This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Lay's newest potato chips flavor: Chicken & Waffles

Comments

• It just doesn't seem like a big deal to
    Me. Someone proposed the flavor and Lays went with it. It's no more racist than going with a suggesting from a Hispanic to make Refried beans flavor.
  • chicken and waffles is fucking delicious.
  • chicken and waffles is fucking delicious.
  • It's only racist because people are making it racist. The idea itself is not racist at all.
  • It's only racist because people are making it racist. The idea itself is not racist at all.
    Agreed. Heck, I personally find nothing racist about liking the other stereotypical foods like fried chicken, watermelon, etc. All those foods are delicious no matter what your race may be. However, I know that dumbasses have given them racist connotations in the past that stick with them to the present, unfortunately, and I find that really a shame.
  • I had chicken & waffles in West Harlem last week. The dish, on their menu, is called "The Al Sharpton."
    Which is true about every racial stereotype ever. "Abstract concept is abstract" is not an argument for or against racism.

I don't have the experience with American/Southern culture to make a judgement either way on this one though.
  • Which is true about every racial stereotype ever. "Abstract concept is abstract" is not an argument for or against racism.
    You are correct, but that sadly does make things more complicated, though. For example, let's say I decide to go out for fried chicken just because I happen to be in the mood for it. How do I invite my black friend to join me without sounding racist? I mean, my black friend, seeing as how he's my friend, would know I'm not racist, but someone else not familiar with the context may not. Then again, I also may not care what some random stranger thinks so long as my friend knows what's really going on.
  • I believe Omnutia and I solved exactly that problem thusly: Who gives a shit fried chicken is wonderful, let's go get some while joking about how racist it is.
  • Luckily I ate lunch and am no longer starving for chicken and waffles.
  • I believe Omnutia and I solved exactly that problem thusly: Who gives a shit fried chicken is wonderful, let's go get some while joking about how racist it is.
    Yep, that's basically the "do not care what some random stranger" solution. It's probably the best one given the circumstances. :)
  • In my case, I never even heard about chicken and waffles until I watched Tokyo Breakfast. At the time, I didn't get the joke and honestly thought it was some weird Japanese thing, like corn on pizza, and not an African-American thing. It wasn't until later that I found out it was actually a form of soul food.
    You're one step ahead of me. I didn't know it was a thing until this thread.
  • edited February 2013
    Man, this bullshit about racism. You're the kind of fucking twats that got negerzoenen renamed to just zoenen! It's fucking sweet, and if you're gonna think too hard about it it should be fucking affectionate, not racist you narrow minded shitheads. Give me back my negerzoenen, racists! Give them back!
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I didn't even know that negerinnentet got renamed. Now I want one but the only ones I could find in America are shitty wax covered cardboard balls.
  • edited February 2013
    And yet, we still have Coon cheese. I don't actually know what you're talking about, but it came to mind because I'm eating some grilled on bread as we speak.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Ahahah, Negro Kisses. I want some.
  • Ahahah, Negro Kisses. I want some.
    They're lip-smacking good!
  • Why would that be racist?

Aditionally, why do you quadruple space your posts? HTML is gonna strip it out unless you use  .
    Cultural ties to the product here in the US. It's percieved not as a delicious flavor combination that almost anyone with a mouth can enjoy but rather as a typically "black" food. That one distinction means a lot of people won't touch it.

My father won't eat sushi because he doesn't like anything that Japanese culture produces and yet his house is filled with Japanese products. Stupid guilt by association.

As far as the spacing, I don't quad space anything. What makes you say that?
  • Chicken and Waffles has never been associated with "black" to me: just "South."
  • It depends on your background (shocking, I know!). I grew up near a black community and the world famous Roscoes chicken & waffles isn't all that far away.
  • I bought a bag today. When you're eating it, it tastes mostly like maple/waffles, but soon after you've swallowed, the chicken flavor becomes quite apparent. I've yet to have a meat-flavored potato chip that I like, and this is unfortunately no exception. It's better than the hamburger-flavored Doritos, though. Those made me want to vomit.

Dromaro: You put 3-4 spaces between sentences in your posts. We can tell because we can see what you typed in the box originally when we quote you.
  • It must be my keyboard, then. I only stroke the bar twice. *shrug*
  • I only stroke the bar twice.
    That's what she said.
  • I'm glad that that didn't take long.
  • I'm glad that that didn't take long.
    I only stroke the bar twice.
    That's what she said.
  • I bought a bag today.
    So I have to ask... where did you find them? I looked at some convenience stores in NY over the weekend and found them to be... elusive.

• I have seen them at every grocery store I've been to lately in Seattle.
  • Chicken and Waffles are just delicious, end of discussion. These potato chips are a wonderful thing.
  • Chicken and Waffles are just delicious, end of discussion. These potato chips are a wonderful thing.
    Have you tried the chips themselves? It's possible that the chips are a non-delicious poor facsimile of chicken and waffles.
  • Have you tried the chips themselves? It's possible that the chips are a non-delicious poor facsimile of chicken and waffles.
    That's a good point, the physical chips may be awful. However, the concept that these potato chips represent is a wonderful thing.