This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Top Gear

Comments

• Didn't he punch a Top Gear production assistant rather than the Top Gear producer? The producer of Top Gear is going to be producing the new Amazon show. He probably wouldn't do that if he was the one who'd been punched.
  • I'm fine with watching this character, I like the character he plays, it doesn't mean I condone him for letting power go to his head and getting pissed off in a physical manner.
    I really doubt 100% of Hollywood stars are saints.
    Many musicians we listen to are less than stellar individuals.

All publicity is good publicity.
  • Didn't he punch a Top Gear production assistant rather than the Top Gear producer? The producer of Top Gear is going to be producing the new Amazon show. He probably wouldn't do that if he was the one who'd been punched.

Sort of - Oisin Tymon was an Assistant producer for a long time, but got bumped up to Producer about ten-ish episodes before.
  • Aha. I guess I remembered assistant producer as production assistant. As the punch was thrown over lack of food, I was sure it all happened at the production assistant level not the producer level.
  • Aha. I guess I remembered assistant producer as production assistant. As the punch was thrown over lack of food, I was sure it all happened at the production assistant level not the producer level.

Oh yeah, the reason Oisin copped it is almost 100% because he was the closest vaguely related member of crew to hand. He more than likely didn't have much if anything to do with the lack of food.
  • For me the biggest issue is Amazon. I'm completely unenamoured with them as of late and I have zero interest in signing up for prime even to see Hammond and May.
  • For me the biggest issue is Amazon. I'm completely unenamoured with them as of late and I have zero interest in signing up for prime even to see Hammond and May.

Except Amazon is the best?
  • edited July 2015
    Apreche said:

I'm sure it is, when you can access their services. But I'm not giving amazon a hundred bucks a year so that they can give me free shipping on nothing at all, and show me fancy screens that tell me every other service(all streaming and the lending library) except for photo sharing is region locked. I'm not paying a hundred bucks + currency conversion a year for shit flickr.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

Apreche said:

I'm sure it is, when you can access their services. But I'm not giving amazon a hundred bucks a year so that they can give me free shipping on nothing at all, and show me fancy screens that tell me every other service(all streaming and the lending library) except for photo sharing is region locked. I'm not paying a hundred bucks + currency conversion a year for shit flickr.
    Thanks for reminding me again why I shouldn't emigrate.
  • Apreche said:

Churba said:

Apreche said:

Thanks for reminding me again why I shouldn't emigrate.
    Because the only thing your country exports is fast food, invasion forces, and misery?

• RymRym
    edited July 2015
    Churba said:

Because the only thing your country exports is fast food, invasion forces, and misery?

Those, and hollywood.

Post edited by Rym on
  • Rym said:

Churba said:

Those, and hollywood.
    Well, more like Burbank, but yeah.
  • It may not be for everyone: but Amazon Prime IS pretty great if its in your area.

This year alone I've already easily saved hundreds of dollars worth of shipping costs on tools and parts and games and random crap, and gotten it faster and usually cheaper than had I scrounged around different places to find it. Then the fact that I can watch shows for free with it?

I rarely watch stuff anymore on prime (or netflix) but when there is something on those services, the subscription pays off big. I've not watched a lot of Top Gear, but I plan to, and I'll likely watch this replacement show as well.

• LOL well this is going to either die quickly or peter out like season 9 of Scrubs.
    Especially with -
  • I'm gonna watch it with an open mind. It won't be like old Top Gear, and that's okay.
  • I'm gonna watch it with an open mind. It won't be like old Top Gear, and that's okay.

I'll see the first episode but think about it, how many people watched Topgear just for the cars? Did it become an international phenomenon because it was guys talking about cars? Obviously not as there are many clones and even licensed versions plus it's an old format, the interaction between the hosts was the reason. If FNPL or Acceptable Vices had no Pecora, Churba or Frost and in some world where it has 100,000 more listeners and 1000 more episodes, you shut down and come back with 6 randoms, is the audience going to accept that or just delete the feed?

That's why the 2nd eventually is possible, it's like with Scrubs, you had season 8 where the heart of the show was lost and when avid listeners realised that, even after giving it a shot, they left in droves and it died at a rock bottom low rather than the soaring height of the end of Season 8.
  • Eh, I'm with Vic on this one. Remember, it took nine seasons of Clarkson/hammond/may top gear(plus that first season with the other bloke) for them to equal the ratings of the previous team(Tiff, Clarkson, Boswell, Mason).

Looking at the lineup, and considering how much they'll have to toss because the concepts are almost certainly owned by Clarkson and WiIman, I think they're going back a step and applying what they learned with post-2002 Top Gear to the scaffolding of the old Top Gear.
  • Personally I wouldn't mind if Top Gear got back to talking about cars a little bit more.
  • Chris Evans is the week link I feel there. The dude isn't polarising like Clarkson, in that he's an arse half the time. Its that he's so unlikable and boring, but that's me I'm sure there are some people that like him. The TGI Friday reboot was painfully out of date. That said the rest of the cast look pretty interesting. It would be interesting to see if they do more challenges and follow the old format, or try something entirely new.
  • Yeah, and, to be honest, I was getting a bit sick that every episode was some sort of massive road trip. I started watching NHK's Samurai Wheels well before the fracas just because they were actually reviewing cars.
  • The challenges worked when it was a special thing, a well thought out affair that was genuinely funny. The Australia one of bombing around in fast cars for no real reason felt really flat and forced. The ambulance on the other hand was pretty good, but even that not as good as some of the older ones. Its a hard balance to get really.

It will be interesting if the new presenters can bring an interesting and informative style that keeps people interested.

Then again I'm sure the Amazon show will be full of bonkersness so that can fill the niche
  • AmpAmp
    edited February 2016
    Oh another slight gripe is that Eddie Jordan is so pro-UK at times that its painful, and I live in the bloody country.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • Yeah, and, to be honest, I was getting a bit sick that every episode was some sort of massive road trip. I started watching NHK's Samurai Wheels well before the fracas just because they were actually reviewing cars.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the viewers did not watch the show for the car reviews (like 95% of the popularity). Which was the point I was trying to make poorly above.

If it becomes just a car review show, the ratings will drop quite significantly for those who aren't interested in just the cars, which is fine from our perspective because I like cars too.
    However the hosts have to be engaging. I'm not a fan of Chris Evans or Eddie Jordan either. I don't think Matt Leblanc is interesting and don't understand why people think he's funny. The other 3 are pretty good at car journalism.

I would rather watch James May teach me how to make Poachies on Toast than watch the majority of these guys review cars that I can't afford.
    Amp said:

It will be interesting if the new presenters can bring an interesting and informative style that keeps people interested.

If this show is informative it cannot keep people interested. Regular people don't want to know or understand the jargon of cars. Primarily why the very early Top Gear (pre Hammond and May) was quite boring unless there was a scene with Clarkson in it.
  • sK0pe said:

I would rather watch James May teach me how to make Poachies on Toast than watch the majority of these guys review cars that I can't afford.

Yes, but sadly May's unemployment tube is pretty much dead, now that he's, well, employed again.
    sK0pe said:

If this show is informative it cannot keep people interested. Regular people don't want to know or understand the jargon of cars.

Nah man, what do you think Roadkill, Hot Rod Garage, Mighty Car Mods, Regular Car Reviews and the like do? They take informative content, and keep people interested through presentation.

And that's what it is, it's all in the presentation. If people don't want to know or understand the jargon, don't use the jargon.

That's why Clarkson, May and Hammond were such good reviewers - It isn't that this car is fast because it's got a mark five turbo encabulator. This car is fast, because if you step on the accelerator and it's like being kicked in the back by an angry giant. It goes sideways through corners like it was designed by drunk Australians, or it sticks to the road through a corner like shit to a furry blanket. Numbers are good, but a good car review for the most part isn't about the numbers.
  • I understand that an actual "car show" might have less general appeal...but I'm a car guy. Anyway, there's a lot of good car shows on youtube now so I'm not a big deal that Top Gear isn't on or they don't review many cars anymore because I can get that itch scratched in lots of places now.

Do they archive episodes of Samurai Wheels on NHK World or do you have to catch it live? I couldn't find any at their on demand site
  • Just watched the new show.
    I personally am not a fan of Chris Evans as a presenter, his personality did not seem interesting (to me). The majority of his jokes fell flat. His desperation seemed palpable when he tried to pump up the crowd.

Matt LeBlanc was kind of surprisingly more likeable. The main issue seemed to be the obvious rehearsed performance that both provided.

None of the host changes affected the great photography and editing in the show, so that was enjoyable.

The "star in a British rally car" felt completely ungenuine, mashing up the track into a rally course seemed interesting but the whole "let's pit this celebrity against another celebrity" seemed trash and no one in that room seemed comfortable

Anything that was a callback to the old show hurts this show. e.g. pulling out the Reliant cars, intentionally smacking into each other (these 2 guys can't even pretend to be friends let alone be the convincing jovial idiots people are used to watching).

It rains in Blackpool, confirmed, I've been there, the pub right outside the main station is pretty good though.

The only truly fun and genuine bit I found was Sabine Schmidt's opening section.

Anyway, when the old guys were on they weren't a prime time show, they knew they would likely being smashed in ratings, they were genuine about the show and their thoughts (or sold it well). Chris Evans is trying to sell this version of Top Gear as if it is an improved version of the old one, which is impossible.

If it continues to be cringe worthy over the next 2 episodes I'll stop watching.

Do they archive episodes of Samurai Wheels on NHK World or do you have to catch it live? I couldn't find any at their on demand site
    Here ya go.
    sK0pe said:

*New Top Gear Stuff*

Yeah, I'm with you on most of the stuff you said. My biggest problem with Chris is that he's always shouting. Like, all the time. I want him to just relax a bit.
    I'm gonna give this new series one season and about three episodes after that. That should be long enough for them to relax and settle in. If it's not good by then, then it probably wont ever be.
  • I'm gonna give this new series one season and about three episodes after that. That should be long enough for them to relax and settle in. If it's not good by then, then it probably wont ever be.

You say that, but it took the iteration of TG that it's replacing about three seasons to get good - Remember Jason Dawes? And then nine seasons to equal the viewership of the incarnation it replaced on any regular basis.

• Churba said:

I'm gonna give this new series one season and about three episodes after that. That should be long enough for them to relax and settle in. If it's not good by then, then it probably wont ever be.

You say that, but it took the iteration of TG that it's replacing about three seasons to get good - Remember Jason Dawes? And then nine seasons to equal the viewership of the incarnation it replaced on any regular basis.

I watched all of it from back in the day, they had no star power, they took cheap shots, had the tacky write in segment which became hilarious, it was superbly weird with the infotainment section. However it wasn't like they have the insane budget, advertising and celebrities they have now.

I find it difficult to compare the two on equal footing (especially the way it has been marketed). Also the constant jabs at the previous show continue to remind the viewer of the previous show, and that is simply bad.

The "Extra Gear" show is more fun to watch than the main event, that is quite the worry if you consider how much money when the expectation for the main show is so high.

Every other time somebody has tried to make Top Gear it has failed pretty hard, I gave Top Gear Australia and Top Gear America good tries but when it came down to it, the hosts were the most important. There are a number of people that watched the original show who did not care for cars at all but enjoyed the entertainment. This portion of viewers is the majority and is likely the most fickle.

Top Gear has a big enough brand name to keep going but I think that the Amazon show will likely draw a bigger crowd and drown out everything else (not what I want but that's my guess).