This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google news has gone EVIL.

edited February 2016 in Technology
Google is shutting down Google Reader. PANIC.
Post edited by Andrew on

Comments

• What the fuck? Why?
  • edited March 2013
    WHAT?! WHAT?! ... WHAT?! .................. WHAT?!
    HOW IN THE HELL AM I KEEPING TRACK OF ALL THESE BLOGS NOW. *mindexplode*
    Post edited by Aiyakiu on
  • Something about diminishing user base and focus on more popular services (like google plus).
  • edited March 2013
    Because they are secretly evil.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • edited March 2013
    I just logged into my Google Reader and it warned me it was closing July 1st.
    Cue me crying hysterically and wondering how on earth I'm going to keep track of things now.
    Post edited by Aiyakiu on
  • So, what do I use instead of Google Reader?
  • Oh crap. This is highly disappointing...
  • Yea, this really sucks.
  • Fuck. Starting to dislike Google.
  • Fuck. Starting to dislike Google.
    Whoa, let's not over-react now.
  • Anyone know any good alternatives?
  • Anyone know any good alternatives?
    Death.

• I stopped using it about a year ago, so I can't say that I mourn its loss.
  • I stopped using it about a year ago, so I can't say that I mourn its loss.
    So what do you use for RSS? Or is RSS a dead technology to you?
  • I haven't used Google Reader in a while, but that's not really the issue. The issue is that Google's history of turfing its products so regularly makes it hard to invest in the new ones it launches.
  • edited March 2013
    It's like signing up for newsletters. It can be a little overbearing when all these subscribed sites start dumping content all the time. I do like reader to update me when new podcasts are available because itunes fucking sucks at self updating. It does it eventually, but for some reason not at application launch.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • So no one has a viable Google Reader replacement?
    Yet. The news has been out for less than a day. We have 3 months to find an alternative/for people to make an identical copy.
    http://www.newsblur.com/ - they're having some load issues right now, but it seems like the nicest alternative.

Also an article worth reading:
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/13/4101534/feedly-clones-google-reader-api

I haven't used RSS for quite a while now, so I won't miss Reader. General Internet awareness + Pocket have replaced it entirely for me.
  • RSS is dying. Outside of nerds, most people don't consciously use it.
    Yes, but we are nerds. :)
    According to Reddit, http://theoldreader.com is a good replacement.
    RSS is dying. Outside of nerds, most people don't consciously use it.
    It was a perpetual part of my "Learn new information" mindflow. Also, it's the "engine" behind my podcatcher, so there's that.

I could learn to live without it, but I'm not sure I want to, at least for my webcomic tracking, as well as a few side things (mostly blogs and things like that). News can be had with Google News faster and easier than GReader.
  • edited March 2013
    I just gave Old Reader a try. It sucks.

I mainly use Google Reader to subscribe to video podcasts, and they each have a convenient direct link to each video. Old Reader can't even do that.

I also can't rename my subscriptions or scrunch my list of feeds down from All to Updated.
    Post edited by Daikun on
    Podcasts are dying, outside of nerds most people don't even know what they are. Irc is dying, basically no-one uses that anymore. Last generation consoles are dying, there hasn't been new games to them in ages.

Just because something isn't hugely popular with common crowd doesn't mean it doesn't have value for those who still use it. Just because something is dying doesn't mean it's fine to just pull the plug and kill it outright.

• Podcasts are dying. We're working on moving more and more into video and standalone content just for that very reason.

Just because something isn't hugely popular with common crowd doesn't mean it doesn't have value for those who still use it. Just because something is dying doesn't mean it's fine to just pull the plug and kill it outright.
    So would you pay for Google Reader? Why should Google keep supporting and hosting it for free?

Companies don't bother with products that aren't popular, aren't profitable, or don't appear to have any growth potential.

Google isn't stupid. They're killing it for some combination of these reasons. It just isn't popular enough to bother with.

Podcasts really aren't either. This is why podcatchers have languished in mediocrity for so long.

• edited March 2013
    Yeah, I mean, podcasts are mostly within the realm of iTunes at this point. There are some apps that can get podcasts on your mobile devices, but that's only because it's their goal to simulate a radio station. Look at stuff like Buzzam or Stitcher.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I'm actually surprised people really care about Google Reader. I stopped using it years ago. Then again, it never really caught on with me.