This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google news has gone EVIL.

Comments

• To nobody's great surprise, Google's publicly announced that they're launching a game streaming service on Youtube:
    Youtube Gaming

Twitch's response on Twitter is pretty good.

Yeah, I'm surprised they took such a long time, most of who went to PAX Aus last year met the Youtube Gaming representative.
  • That module's off by default except for one particular binary release which, I point out, isn't even managed by Google in the first place. Also that release has been fixed.

(And I feel that I should point out that Google does a better job of protecting user data than pretty much any other company on the Internet...)
  • Of course Google protects user data. That's how it makes money! If other people got that data, it wouldn't be able to charge advertisers as much. Same with Facebook.
  • We talked about it on the show tonight. This is a big Fuck You to Europe.
  • Makes sense since they own so much shit that isn't really related to the Google ecosystem.
  • Rym said:

We talked about it on the show tonight. This is a big Fuck You to Europe.

Everybody's talking about this on Twitter like this is the first step toward a Cyberpunk apocalypse. I'm assuming that that's insanely overblown?
  • Neito said:

Rym said:

Everybody's talking about this on Twitter like this is the first step toward a Cyberpunk apocalypse. I'm assuming that that's insanely overblown?
    Yeah, I would say so. I mean they pretty much just restructured it so Google just does Google stuff and their more unrelated projects are just owned by their new parent company. They're not really doing anything crazy new now, they're just organized differently. I think NSA spying and things like that are more cyber punk apocalypse than anything.
  • Google is no more? (well in a way) https://abc.xyz/
  • Look five posts above yours.
  • Kid tried to tell me that Google was break up, when I explained that it was a response to the European problems, he thought I was making up a conspiracy so I closed my laptop and walked away.
  • That's a skill I need to learn.
  • edited August 2015
    Rym said:

How? The EU Conpetition Comission can investigate any company that operates in Europe. Had Google shifted the relevant bits to Alphabet, the Comission would just investigate Alphabet. Since that didn't happen--Google is still the search engine, which is what the investigation is over IIRC--nothing has changed.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • RymRym
    edited August 2015
    The separation will make it very difficult for Europe to go after, say, an individual Alphabet entity that, while owned by Alphabet, has no presence in the EU. It makes it difficult to go after unrelated business units.

So, if say Google News has no office in Europe, it can ignore Europe's free speech restrictions If something else, like Youtube, does direct business in Europe, it's hard for them to go after that in order to punish the other service.

Also, it makes their argument for "breaking Google up" a lot harder to defend in court.

It further makes tax shelters, money issues across borders/across units, easier to deal with.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • OnHub

What do you guys think?
  • I would grab one if I needed a new router (and it was easily available here).
    However I would have to check the speed as it's supposedly slower than some of the new Asus routers (but a lot less conspicuous).
  • sK0pe said:

I would grab one if I needed a new router (and it was easily available here).

Clicking the "Buy Now" button (or scrolling down) provides a lot of links where you can buy it online.
  • Daikun said:

sK0pe said:

I would grab one if I needed a new router (and it was easily available here).

Clicking the "Buy Now" button (or scrolling down) provides a lot of links where you can buy it online.
    Likely none of which will work, except for an obscure seller on amazon with no ratings for fifty bucks more, and with an outrageous shipping charge. I haven't even checked yet, that's just how it usually turns out.
  • Churba said:

Likely none of which will work, except for an obscure seller on amazon with no ratings for fifty bucks more, and with an outrageous shipping charge. I haven't even checked yet, that's just how it usually turns out.

I checked the links. They all work.
  • I meant in Australia. No local availability and not worth getting from the US yet especially without seeing the other Onhub device coming up in a few months made by Asus.
  • Daikun said:

Churba said:

I checked the links. They all work.
    I did too. And I was almost exactly correct - It was ten bucks more, not fifty. The shipping was exorbitant. Every other place was sold out, or simply didn't ship here, the majority being the latter.

Like Sk0pe, I meant in Australia. Of course you can get it in America, don't be silly.
  • Most of the stuff I've heard isn't great, and that a nice router for half the price will actually give you more features. Plus I don't like the idea that I can only control it from my phone.
  • I now really like the new Google logo. I thought it was fun to start, but I recently saw the old logo and the old logo just feels soooo old.
  • Most of the stuff I've heard isn't great, and that a nice router for half the price will actually give you more features. Plus I don't like the idea that I can only control it from my phone.

You can also control it from your computer like any other router.

The major downsides are -
    single Ethernet port
    has a number of wireless hardware options turned off for the moment till accompanying hardware is released
    slower than other routers with less penetration (even TP-Link's own

So wait and see and definitely no if you have more than one computer connected by Ethernet.
  • Single ethernet port on a router? Ha!
  • Single ethernet port on a router? Ha!

Yeah it didn't make sense to me either till I realised they were going for people who had just one computer connected as the server and everyone else on wifi.
    This was the kind of setup I had when renting an apartment or house with a single phone connection in the kitchen or the central room of the house.

Even my current house has 11 devices connected to the one router but only 2 connected by ethernet ports. The second was just because I wasn't able to get a stable ping for gaming purposes and paid for an ethernet port to be placed in my room and a cable passed through some walls.

Most regular people have a single desktop connected by ethernet with everything else on wireless . I think they were targeting regular people with the user friendly nature of how it functions.
  • I have 4 devices that use the wired Internet, so...
  • I just feel like the groups this is targeted at are either super googley people who would probably be better off with a more "technical" router, and the normal people usually just use whatever router their ISP gives them so I don't see them throwing down an extra $200 for seemingly no reason.
  • Regular people don't know what a router is, let alone how one functions.