This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Emotions - Anger

2»

Comments

• Hey, I was being introspective. Fuck you.
  • To wit, I can imagine no situation where extreme anger does not also warrant pity from at least one party.
    The Jump. You know the one.

• There's trivial anger, like road rage; and there's righteous anger, like getting angry about bigotry and injustice and the state of public education. The former is dumb and not worth the energy, and the latter is really important.

I don't pity people who get angry. I pity people who get angry over dumb shit.
  • I actually tend to get angrier at myself than others, typically because I've done something dumb and/or wrong and now it's negatively affecting my day. But when I do get angry at someone, it varies from a slow burn to active malice. I don't think I've ever been totally, inconsolably angry, but I've come close.
  • edited March 2013
    I used to think that, but then my righteous anger became too large a portion of my life. Now I sort it into things I can do shit about and things I can't do shit about. The state of public education is important both to society and to my everyday life, but I don't get angry about it anymore because I can't do anything to fix it.
    EDIT: @WuB
    Post edited by Greg on
  • I've found the most frightening incidents of anger on my part are related to defending myself or others. I've gotten the hang of putting frustration aside before it blooms into anger, and I know how to calm down and keep a lid on anger derived from anxiousness. Dispute my best efforts, I still have real trouble with that moment of "red-vision" anger that comes from a personal attack.

When I'm feeling really agitated, I bake. I find that the routine of measuring, mixing and forming does a really good job of insulating me from whatever got my jimmies rustled and gives me an opportunity to objectively reflect on my situation. I have testimony from several of my friends and family that my baked goods turn out much better when i'm angry. I'm not sure why.

• edited March 2013
    I have testimony from several of my friends and family that my baked goods turn out much better when i'm angry. I'm not sure why.
    That's perseverance. I'd love to be able to say that people will gladly dine on my anger confections, but alas I can't cook when I'm flustered. Once I tried to cook a pancake while I was upset about something. It kept sticking to the pan and turned out to be complete slop, which made me feel even worse.

My exit strategy is a good shower, a walk, or a beer.

Post edited by GroverBomb on
    Sorry sorry, but I wouldn't go for cliches if they did not resonate with me. If you know me you understand.