This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Images

edited March 2013 in Everything Else
Because I keep finding nifty things that aren't good enough for ToYD, and I want to stop cluttering the Random Comments thread with these things.

ANYWAY.

Comments

• Is this gonna turn into a crazy shootout where she kills her parents?
  • Damn. That one hit me right in the feels.
  • Yeah... what is that?
  • I want to see the inevitable explosion.
  • That is really good. I would like to see more from whoever made it.
  • Ask and you shall receive.
    Ahahah lol
    All I could think was "get your filthy hands off that money bin you pieces of shit!"
  • I feel like any character I write has a will of their own and are just sorta living up there in my head along with all the characters I've yet to write. I love 'em like kids.
  • Well, this quickly turned into a fells thread.
  • Well, this quickly turned into a fells thread.
    I'm okay with this.

I love that image. Always have, always will. And Sonic, you hit the nail on the head when it comes to characters. Kids, the lot of them, and they'll ALWAYS surprise you given the chance.

• Quick request. For readabilities sake, can we try not to quote images, especially long ones. I takes a pretty long time to scroll past 'em, and seeing the same image in a row twice is not very useful.
  • My favorite part of that is the Protestant edition.
  • You're using rosetta stone too, huh?
    How well does Rosetta Stone work? I've seen it everywhere and I am interested in getting it someday. However, because of how widespread it is, I am little leery of how successful it actually is.

Mmhmm! I did a little bit with version 2.something, and I'm just now starting over with version 3.
  • edited March 2013
    How well does Rosetta Stone work? I've seen it everywhere and I am interested in getting it someday. However, because of how widespread it is, I am little leery of how successful it actually is.
    Rosetta Stone does an okay job of teaching words, but does a pretty shit job of teaching you anything else. If your language has a different script, it doesn't really teach you that (that there picture be in Latin characters, not katakana), it doesn't teach you grammar, it doesn't teach you natural language, etc. It's assumes that as an adult, you learn the same way that you do as a child, and research has shown that that's simply not true.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Rosetta Stone does an okay job of teaching words, but does a pretty shit job of teaching you anything else. If your language has a different script, it doesn't really teach you that (that there picture be in Latin characters, not katakana), it doesn't teach you grammar, it doesn't teach you natural language, etc. It's assumes that as an adult, you learn the same way that you do as a child, and research has shown that that's simply not true.
    Actually, in the one I'm doing, there's whole units devoted to grammar, and you have the option to switch the characters to katakana, kanji, or hiragana.
  • When I tried using it for Japanese it was fucking terrible. I'd learned Japanese a bit before but had forgotten most of it. I feel it teaches you enough to get by if you're a tourist but it basically teaches you to identify key words to piece together the meaning of a sentence. It doesn't do a whole lot to teach you sentence structure or anything like that.

I didn't get too far in it because I couldn't stand the way it teaches you but maybe it changes, I just couldn't get that far. They may have also changed it some since I tried it maybe 8 years ago.
  • edited March 2013
    Actually, in the one I'm doing, there's whole units devoted to grammar, and you have the option to switch the characters to katakana, kanji, or hiragana.
    You have the option to display foreign characters, but it never actually tries to teach you; no mnemonics or silly pictures they look like. And while there are sections called grammar, what I remember from it is it showing you something in red and that's about it. You time would probably be better spent taking a look at Tae Kim's Japanese Grammar Guide
    Post edited by Ruffas on
    Why are these all suddenly popping up on my reddit? Was there some big post on a subreddit I don't like or something?