This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google news has gone EVIL.

Comments

• edited November 2013
    muppet said:

It's just disingenuous. And no, obviously I don't think Facebook should be using that metric either, but I'll concede that a more true-to-life metric would be non-trivial to develop and wouldn't benefit either Facebook or Google to come up with.

Pretty much. It's not the best figure, but it's the best figure we have.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • muppet said:

It's just disingenuous. And no, obviously I don't think Facebook should be using that metric either, but I'll concede that a more true-to-life metric would be non-trivial to develop and wouldn't benefit either Facebook or Google to come up with.

You mean like the annual revenue that it brings in? Every other company likes to use that one.
  • Churba said:

Man, Reddit is FREAKING OUT about this change.

I must admit, though, it's pretty fucking funny how people are going "Hurr, nobody uses G+" - yeah, actually the second biggest social networking site on the planet, guys. It's bigger than twitter, and the population of the continental united states.

Well if Reddit is freaking out about it, I may have to rethink my opinion on this change :)

• I've been trying out the "Auto Awesome" feature, it works well with multiple shots that have occurred in a short space of time but there is no way to force production of an animated gif of photos which have the same composition but are separated by a span of time greater than 30 seconds or more.

I was disappointed by this aspect.
  • I was pleasantly surprised by the few Auto Awesome images it generated for me. I haven't attempted to force it to happen. It's cute, but not amazing. I took a few shots of my kids wrestling at the park and it made a neat little animation.
  • edited November 2013
    So, I've been checking out the G+ comments on YouTube, and... It's certainly an improvement.
    You can post more than 500 characters and you can actually POST LINKS!
    This really isn't all that bad.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • One of my FB 'associates' posted a conspiracy style video about the YouTube change. His angle is that this is all about Google wanting to charge youtubers money to use the service because comments go to your email which fills your storage and eats up your 15GB of storage.

Yeah, I am so sure this guy gets 15GB of YouTube comment email every day!

PS: I am more pissed off at Google for changing the standard Android keyboard. When I got to the secondary (?123) keyboard the bottom two rows have been rearranged.
  • HMTKSteve said:

PS: I am more pissed off at Google for changing the standard Android keyboard. When I got to the secondary (?123) keyboard the bottom two rows have been rearranged.

Seriously, why do this? They also seem to have taken out most of the alt/long press options on the main keyboard. It's freaking annoying!

• I would recommend Swift Key, I like that it carries my dictionary from device to device and is quite customisable.
  • I don't usually mind the Android Keyboard (or Google Keyboard) but, the latest change does annoy me quite a bit. Looking into Swift Key and Swype but for the price tag of free you can't beat the Google Keyboard.
  • I am liking the new change to the youtube comments - Since I am on google+ and have a lot people in my circles - The top comments for me is usually of people I know.

I think it also will improve the comments on some channels - the idea Channel in particular comes to mind - you can now have true longform threaded conversations in the comments there now.
  • Wait, people use Google+?

I frankly don't; I only have an account so I can keep up with my YouTube subscriptions.

Wait, Really? Holy Shit, it's almost like it's the second most popular social network on the planet or something!
  • Google+ is the place to be if you care about indie RPGs.
  • I wish more people I know used G+, it trumps Facebook in every aspect other than user base without the crappy applications.

I look forward to using G+ but am disappointed that not many people I know use it.

I never look forward to using Facebook yet I check it once in a while to catch up with any relevant meetups or messages from friends.
  • Only 2 people in my circles are people I actually knew before Google+ (There was more but they left years ago because of "drama".), most of the people I talk to or follow are people I have found on there posting interesting or fun things usually in the comment threads of people I already follow.
  • edited December 2013
    So Feedly is apparently removing the referrer tokens of RSS feed items and replacing them with their own, effectively stealing revenue from people who support their RSS feeds with ads.

So how are the alternatives doing? Anybody got an update on using Feedbin?
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I've been quite happy with Feedbin. No complaints at all here.
  • InoReader's pretty damn good, so far.
  • Looks like Feedly fixed it. It looks like it could very well just have been a silly mistake.
  • I've been happily using Digg Reader, but I'm trying out Feedly simply because it is supported by IFTTT and Digg is not (yet). They're pretty much identical as far as I can tell.
  • I was an iGoogle user, which got shut down a few months after Google Reader. I've found a suitable replacement in Netvibes.

In general I'm pretty impressed with Google lately. They keep hitting me with new features:
    - Caller ID in the new Android OS automatically googles random numbers as they are calling me
    - Autocomplete in the google calendar location field lets me just start typing a location by name and the address pops in, which makes Google Now more useful, and easier to start GPSing to the place on my phone or Glass.
    - Auto Awesome for photos saves me a lot of time by doing "good enough" image optimization on every photo I take, and I find it very amusing when I take 3+ pictures in a short span and it automatically creates fun gifs. The slideshows and photos with effects are cute, and I can easily share them out to my family w/ pics of the kid, so I'm no longer the son that never calls.
  • You know all those jokes that Google is going to build skynet, etc, etc? Well, Not to alarm any of you, but Google just bought Boston Dynamics.
  • Have not checked Twitter yet but I wonder how many jokes about androids running Android have popped up.
  • Congrats Google, you are now a defense contractor!
  • edited December 2013
    Matt said:

Congrats Google, you are now knowingly a defense contractor!

FTFY.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • You know all those jokes that Google is going to build skynet, etc, etc? Well, Not to alarm any of you, but Google just bought Boston Dynamics.

They bought another AI firm.

Google, guys... I know you're rich as fuck and all, but can you slow down on the acquisitions just a tad? This isn't Supermarket Sweep.