" as Steven Universe. They just do different things.

Steven Universe is explicit and direct storytelling. Adventure Time is subtle and builds a world and characters in the gaps.

Steven Universe has a plot line that moves ever forward. Adventure Time is snippets into a complex world around a theme that nothing lasts forever.

Steven Universe's climaxes are battles, within and without, physical and mental. Adventure Time's climaxes are left unsaid.

Steven Universe is a traditional story. Adventure Time is an exploration of...
  • Rym puts it pretty well. Adventure Time has gone into some crazy corners too, with its share of explicit story episodes and yet a few zany madcap explorations.

SU seems to fill the hole that AT leaves when it starts to move gears on grand stories more explicitly than normal, and then leaves them to freewheel or jumps the focus to some day at the water park, taking most of a season to revisit a thread that we've started to forget. Even if we accept that the continuity of the story is non-linear and some things are just 'mostly fit anywhere' type ordeals, the real-time pacing of episode release leaves me wishing the show would more often just go on a 4-6 episode sprint of pushing the story right along without a lot of detours, even if the plot of those episodes weren't directly continuous.

I feel the end of the recent season got that part down, but I recall a lot of times watching the show thinking that there was something I hope would find a conclusion soon, and then when it finally does many many episodes later return for resolution I've cooled a lot.

I wonder though if the way the show is actually made, its difficult to make that work?

But yes. SU has its share of side-quest episodes but by and large it never strays too far. And I can dig that.
  • Perry is such a nerd.
  • Perry is such a nerd.

Oh, I don't think so.

Oh, you meant Peri? My mistake.
  • Oh, honey honey?
  • Milk and honey. I blame it all on the cows.
  • Something i saw on tumbler about Pearl.

We haven't seen other characters pull items out of their gem (other than their weapons). Maybe that's what Peridot meant about Pearls being created for looking pretty and 'holding your stuff'. Lion had Rose's things inside him, so maybe that backs up the theory? She couldn't put those things in her gem, so she created lion?
  • Something i saw on tumbler about Pearl.

We haven't seen other characters pull items out of their gem (other than their weapons). Maybe that's what Peridot meant about Pearls being created for looking pretty and 'holding your stuff'. Lion had Rose's things inside him, so maybe that backs up the theory? She couldn't put those things in her gem, so she created lion?

Rose created lion or pearl did?
  • Rose created lion or pearl did?

Pearl didn't know about Lion.
  • It would have to be Rose. Pearl didn't even know about the existence of Lion until Steven showed her what Lion was and could do.
  • It would have to be Rose. Pearl didn't even know about the existence of Lion until Steven showed her what Lion was and could do.

Yeah that's why I was confused
  • That would imply Rose made lion as a sentient bag of holding, specifically to exclude Pearl from holding on to certain things. Which explains the Mr Universe shirt. Doesn't explain Bismuth, exactly. Maybe Rose really dug Bismuth but Pearl was not so keen to that.
  • Listening to Do it for Her again with the new Pearl information increases the parallels
  • I also really like that "Pearl" rhymes with "Girl". I don't know if that was intentional or not, but when Peridot said "you can't do that! you're just a pearl" - I had some flashbacks lol
  • I got a real Peabody and Atlas feel looking at their two mechs.
  • I got a real Pearlbody and Atlas feel looking at their two mechs.

• Fucking tumblr, man.