This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC 2013 Gaming Grand Prix

Comments

• You get zero points for that round.
  • edited February 2013
    Question, I understand that the games are going to be a surprise to all what if you enter the competition and simply do not have the game to participate in the round?
    It is extremely unlikely there would be a round you would not be able to play due to lack of game or money. If for some reason you fail to play, you get 0. For example, I would really like a Pac-Man CE DX round, but it requires a Playstation3 or Xbox and also costs money. So it won't happen.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Also, http://thepiratebay.org/
    Yes. Old emulated games are going to be a certainty, unless you have the original. I will not pick some new $50 game that people will have to pirate.
  • edited February 2013
    Well, emulation is still technically piracy; I'm guessing the crucial idea is to avoid always-online type games (i.e. ones where you must be signed up for some kind of account), except when ubiquitous or cheap.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • If there was some way to have an FTL single-run competition without cheating or luck...
  • Well, emulation is still technically piracy; I'm guessing the crucial idea is to avoid always-online type games (i.e. ones where you must be signed up for some kind of account), except when ubiquitous or cheap.
    Ok, everyone Round 1 is Colonial Marines, time to shell out $50! lol. NOT.

• edited February 2013
    You would have to arrange with your opponent to play at some point before the deadline when you must turn in the result.
    Could be problematic given national time disparities, but ok.

I think the game I'm best at is Crayon Physics Deluxe, so that's my nominee.
    Post edited by 5ro4 on
  • edited February 2013
    If there was some way to have an FTL single-run competition without cheating or luck...
    Well, I think I know how we can get around the luck aspect - generate a map, save+quit, and then transfer the save data to everyone.

As for the cheating, I'm not so sure we can escape that aspect, but ultimately much of the system will rely on trust as cheating is always going to be possible if you try hard enough.

If you want to mitigate it a bit, you could use a time limit instead, and check it via Steam.
    I think the game I'm best at is Crayon Physics Deluxe, so that's my nominee.
    I don't think we're doing that - I believe Scott is just going to decide everything on his own.
  • He takes suggestions, so just suggesting.
  • I expect at least one competition where Scott gets to subjectively judge something.
  • If so, he will of course deny that his judgement is subjective.
  • What do we win?

I want your PAX Tsuro Medal.
    No. Maybe I will have a GeekNights medal fashioned.
    If you make a design, tell me. I'll get you a quote on having them made. Getting medals and trophies made used to be part of my business, back when I made badges and the like.
  • What do we win?

I want your PAX Tsuro Medal.
    No. Maybe I will have a GeekNights medal fashioned.
    If you make a design, tell me. I'll get you a quote on having them made. Getting medals and trophies made used to be part of my business, back when I made badges and the like.
    If we do, we will only need one made. Everyone else is a LOSER.
  • I'm in however that might conflict with a business trip.
  • I'm in however that might conflict with a business trip.
    You will have time. This will take many weeks. It will probably finish in April.
  • Ehhh, want to, but I probably shouldn't until after March.
  • Photo/video cameras and YouTube/Vimeo/Twitch accounts may be required for some rounds.
  • If you make a design, tell me. I'll get you a quote on having them made. Getting medals and trophies made used to be part of my business, back when I made badges and the like.
    If we do, we will only need one made. Everyone else is a LOSER.That's fine. Most of the time when you're doing medals like that, you usually only have an order of 1-3, unless there are multiple events.

• Like a live cam, or just the ability to take pictures/video? And would FRAPS suffice for the video portion?
  • Like a live cam, or just the ability to take pictures/video? And would FRAPS suffice for the video portion?
    Live is not necessary. Fraps is a little bit tricky. For example, you could load up a speedrun on full screen video, or play a demo in your emulator, and Fraps that. There is no evidence that you did the playing. I really doubt anyone here will cheat. I may adopt a challenge system. Everyone will submit the best evidence they are capable of collecting and uploading, and will get the benefit of the doubt as far as cheating. Only if the other participants want to challenge someone's evidence will we make an issue of it.

Thoughts?
  • As long as there is some kind of cost to challenging, that should be fine. The social cost alone is probably enough.
  • As long as there is some kind of cost to challenging, that should be fine. The social cost alone is probably enough.
    Yes, the challenging process would obviously be entirely public.
  • Bravo. Sounds fun. Mark me down as a competitor.

I'll be overseas with more-than-likely-no-access to games for two weeks in March. Still, with Grand Prix scoring there could very well be a chance to make a comeback!
  • I just had a thought. I will penalize and or disqualify people for bad sportsmanship. I don't think it will happen, but it should. I was very disappointed yesterday watching an NS2 match when the supposedly professional players were acting very unprofessional. It's one thing to trash talk. That's all good, if not encouraged. It's another thing entirely to say things like they were saying such as "die IRL."

I think I'll just simplify the whole thing down to rule #1. "No drama."
  • I'll guinea pig.
  • Needs some kind of FPS zombies game where everyone has to hide/escape from Apreche, whoever avoids him for the longest wins.
  • edited February 2013
    That would destroy the idea of this being unbiased, though it could definitely be fun.

As a side note, the kind of game that comes to mind for me is Zombie Master 2 (it isn't out yet, but the original Zombie Master was plenty of fun and definitely had potential), which is I think is very much in keeping with your idea. I do not think it has any place in the FRC 2013 Gaming Grand Prix, however.
  • My only goal is to be entertaining and entertained. Glory is in the fight, not the victory!
  • "Die IRL" itself is funny to me.