This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google news has gone EVIL.

Comments

• Neito said:

Huh. Well okay then. I use Songza every day and it's brilliant. I hope they don't fuck it up.

Google may fuck up their internal projects sometimes, but I've yet to see them fuck up an acquired project.
    YouTube
  • Daikun said:

Neito said:

Huh. Well okay then. I use Songza every day and it's brilliant. I hope they don't fuck it up.

Google may fuck up their internal projects sometimes, but I've yet to see them fuck up an acquired project.
    YouTube
    How have they fucked up Youtube? It's better than it's ever been.
  • The ad situation is pretty ridiculous, but most of us don't deal with that.
  • Pegu said:

The ad situation is pretty ridiculous, but most of us don't deal with that.

So it was better when it was run entirely by burning through VC money?

• I think the amount of ads is excessive and the way they're unskippable parts of your viewing experience probably isn't that necessary. We're talking 5 second skip ads, 15 second unskippable ads, and I think I've had a 30 second unskippable ad or two.
  • AdBlock Plus. No ads ever.
  • Pegu said:

I think the amount of ads is excessive and the way they're unskippable parts of your viewing experience probably isn't that necessary. We're talking 5 second skip ads, 15 second unskippable ads, and I think I've had a 30 second unskippable ad or two.

1. As others have said you have adblock.
    2. Unlike TV you can skip an advertisement if it doesn't interest you.
    3. The advertisements are targeted towards you.
    4. They make money for the company and the content providers.
    5. Compare these to TV or Hulu.
  • edited July 2014
    Rym said:

Daikun said:

Neito said:

YouTube
    How have they fucked up Youtube? It's better than it's ever been.
    The numerous changes they made to the site over the years, which seems like every other month nowadays, forcibly and without users' input.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • So they fucked up YouTube by updating it often, changing its feature set, and doing so without the consent of the users? The users who, for the most part, have no stake in it greater than it being their hub for funny videos?

I'm sorry, as someone who not only consumes content on YouTube, but also produces content on it, you need to check yourself before you wreck yourself.
  • edited July 2014
    Daikun said:

and without users' input.

Judging by the various things I see from users both in terms of commentary and content - Fucking good.

Also, I don't get the forcibly. It's their service, they can do what they like with it. It's not like you have a controlling stake - or any stake - and get a say that they're overriding when they change things. They don't need your consent any more than you need the consent of any passengers you've had in your car before you change the oil. You don't like what they're doing with the service they own? Well, I hear Vimeo has a pretty sweet ride.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Daikun said:

The numerous changes they made to the site over the years, which seems like every other month nowadays, forcibly and without users' input.

Such as?

Sites that don't update become Myspace and die. I will never understand the ridiculous anger among web users like yourself when a few pixels move and a new button appears on a web site.
  • Rym said:

Daikun said:

Such as?

Sites that don't update become Myspace and die. I will never understand the ridiculous anger among web users like yourself when a few pixels move and a new button appears on a web site.
    They're the same people who keep using a ridiculously old version of Photoshop.
  • I just upgraded some Adobe software. OH MY GOD THE INTERFACE CHANGED SLIGHTLY oh hey it's better.
  • Is this some variant of Luddite?
  • HMTKSteve said:

Is this some variant of Luddite?

Yes, but averse to change instead of technology and with a crap ton more ego and irrational entitlement.
  • Usually it's caused by a misplaced sense of mastery. The user feels like an expert because they have mastered one specific workflow. The true superficiality of their expertise is exposed when anything disrupts that extremely rigid workflow in any way.
  • Rym said:

Daikun said:

Such as?

I wish that fuckin' reductive argument of yours would become Myspace and die.

1) I'm pretty sure that Youtube will not suddenly mutate into Google VIdeo and die if Google holds off the next layout update (Which will probably shove the subscribe button for a channel behind an ad that you need to win a game to make it go away or something equally stupid) off until the end of the year or something.

2) Not everyone gets a raging boner over the idea of using the command line and as such changes to UI, positive or not, will require some amount of effort to rework one's workflow of regardless of your ability to do so.

But hey, constant and haphazard evolution is the only way to go about UI Design, just look at Windows 8 and all of it's not sales.
  • Actually, most of the hate against windows 8 is more like IT'S DIFFERENT SO IT SUCKS without considering the actual functional differences the changes make.
  • Daikun said:
    I was really hoping for an emu with a Google sign on it.
    Conan-San said:

Rym said:

Daikun said:

Such as?

Rage post that makes no sense.
    I have read your post more times than I need to and realise I've wasted my time. I don't understand what you are trying to state.

In regards to your Windows 8 comment, the number of sales when compared to Windows 7 for the same period of sale is 83.33% in a slower PC sales market.
  • edited August 2014
    UI design is not a case of pissing up the first thing that comes to mind and shitting it onto a plate. Scrym's attitude to the subject (Deal with it or fuck off) does not help and encourages rushed and poor UI design which in turns makes the user experience awful.

That simple enough for you?
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • Conan-San said:

UI design is not a case of pissing up the first thing that comes to mind and shitting it onto a plate. Scrym's attitude to the subject (Deal with it or fuck off) does not help and encourages rushed and poor UI design which in turns makes the user experience awful.

That simple enough for you?

The simplicity didn't change, just the ability for you to convey your thoughts, thanks for clearing up your opinion.

• edited August 2014
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • I started using Inbox recently and it's very awkward as I already have labels and auto sorting setup on Gmail, so that functionality was redundant for me. The reminders, pinning and snoozing are of more interest.

Also it's weird that you can't merge 2 labels into another category e.g. I have a label for all my bank stuff and another label for all my investments, why can't I get those entire categories to nest inside Finance from the Inbox app, I would have to just make them sub labels in Gmail.
  • Yeah, the flat labeling is a bit troublesome - I talked about it with a member of the team and they couldn't find a solution they liked that worked with the bundling mechanic.
    I for one really like the bundling and some of the new workflows; and just as a mark of what good UI design does, it's a lot easier for me to hit "done" on an email than it is to archive it in Gmail.
  • Yeah, the flat labeling is a bit troublesome - I talked about it with a member of the team and they couldn't find a solution they liked that worked with the bundling mechanic.
    I for one really like the bundling and some of the new workflows; and just as a mark of what good UI design does, it's a lot easier for me to hit "done" on an email than it is to archive it in Gmail.

I played with it a bit more and realised that marking 'done' was actually archiving stuff or placing it in the labelled folders they were supposed to go to. Plus it occurred to me that bundling was just the presentation while in the 'Inbox'.

It works great for new incoming messages but I have this bunch that are just sitting there. I even worked all the way back to June of this year with sorting.

On the other hand the Gmail interface now looks completely empty due to all of my fiddling on Inbox, I guess I've committed.

I do miss not having multiple labels on an email appear though (e.g. a Steam email for a game buy would be auto labelled with 'receipt', 'steam' and 'game'.

I do really like all the developers who have adopted material design into their apps.
  • I forgot I have some tickets for Inbox if anyone needs one.