This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC 2013 Gaming Grand Prix

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Ah sweet, my old lappy booted up (it's been a while).

So I can now emulate SNES and Mame.

C'mon Arkanoid, lets do this! :)

Rainbow Islands, arcade edition, I dare you.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • Phil and I are in. I shall lose unless every round is 1v1 doms.
  • Needs some Photoshop Hero.
  • Gamepad? Check. Internet? Check. Scott's home address for bribery? Checque.

I can't wait to demonstrate how awful I am at many, many games.
  • 31 entrants so far. Response is way bigger than expected. I kind of want to start this shit now, but i said March 1, so March 1st it will be. Also, we should give it a few episodes of GeekNights to get more entrants via the meta moment.
  • I ordered a super nintendo controller usb thing off amazon for cheap. It doesn't seem like it's very good build quality, but my goal is mostly to have something that fits my upbringing.
  • Aw what the hell, I'll join as well.
  • Depending on the number of players I might have to change game formats. Even a single elimination tournament will take too long.
  • edited February 2013
    Pro Emulation Tip.

I own this and the n64 variant. Also on sale too, highly recommended.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Pro Emulation Tip.
    I have the NES and SNES versions of this for my HTPC. Highly recommend. You also can't go wrong with the XBox 360 wireless controller, except for the shitty d-pad.
  • Pro Emulation Tip.
    I have the NES and SNES versions of this for my HTPC. Highly recommend. You also can't go wrong with the XBox 360 wireless controller, except for the shitty d-pad.
    I have PS2 controller to usb converter and it works well with all kinds of emulators. And it doesn't have shitty d-pad like Xbox360 controller has.

• I have a snes and nes emulator on my r4 and that works pretty well.
  • Pro Emulation Tip.
    I have PS2 controller to usb converter and it works well with all kinds of emulators. And it doesn't have shitty d-pad like Xbox360 controller has.

I feel like I'm the only one that hates Playstation d-pads. Sure, the buttons work properly, but the fact that they have that separation between them is just as bad. Nintendo d-pad is king, and always will be.

• Fuckit, I'm in. Like I needed another reason to not do work next quarter...
  • edited February 2013
    Wow, this will be big. With this many people I think we should make sure there's a decent prize.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited February 2013
    What about this dope basketball Blanka trophy I found?

Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Let's just do CS:GO Arms Race and Guitar Hero. Every round. Cool? Cool.
  • edited February 2013
    Wow, this will be big. With this many people I think we should make sure there's a decent prize.
    Even if there's no prize, bragging rights are a pretty big deal 'round these parts.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Depending on the number of players I might have to change game formats. Even a single elimination tournament will take too long.
    Score Attack or Time Attack is an easy out.

• edited February 2013
    Even if there's no prize, bragging rights are a pretty big deal 'round these parts.
    I agree, but more people should make a decent prize relatively easy if everyone pitches in.
  • Wow, this will be big. With this many people I think we should make sure there's a decent prize.
    I agree, but more people should make a decent prize relatively easy if everyone pitches in.
    I thought of that, but an entry fee makes it hard for poor people.
  • You really don't want an entry fee, otherwise it will be too competitive and could get unfriendly. You already have issues like people people sliding emulators down to 50% speed and such, ie breaking the game, but if it *is* just for bragging rights, you would have much less incentive to cheat.
  • edited February 2013
    I thought of that, but an entry fee makes it hard for poor people.
    Just make the contribution voluntary.
    You really don't want an entry fee, otherwise it will be too competitive and could get unfriendly. You already have issues like people people sliding emulators down to 50% speed and such, ie breaking the game, but if it *is* just for bragging rights, you would have much less incentive to cheat.
    On the other hand, the forumites are generally trustworthy, and having a prize encourages playing to win, which is something Rym and Scott speak out strongly in favour of.
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2013
    On the subject of SNES controllers, when it comes to using one, nothing beats this...ever.

It is the one I use to this day.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Nintendo-Turbo-Controller-AsciiPad/dp/B000W3ZDXO
    Post edited by Geo on
  • 31 entrants so far. Response is way bigger than expected.
    Do you explicitly have to sign up? What if you're so awesome at video games you can roll in halfway through the tourney and blow everyone away?
  • I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into, but count me in.
  • Pro Emulation Tip.

I feel like I'm the only one that hates Playstation d-pads. Sure, the buttons work properly, but the fact that they have that separation between them is just as bad. Nintendo d-pad is king, and always will be.

Preach it. I have always despised Sony's controllers.

• I feel like I'm the only one that hates Playstation d-pads. Sure, the buttons work properly, but the fact that they have that separation between them is just as bad. Nintendo d-pad is king, and always will be.
    Preach it. I have always despised Sony's controllers.
    Both of you are insane. If you have any issue with the Sony controllers, it has to be the L2/R2 buttons. Every other button is perfect.