This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Connecticon 2013 Staffing and Panels

Comments

• Did I remember to actually submit anything? I'm fairly certain I submitted American Tezukas, because I remember the revised description, and I know I'd be on jtvh's Hell Hell, but was there anything else?
  • Also, panelists, seriously, PUT THAT SHIT ON YOUR RESUME. Any sort of public speaking/PR style experience will look amazing for a quote-unquote real job.
    As someone looking for jobs right now, that seems like a good idea.

Only if it's somehow relevant to the job you are applying for. If you have a general resume online or a job page profile, then sure. On a resume document that you send in, you should tailor it to the things that are relevant to the position. If you're applying to a job where you sit in a back room and write code for a financial company, your ability to present a panel on giant robots to a room of fanboys probably isn't going to impress anybody. If you're going for a marketing gig, on the other hand, then any voluntary public speaking or presenting could be helpful, regardless of the topic.

• Oh... actually as someone that sits in a back room writing code for financial software among other things, I'd like to know a candidate has some random capacity to communicate.
  • This. Effective communication is a rare skill in general. It depends on the career field how valuable it is, but it will always hold some value and help set you apart from the pack. Depending on how formal you want it to be in your resume, you could list the panel experience as a supporting note under "communication skills"

• Communication skills are valuable, yes. The question is how to demonstrate that you have them on your resume. I suppose if that is the only presentation you have ever given, or the most complex one, then it's worth mentioning. Like I said, it seriously depends on the job.

If you've got something better, give preference to that. If you present the panel serially instead of just once, that's a plus too. Lots of people can talk about their hobbies and interests, but when you ask them to present on a different topic they fall flat. If I am looking at hiring you, I want to know if you can communicate about work stuff. Also, presenting, conversing, and negotiating are all different skillsets, so you should represent them separately.

• It would be a lot easier for panelists to know who to go to with questions if there were some sort of uniform. Even just baseball hats or something similarly inexpensive.
    This year, all staff should be in the black ConnectiCon polo OR a plain black shirt if they don't have a polo. Though, a few of us do cosplay. I'm trying to work out how to make it obvious I'm staff in a costume…
    It appears Rym/Scott/Mysterious third party person is scheduling now, 3 of my panels were approved.
    I'm the mysterious 3rd party!

• edited April 2013
    Communication skills are valuable, yes. The question is how to demonstrate that you have them on your resume. I suppose if that is the only presentation you have ever given, or the most complex one, then it's worth mentioning. Like I said, it seriously depends on the job.

If you've got something better, give preference to that. If you present the panel serially instead of just once, that's a plus too. Lots of people can talk about their hobbies and interests, but when you ask them to present on a different topic they fall flat. If I am looking at hiring you, I want to know if you can communicate about work stuff. Also, presenting, conversing, and negotiating are all different skillsets, so you should represent them separately.
    Fair point, one does not always translate to the other, and it's up to the applicant to present a clear connection between their experience and qualifications.

As a funny side note to what you were saying, I would consider myself a pretty good reverse-example. At work, I'm known as a strong speaker and have had to brief Admirals on several occasions, and thought it'd easily translate to presenting my hobbies. However, at Connecticon last year, I had a room to myself (first panel ever) and gave a dud speech about board games. It was good practice though, and between that experience and the YouTube show I started hosting, I'm much more able to speak about my hobby. Followed it up with an excellent panel at PAX East, which I was very happy with.

Post edited by Matt on
  • Yep, me too. I'm pretty great at presenting work stuff, but when it comes to personal stuff I'm pretty meh. I'm also better on stage than in one-on-one interviews. It's probably because I'm used to working with people of all levels regarding work stuff, but when it comes to personal stuff I tend to associate with really smart people and those who already have common base knowledge. I'm not really practiced in low-level conversation of my hobbies, just high-level stuff!
  • Doing five panels. I WANT A FREE T-SHIRT!!!
  • I do put con stuff on my resume, but I list it subtley. I group con stuff as "Small/Large Group Public Speaking & Management" and put it under my skill list. This way you're giving the interviewer a chance to ask you questions about the topic and for you to elaborate. Depending on how I think the interview is going, I'll focus on the areas that they'll find the more intereting.

We should make an FRC shirt. Someone else get on that.
  • I have placed the call to be ascended into the panel department as well as teaching board games.
    There was one that was made already, but it is currently sold out.

• I will be sorting out new staff and old staff by the weekend. Stay tuned! ;^)
  • Speaking of anyone here looking to do a FRC room to split together?
  • We should make an FRC shirt. Someone else get on that.
    I mean, couldn't the Fast Karate shirt effectively count as one?
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2013
    Speaking of anyone here looking to do a FRC room to split together?
    Me.
    I mean, couldn't the Fast Karate shirt effectively count as one?
    Naw.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I will be sorting out new staff and old staff by the weekend. Stay tuned! ;^)
    I was about to start getting worried.
  • Let's have a ConnectiCon soon, shall we?
  • We will not be going to Conneticon this year because 'somebody' got two Fs on their final term report card.

I would offer up lodging but I don't think anyone would want to stay 45 minutes away from the Con.
  • I am excite, I am 95% done panel on Monopoly and going to be working on Box Stuffing this and next week. I have to stay this may be the most outrageous panel I have ever pulled off in sometime.
  • I'm going to spend the next two weeks sleeping so I'll be ready to not sleep when the con rolls around. :P
  • Anybody going to C-Con have video equipment I could borrow? I want to tape one of my panels.
  • Anybody going to C-Con have video equipment I could borrow? I want to tape one of my panels.
    I wish I could get my panels taped to see what I can improve upon/share with the Internet.
  • Son of a bitch, why does American Tezukas have to be directly against that Utena panel?
  • edited July 2013
    Probably the same reason my Hip Hop panel goes on at the same time as your Bad Movie panel. Which also reminds me, Friday looks fucking stacked content wise, more so than the other days.
    Post edited by Jordan O. on
  • What's the chances of going to see a midnight showing of Pacific Rim Thursday night?
  • I might be up for that. Depends when we get in.
  • What's the chances of going to see a midnight showing of Pacific Rim Thursday night?
    This would be something I would be interested in joining if takes place.
    I don't know is the Spotlight Theatres Frontstreet is doing a midnight showing, but we are negotiating the rights to some awesome live-action 80s movies… Those will be screened from Midnight-10am.

This would be something I would be interested in joining if takes place.
    Depends. But I would try for this.

• Shall we do a GroupMe? Or try whatever that fancy new Japanese app is that Scott mentioned a while back?