This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google news has gone EVIL.

Comments

• Google Listen still lives!
    1. Google Listen was terrible. It was ok when it was first released, but now that other podcatchers are out there, it's just terrible. You should use something else.
    2. Why would Listen stop working? It's checking RSS feeds and then downloading an MP3 if necessary.
  • Well, as I understand it, your Listen subscriptions are a folder in Google Reader.
    1. Google Listen was terrible. It was ok when it was first released, but now that other podcatchers are out there, it's just terrible. You should use something else.
    2. Why would Listen stop working? It's checking RSS feeds and then downloading an MP3 if necessary.
    It used Google Reader to maintain its feed list. I use Pocketcasts mostly but I pulled Listen down just to use it one last time. I don't think you can still find Listen in the Play Store but if you got it before it's in your list of apps.
    It used Google Reader to maintain its feed list. I use Pocketcasts mostly but I pulled Listen down just to use it one last time. I don't think you can still find Listen in the Play Store but if you got it before it's in your list of apps.
    Just download the APK, problem solved.
  • So, now The Old Reader's throwing a semi-tantrum and quitting, too. I guess Digg reader?
  • So, now The Old Reader's throwing a semi-tantrum and quitting, too. I guess Digg reader?
    I remember when you asked me why I picked Feedbin over The Old Reader. Remember what I said about "a business plan"? :)
  • I remember when you asked me why I picked Feedbin over The Old Reader. Remember what I said about "a business plan"? :)
    Ayup. In other news, Feedbin's web app is now fast enough that I'm actually kinda bothered by the lack of transitions when switching feeds.
  • If Feedly goes under, then I'll back a pay service.
  • I remember when you asked me why I picked Feedbin over The Old Reader. Remember what I said about "a business plan"? :)
    Ayup. In other news, Feedbin's web app is now fast enough that I'm actually kinda bothered by the lack of transitions when switching feeds.
    Yeah, I'm quite impressed with the work they did to bump up its speed.
  • Apparently InoReader is the new good reader to use.
  • Apparently InoReader is the new good reader to use.
    I think I like this the best out of all the ones I have tried so far. I still don't see how all of these free ones are going to make any money though. So I wonder just how long they will last.

• I guess Digg reader?
    Nope. Time for ritual suicide. Old Reader was a terrible alternative to Google Reader, but it was better than the others. Regressing to a point where we have to subscribe to newsletters is not a sensible thing to do.
  • edited August 2013
    YouTube's subscriptions page is gone now.

The simple fix used to be to add my_subscriptions to the end of the URL, but now it's gone forever.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • I noticed that too, and I used it all the time :(
  • Sure it's gone for good? There's been times it started randomly redirecting me to the main page.
  • What they was referring to was this. It was a much easier way to keep up with subscriptions.
  • edited August 2013
    Both of those point to the same page for me. Could be it's begun to be phased out.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Yeah, based on a few places online showing people starting to lose it at the beginning of the week that seems to be that case. Hopefully the update to a new type of subscription feed at some point since the current one is shit.
  • What's wrong with the current one? I'm not being contrarian, I just never used the one you guys are talking about.
  • The old one was a nice simple grid of all of your subscriptions, while the new one you have to scroll forever and it just always seems like you're missing something, in my experience.
  • edited August 2013
    You are missing stuff if you are referencing the box on the left for the subscription feed. Organize it alphabetically and scroll to the bottom to get an idea of how much. I have a ton of subscription from smaller people who post less often so only a bit more than half of my subscriptions show there. I have to go to the manage subscriptions area in order to see them all now.
    What's wrong with the current one? I'm not being contrarian, I just never used the one you guys are talking about.
    The old one had a simpler grid of all your subscriptions as well as showing their most recent videos back to a certain point on the right when selected rather than going to the channels how it does now. It made it easier to find your subscriptions and to see the all of the videos you needed to catch up on rather than having to go to their channel and select the video option to seem them. That is not to say the old one was perfect as it did not show what videos you had already viewed so if it had been a while since watching that channel you would have had to figure out where you left off.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • You people have not realized yet that Youtube is going to be folded into G+ within the next year or so. It makes absolutely no sense for Google to operate two large scale social networks at the same time and sucking in the Youtubers would give G+ some chance of success.
  • edited August 2013
    You people have not realized yet that Youtube is going to be folded into G+ within the next year or so. It makes absolutely no sense for Google to operate two large scale social networks at the same time and sucking in the Youtubers would give G+ some chance of success.
    Was this officially announced, or are you just speculating? I did three web searches on that and found nothing.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Youtube has too big of a name to be completely folded into G+. There will probably be a lot more integration between the two, like how they try to get you to use your real name as your Youtube username, but I doubt it will just become another G+ feature.
  • edited August 2013
    YouTube's subscriptions page is gone now.

The simple fix used to be to add my_subscriptions to the end of the URL, but now it's gone forever.
    There's a fix now! Yay!

Oh, and video responses are going away.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • How so? There are 4 different view settings they have to offer:

1. Title Only (Google Reader View)
    2. Magazine View
    3. Cards View
    4. Full Article View

I prefer the Full Article View.
    Not anymore, at least for the mobile app which is the one I use most often. Do any mobile readers let you view the full article without having to go the the webpage the article is hosted on?
  • Not anymore, at least for the mobile app which is the one I use most often. Do any mobile readers let you view the full article without having to go the the webpage the article is hosted on?
    Reeder at least supports a couple of page parsers if that's what you mean. On the iPad you just "unpinch" and boom, full article instantly there.
  • I'm getting more reasons to get myself an iPad.
  • edited September 2013
    imageFacetious, but containing a kernel of truth. No one who believes in the corporate "Do no evil" motto would have OK'd a cross promotion with Nestle.

I would bet that if you asked a random Google employee today what the significance of "Do no evil", chances are they wouldn't know what you are talking about. It is simply an aspect of Google's corporate identity that has dissapeared similar to the 20% time.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on