This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New podcast catcher needed.

edited March 2013 in Technology
So with de demise of Google Listen and Reader my podcast tech is dying.

So which software should I use on my Galaxy SII to catch the latest and greatest podcasts?
Post edited by tiago.bonetti on

Comments

• iTunes. Oh wait.
  • daveandjoel.com. It's the only way. T_T
  • You'd get better results just searching the Internet for Android podcatchers. Doggcatcher is okay - very full featured, but the UI and design is mediocre at best.
  • You'd get better results just searching the Internet for Android podcatchers. Doggcatcher is okay - very full featured, but the UI and design is mediocre at best.
    #define better ???
  • I use PodTrapper and I really like it. It has integration with Presto for variable playback speed. You can change the settings for each podcast individually including update interval, how many episodes to auto-download, and if it does it over wifi or cell network. Also you can set how far the fast forward and rewind buttons skip, either in time or percentage. The version from the android market was different then the one from their website. The market version looked terrible and I did not like the key layout in car mode, which is what I use while driving.

The website one has a 30 day trial if you want to give it a go. I thought it was well worth paying for.
  • I use Winamp for listening to podcasts on the PC. On Android, I used to use Google Listen (till they killed it), but now I'm trying out Stitcher and Podkicker.

Of course, the option also exists to have Winamp wirelessly sync my podcasts to my phone.
  • Why don't one of you people code an exact clone of Google Listen if you like it so much?
  • Because we either lack the programming skill, the time, or simply have more important things to do with our lives.
  • Because we either lack the programming skill, the time, or simply have more important things to do with our lives.
    Google said the same thing. So did the OSS community. ;^)

• I recall that Winamp has some sort of podcasting features, but I don't know how good or bad it is, you'll have to follow that up yourself.
  • Another solution you won't like, but I seriously recommend. If you have a non-iPhone get an iPod nano.
  • edited March 2013
    I mean, honestly, if TuneIn Radio had a podcast catching feature, there would be no further discussion from me. I would just say "Get TuneIn Radio; it's perfect."
    I recall that Winamp has some sort of podcasting features, but I don't know how good or bad it is, you'll have to follow that up yourself.
    The desktop app does and it's the best out there from my experience. The android version does not, but you can sync them over if you wanted.

Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I mean, honestly, if TuneIn Radio had a podcast catching feature, there would be no further discussion from me. I would just say "Get TuneIn Radio; it's perfect."
    I recall that Winamp has some sort of podcasting features, but I don't know how good or bad it is, you'll have to follow that up yourself.
    The desktop app does and it's the best out there from my experience. The android version does not, but you can sync them over if you wanted.

Tunein has some podcasts but I know for a fact it doesn't have Fast Karate. If you can get your hands on a Zune, it has a pretty decent podcast feature, but I mostly use Pocketcast right now.
  • The desktop app does and it's the best out there from my experience. The android version does not, but you can sync them over if you wanted.
    Desktop app will sync wirelessly, though, so there's that, at least. Sure, you might have to sync with your desktop instead of your phone, but it's better than nothing.

• Something something iPhone Master Race.
  • Here is all I want it to do. Is there one that does this?

Download new episodes for the podcasts I tell it to.
    Remember my place in them.

That's it. I don't want social neuro-targeting. I'm not interested in what my nega-self is listening to. I don't need to sync across dimensions. My friends don't care how many episodes of Sloths Quarterly I listened to this week.

Download.
    And keep track of where I am.
  • My friends don't care how many episodes of Sloths Quarterly I listened to this week.
    Pshaw, all your friends already know the answer to that - All of them.

That's it. I don't want social neuro-targeting. I'm not interested in what my nega-self is listening to. I don't need to sync across dimensions. My friends don't care how many episodes of Sloths Quarterly I listened to this week.

Download.
    This is what you want then. You don't need a Zune to use it and it has great podcast support.

Download.
    I use iTunes for my podcasts because it does just that. Although it sometimes tends to forget where I was listening. Also it works together with my iPod so that's nice plus.