This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Girls (HBO, Spoilers)

edited March 2013 in Flamewars
This show is totally worth its own thread, since it's very worthy of discussion.

Some observations:
  • I'm really impressed with the portrayal of mental illness and the interactions Hannah has with her parents because of it. The talk she has with her parents about OCD could have been one I had with mine about depression, and her reluctance (fear?) to seek treatment or admit that she's ill is so common.
  • Ray is the only dude with his emotional and interpersonal shit together, but he cannot or does not want to self-actualize, and that makes me sad. Also, Shosh really broke my heart when she cheated on him.
  • The way Adam's alcoholism came back was one of the most viscerally sickening things I have ever sat through. I was really starting to like his character, too. Kind of predicting that he and Nat are done and Hannah will get back with him, but I'm not sure if that will be healthy for either of them.
  • Marnie sucks, Charlie sucks. Charlie will break Marnie's heart, and she probably deserves it. Charlie treats her like a home improvement project and it's bullshit ("Do you need money?"). Marnie doesn't have any idea what she wants and is ultra-judgmental and bougie. Ray was right about the new Charlie and he was right to tell Marnie to at least give her dream a shot.

Comments

• I tried really hard to get into this, but couldn't. I guess I'm not the target audience.

I'm still waiting for Game of Thrones to come back next week, and Newsroom whenever. I tried really hard to get into Boardwalk Empire and even TrueBlood in an attempt to justify my subscription, but neither appealed.

Maybe I'll look at Girls again and try to be in a more angsty mood.
  • An interesting personal/side note about the show: The only people to question my masculinity for watching the show have been female. I don't care, obviously, I just find it interesting.
  • Just tell them you watch it for the boobies.
    Tell them you watch it for the relevant social satire and complex character drama. Then you can mention the boobs.
    Tell them you watch it for the relevant social satire and complex character drama. Then you can mention the boobs.
    If they are criticizing him based on their view of masculinity then the best masculine response is "I watch it for the boobies." Mentioning anything deeper than the various cast members breast sizes will lead to further questioning of his masculinity.
  • edited March 2013
    I prefer to just always give the honest, intellectual answer regardless of what someone thinks about my masculinity. I usually do mention the boobs in Girls, but I mention them because I think what Lena Dunham is doing for feminine body image is incredibly progressive and very cool.

Most of the girls I watch Girls with find this sexy rather then effete, but YMMV, I suppose.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I think I was very specific about saying that I don't care what people think. I don't give a shit what the "best masculine response" is. It says more about them than it says about me.
  • Titles like this and being on HBO means I havn't even read the wikipedia article on this show. Also no television.
  • If it is an HBO original series it has to feature boobies. It's a requirement.

If I were to watch this show I would be watching it for the boobies, just being honest.
  • edited March 2013
    I think I was very specific about saying that I don't care what people think. I don't give a shit what the "best masculine response" is. It says more about them than it says about me.
    +1
    If I were to watch this show I would be watching it for the boobies, just being honest.
    smdh

EDIT: Do people actually watch things for boobs? Like, Fapdu and Reddit are things which will bring the boobs of your choice to you for as long as you desire. You don't need to wait 30 minutes to see breasts for five seconds. You're not eight, HBO is not your only source of nudity.

Real talk, though: The sex scenes in Girls are mostly not sexy and occasionally totally awful. This is not a show to watch for sex; the satire extends to the sexual activity and you won't be aroused.
  • No, HBO is not my only source of nudity but HBO tends to be a source of quality nudity. IOW I have zero interest in this show except for the prospect of seeing boobies. So boobies is the only reason I would even give this show a chance. If this were a broadcast TV show with no chance of seeing boobies I would not even give it a chance.

After seeing the first episode I may decide that the show is worth watching for more than just the boobies. Or I may decide that there is not enough boobies to warrant watching the show again.

If I just want a quick boobies fix I can just go on tumblr.
  • edited March 2013
    That's stupid. It's fine if you don't like the show, but ignoring art based on whether or not you get to see a woman naked is dumb.
  • That's stupid. It's fine if you don't like the show, but ignoring art based on whether or not you get to see a woman naked is dumb.
    I'm not ignoring art based on nudity I am merely pointing out that if something holds no interest to me that adding boobs to it provides a vector that I might latch onto and take the time to experience said art.

I am a male, boobs are like magnets.

• Subscribe to feministfrequency on youtube.

So far the best critic I've seen, when it comes down to critiques of female representation in media.

• edited March 2013
    Girls is the last show you should be watching for the boobies. The sex is like the unsexiest sex ever put to film.
    Marnie sucks, Charlie sucks. Charlie will break Marnie's heart, and she probably deserves it. Charlie treats her like a home improvement project and it's bullshit ("Do you need money?"). Marnie doesn't have any idea what she wants and is ultra-judgmental and bougie. Ray was right about the new Charlie and he was right to tell Marnie to at least give her dream a shot.
    Marnie only likes Charlie now because he basically turned into Booth. Bam.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Girls is the last show you should be watching for the boobies. The sex is like the unsexiest sex ever put to film.
    MFW "On All Fours"

I felt kind of sick.
  • I watch Girls because of the social commentary and the crazy awkward comedic situations.
  • Goddamn. Hannah hittin' super close to home. Adam to the fuckin' rescue. Shoshanna wtf are you doin'. Why do Marnie and Charlie get to be happy and Ray doesn't booo
  • edited March 2013
    Goddamn. Hannah hittin' super close to home. Adam to the fuckin' rescue. Shoshanna wtf are you doin'. Why do Marnie and Charlie get to be happy and Ray doesn't booo
    My thoughts exactly. Good for Ray for getting his shit together spectacularly, though.

Also, kind of feel mixed about Natalya. Her being understanding of what Adam did in the last episode was really amazing (because it rode the line of assault), but I'm conflicted about the whole "Dirty talk is BAD, rough sex is BAD, I need to FIX YOU" thing that she was doing. If you don't dig how a person interfaces with you sexually on a level that basic, probably time to call it off.
  • What was up with the end of that episode? It just didn't feel like Girls to me.
  • It totally didn't. Everyone was too happy. I feel like it's disaster in disguise.
  • What was up with the end of that episode? It just didn't feel like Girls to me.
    One drag queen said to the other.

• Might as well make predictions now:
    • Marnie and Charlie are going to self-destruct, because they don't actually love each other but are just comfortable with the amount of pain they cause each other and are kind of lost and fucked up w/r/t their priorities in general.
    • Adam and Hannah spent an entire season eating shit, so they could go either way. I hope they both wind up happy and extremely weird together. Could see the looming threat of the lawsuit putting stress on their relationship, though.
    • Shosh will probably realize that she fucked up when she sees Ray's shop. Ray, whose shit is now way more together, will want nothing to do with her. Hope Andy Kaufmann cut-out makes another appearance.
    • Jessa comes back way more together and different and it's going to freak everyone out.
  • I'd say that those predictions are spot-on, but this is Girls, so probably none of that will happen.