This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC 2013 Gaming Grand Prix

Comments

• I guess I should start learning how to install emulated games?
    You've never emulated a game. I've been doing that shit since the late '90s. Welcome to a world of amazingness! Every NES/SNES/Genesis game EVER right at your fingertips. I will also be trying to pick games that are available on many platforms so that there is likely to be a legal option for almost everybody if they wish to spend, or have already spent, moneys.
    Yeah, I know. I remember some thread talking about which ones to use or whatever. I was just always leary of them because I was afraid it was full of malware or trojans that would make me have to reinstall my OS.
    It's actually very easy to get emulators without malware. The emulators themselves are legal and are available through safe web sites. For example, you can get NEStopia and SNES9x from their official sites here.

http://nestopia.sourceforge.net/

http://www.snes9x.com/

The thing that is illegal are the ROM files, which are the actual games. It's pretty hard to get malware in a ROM file. Just go on Pirate Bay and find a torrent for ""EVERY (S)NES ROM EVAR." Then unzip those ROMs into a folder. Then open the emulator. Edit the settings in the emulator to your liking. Then go to File->Open and choose the ROM file you want to play. Now there is an old console game running on your computer. It's really that easy.
  • Scott will fulfill his role well:
  • Scott will fulfill his role well:
    Oh noes. A joke I do not get. Let me reverse image search that.
  • You read the book for book club. You should watch the movie if you haven't.

Also stay away from berries.
  • Oh, it's from Hunger Games movie. Let us collect all the other characters that fulfill a similar role.

• ^ Lets go with that one
  • edited February 2013
    I'm in. I will throw myself onto a figurative sword and give you all the chance to kick my ass. I suppose this also means I'm going to have to by CS:GO.

I have no confidence at my ability to stand against the people of this forum at any game apart from Fire Emblem.

EDIT: Also, I guess I'll have to pray that my desktop will actually be working by the time this starts. Well, at least I'll have low ping.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
    Someone in my German class unironically said that movie was the worst movie ever made yesterday. I had thought he was a cool guy, so I was disappointed in him.
  • edited February 2013

This is how I will ensure that people know my scores are legit.

EDIT: Previous clip did not have the part in it.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited February 2013
    Someone in my German class unironically said that movie was the worst movie ever made yesterday. I had thought he was a cool guy, so I was disappointed in him.
    Maaaan I love that movie.

Also just realized that Kitano would actually be more in-line with those other characters.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited February 2013
    I had a thought, wouldn't this idea perhaps work better at say PAX East? There a variety of board game and video games easily accessible, as well as everyone in the same location. Which allows for more shit talking, but also allows for the possibility of quick tournaments/round robins of 1v1 games.

Edit/Update: Actually as I think about it more, it might be interesting to sort of handle it like golf. There is the Grand Prix season played over a few weeks, but then there are the Majors. Which in this case would likely be PAX East, PAX Prime, PAX Aus, and maybe a forth or fifth (Magfest? Connecticon?) The Majors would basically be self contained and not necessarily effect the Grand Prix season standing, but would potentially be more difficult due to the variety of games and compressed time period to play them all in.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • Check your privilege you person who is actually able to go to PAX.
  • I'll toss my hat in. If I don't get last place, I'll be happy.
  • edited February 2013
    I'll join in. It sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

Also, organizing something like this for PAX or PAX East (maybe both?) would be pretty awesome. You just set up participants a month or 2 in advance, and the games should be pretty easy to plan that far in advance for practice as well (or keep them secret). You could have a separate division for the people who regularly attend both PAXes and maybe try to find someone who attends both that would be fine with setting up the games/schedule so that Scott could also participate. It would be like our own version of the Omegathon. You could even have a final event either early on the last day, or after the final event.
    Post edited by Neocloud on
  • Put my name down. Do not make this anything to do with any PAX.
  • edited February 2013
    Check your PAX privilege
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Yea that would suck since I am not going to PAX.
  • I hereby announce my entrance to the First FRC Grand Prix!
  • I hereby announce my entrance to the First FRC Grand Prix!
    Looks like we have ourselves a volunteer this year...
  • I'm entering. May the odds be ever in my favor.
  • And my axe!

(I'm in).
  • Okay, fiiiiiiiine, I'll play your game(s).
  • I wasn't suggesting to combine this or involve this directly with PAX, I was suggesting something similar at PAX. Maybe 5 Events, like 2 board games, 2 video games, and maybe a mystery 5th game. The grand prix should be separate from PAX for sure.
  • edited February 2013
    I will be in for now.

Since I moved to a Mac my emulation days are semi behind me. I used to emulate C64, Amiga and SNES. I could *maybe* drag out my old lappy to fire up a SNES emu.

I own DS, Wii, PS3 (and iOS) as my gaming systems, but I suspect many of these challenges will be SNES or other easily emulated platforms. If it's available on the Wii VC, ill take that option.

Lets take a bet on the first challenge! R-Type or Parodius for the SNES.

Some kind of quick play, score attack based that game that everyone should be able to easily get on the VC or emu.

Am I close?
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • Moar like Gaming Grand Pricks amirite guise lololol
  • Moar like Gaming Grand Pricks amirite guise lololol
    #tooreal