This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What's wrong with hypocrisy?

edited March 2013 in Everything Else
I've just noticed that a lot of people complain about hypocrisy as if it were the worst thing a person could do.

Now, it's defined as:
hypocrisy, n.
1: a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not ; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion]
But seriously, what's wrong with it? I hear people railing against it all the time, but they never seem to explain themselves... they just expect me to agree that there's something wrong with it.

I can see many situations in which hypocrisy could produce good results. For instance, if you realize that you need to respond with a different standard to a different but similar situation, you can do that.

Hypocrisy also allows you to keep your image consistent as you reexamine your actual values. The thing is, if you changed your image as quickly as you began to doubt your current values, you would change too rapidly for people to be able to get an idea of what you were like, and they wouldn't trust you. In many cases, you have to display hypocritical traits in order to be trusted.

There's also the advantage that it allows you to acknowledge that the choices you tend to make are not the best ones, and thus encourage others to choose more wisely than yourself, if they are able to do so.

Finally, I believe that most people (including myself) are hypocritical about something, consciously or unconsciously. I haven't met any who I would say weren't, but there might be one out there. So, what's the point of condemning it? What exactly would be the advantage if people were never hypocritical about anything?

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited March 2013
    I can see many situations in which hypocrisy could produce good results. For instance, if you realize that you need to respond with a different standard to a different but similar situation, you can do that.
    I wouldn't call doing so hypocritical.
    Hypocrisy also allows you to keep your image consistent as you reexamine your actual values. The thing is, if you changed your image as quickly as you began to doubt your current values, you would change too rapidly for people to be able to get an idea of what you were like, and they wouldn't trust you. In many cases, you have to display hypocritical traits in order to be trusted.
    As a general rule, people don't actually change their values that quickly. That said, if you are unsure about something, the best thing to do is generally to admit that you don't know.
    There's also the advantage that it allows you to acknowledge that the choices you tend to make are not the best ones, and thus encourage others to choose more wisely than yourself, if they are able to do so.
    Sure, but if you actually believe you made a bad choice and admit as much, that isn't hypocrisy.
    Finally, I believe that most people (including myself) are hypocritical about something, consciously or unconsciously. I haven't met any who I would say weren't, but there might be one out there. So, what's the point of condemning it? What exactly would be the advantage if people were never hypocritical about anything?
    Most people [X], so what's the point of condemning it? Do you not see how bad that argument is?

The biggest problem with hypocrisy is that it enables and perpetuates extreme and ridiculous viewpoints by allowing them to seem normal.

If people were less hypocritical, there are several clear and obvious advantages. For one thing, people would be better informed about others, and that would likely lead to a more compassionate society.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited March 2013
    I'm prejudiced against liars. If you don't represent who you are by what you say then I don't trust you and I don't want you involved in my life. That's why I hate politics. My family is honest, and I can choose my friends, but I can't seem to choose my politicians.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Finally, I believe that most people (including myself) are hypocritical about something, consciously or unconsciously.
    I believe that's actually called cognitive dissonance.
  • edited March 2013
    Hypocrisy and cognitive dissonance both feel viscerally uncomfortable to me. I have a very firm set of principles and passions that dictate how I act and who I associate with, and I don't like betraying them to make other people happy or to make things easier on myself. More than anything, it's easier to just be honest to a fault than to cut corners and feel guilty about it. Also, honesty and sincerity are really rare traits nowadays, and people respect them so much more; same goes for being able to admit that you were wrong.

Really, I think it's just that being real about your wants, needs, and passions is the fastest way to be a really cool, respected human being.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I only have a problem with hypocrisy in other people. ^^
  • Someone's been reading Neal Stephenson.
  • I agree with WindUpBird, and I'd add that humans probably see hypocricy as a bad thing because we're predisposed to thinking of lying as bad (harmful to our group dynamic and survival chances, generally speaking). I don't want to stray into the realm of bullshit EvoPsych, but from what I gather that's the general cause of "morality" in humans. Can some more knowledgeable people weigh in?
  • Hypocrisy belies one's intelligence.

Someone who espouses X while simultaneously avoiding it for himself, and who is unable to hide this dissonance from others, is both incompetent and a liar.

Hypocrites are either unintelligent, willfully ignorant, or incompetent liars.
  • edited March 2013
    Yes, that's mostly true of hypocrites that are found out.

There's two other possibilities, especially for those that aren't found out - they can be evil, or have been placed in a really shitty situation.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Hypocrisy belies one's intelligence.

Someone who espouses X while simultaneously avoiding it for himself, and who is unable to hide this dissonance from others, is both incompetent and a liar.

Hypocrites are either unintelligent, willfully ignorant, or incompetent liars.
    That's pretty strong. Willpower does not equal intelligence.
  • I actually like the Wikipedia definition more.

"Hypocrisy is the state of promoting or trying to enforce standards, attitudes, lifestyles, virtues, beliefs, principles, etc., that one does not actually hold."

I think hypocrisy comes from a inability to consider your actions from another persons point of view. And that leads to holding everyone else to a standard other then yourself, because you don't see your actions the same as theirs. And we as humans tend not to like people who consider themselves above everyone else.
  • Pepsi sucks. *chugs Pepsi*