This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Questions for Emily

edited October 2006 in GeekNights
Rather than getting stuff buried in the Scott Pilgrim post it’s probably best to make a separate thread.

My question for Emily is:

I’ve heard recently that both the gothic lolita look and the ganguro look are declining in popularity. I’d really like to know what street fashion is popular these days.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• My question:
    Where the heck is that accent from?
    Here are my guesses:
    1) Pennsylvania
    2) Wisconsin
    3) Minnesota
    4) Maryland

Please tell me which one is correct.
  • I don't really have a question. I just want to thank Emily for having the most kickass Thing of the Day!
  • Hmmm.

One funny thing is that when I was up in Tokyo visiting all the old haunts with my sister in August, we went to Harajuku. There is a bridge there where all the Goth-Loli cosplayers hang out, but, to my surprise it differed from the scene I remembered from high school - So many of the cosplayers were white Americans! It cracked me up to think that some kids had come on their summer break to make a pilgrimage to Tateshita Street, decked out in their vampire duds. Gothic Lolita is still fairly present in the Japanese fashion scene, and it is sometimes combined with a traditional Japanese clothing. I saw a Skull Yukata with frilly lace and chains! Among the less daring, Hip hop fashion or faux punk plaids and screenprints seem to be the thing to wear. These latter items seem to be influenced at least in part by JROCK Styles, with buckles and skulls Galore. The best thing was the fashion magazine the we bought at Kyoto tower. It was like arts and crafts for Goth girls...how to mutilate your teddy bear, bake cheese cake that looks like dripping candles, and decorate your room to be oh so gloomy. The sewing and knitting patterns were the best, though. My mom made us give it to the the hairdresser...but he enjoyed it so much it was worth it. Saw a few Ganguro, and We saw Yamanba in Shibuya, so even if a fashion fades, there will always be a few diehards that keep up with it. Judging from the stuff they sell in many clothing stores, even if one of those fads is dying out, a watered down version will seep into the mainstream.

Sometimes you get girls who are like the antithesis of goth...they dress in bright, clashing colors! Fruits. (This is also old.)

And about my accent...I think it is an Yooper (Upper Peninsula Michigan, for all you Trolls under the Bridge) accent with Scandinavian influences...kinda like a cross between Canadian and Swedish. I was not born there, but my mom and dad both have a little North in their voices...
    I noticed something, though! It really comes out when I am excited or nervous. Rym says "You get more "o" -ey."
  • My thing of the day was pretty dopey...but it made me laugh when tired, so I thought it would be alright.
  • What are some effective, fun and cheap ways to learn the language and culture while in Japan?
  • I'm super into linguistics and Japanese, so here are some questions!

Where have you lived in Japan?

How long did it take you to be able to hold a good conversation, and did you notice people's reactions to you change as your Japanese got better?

Was there any pivotal point or experience you had in Japan that made your Japanese improve?

Did you have any culture shock or reverse culture shock?

How do you study?

What do you think constitutes a good language learner?
  • For some reason, I thought Emily was Japanese.
  • Heehee...I tell people I am a third Japanese and then they get really confused trying to figure out the genetics (as they are in multiples of four.)

Those are really good questions...I'll save them for the episode. (even though I really want to answer them now!)

Mr. Future, I think you said you've lived there for SIX YEARS? wow, ya got me beat. You must be wicked perapera!
  • I've been here 5 years. Spent my first year as an exchange student at aoyamagakuin, then spent 2 years working for Nova, and the last couple years I've been working at junior high school and working on my masters degree in TEFL/TESL (which rocks.)

I've gotta say I'm pretty wicked perapera, but not perfect by any means. The first few years here I tried to only be into Japanese stuff, like manga and games... Now I watch both Japanese stuff and stuff from America and Britian. Right now I've just started reading Deathnote (cause all my students read it and it got a glowing endorsement from geeknights.) and watching Star Trek the Next Generation on DVD.

I have to say at first being bilingual caused quite an identity crisis for myself. Hearing yourself speak in an entirely new language is strange and bizarre. What's even more bizarre is that people usually find they develop an entirely new personality in their second language (I can't find the proper source for this right now), but I'm sure you've felt the same way, doing things you wouldn't normally do in Japanese, or saying things that you wouldn't normally say (profusely apologizing for nothing!!!!)

Japan's a nice place to live. (btw I'm a Tokyo dude... I only really like Tokyo, but I don't travel much.)
  • OMG pink donkey monkey bunny eats your brain! (kakkoi? Bimyou~) ...I wanna do the JET program.

Tokyo Represent! I lived near kichijouji and my school was in Setagaya. This past time I was at Nagoya U.

I act different, and people say I sound different too. I have to get used to not doing the little head bob when I feel bad about something in NY. People will think I have a tik.
  • JET program rocks, but the majority of schools they send people to are out in the middle of nowhere. I have two friends that we're sent way out in the middle of nowhere and wound up hating Japan because of it.

I worked for Nova for two years. It was hell, but I got to live in Tokyo which was way worth it. My good friend lives in Kichijouji and I go drinking there all the time. Working for any of the major eikaiwa schools is a good idea if you want a working visa. JET will probably improve your Japanese much more than an eikaiwa school, but the idea of being stuck in shikoku terrifies me!

YEAH, I always bow to people in America (I go back for 2 weeks every year). I also forget about tipping (which could be the death of me.) American sushi SUCKS, and the sashimi tastes SO bad and the sake is undrinkable... so I'll probalby stay here a while longer!