This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Which Paranoia rule book to get?

Not sure if I should go with the latest printing -- which is actually three different books -- or one of the older ones. Which is best for a novice GM?

Comments

• Don't run Paranoia if you don't know what you're doing.
  • One of the biggest traps a new GM falls in to is thinking that the system matters.

With a few exceptions (FATAL), the system tends to mater precious little. What matters is more your ability to perform under pressure, come up with interesting scenarios, etc.

That said, I believe 5th edition or something like that is the bad one, and XP is the good one?
    Don't run Paranoia if you don't know what you're doing.
    That's horrible advice.
  • edited March 2013
    Don't run Paranoia if you don't know what you're doing.
    Yeah, I'm going with Neito on this one. Always try. Always.

Here are rule book options:

Paranoia (1st Edition)
    Paranoia (2nd Edition)
    Paranoia (5th Edition)
    Paranoia (Mongoose Edition)
    Paranoia 25th Anniversary

Nothing about XP.

Let's skip the part about the novice GM. Which one of these is the least screwed up/makes the most sense?

Suggestions?
    Post edited by Constantine on
  • I have a PDF of XP if you would like me to share it with you. I think it's out of print.
  • That would be great. Thank you! curseyoukhan -- at -- gmail etc...
  • Don't run Paranoia if you don't know what you're doing.
    Yeah, I'm going with Neito on this one. Always try. Always.

Here are rule book options:

Paranoia (1st Edition)
    Paranoia (2nd Edition)
    Paranoia (5th Edition)
    Paranoia (Mongoose Edition)
    Paranoia 25th Anniversary

Nothing about XP.

Let's skip the part about the novice GM. Which one of these is the least screwed up/makes the most sense?

Suggestions?
    The Mongoose version is XP. Microsoft kinda sued them and made them take out the XP.
  • I have XP. They are all probably equal but different. I would probably use the newest or the oldest or just XP because that is what I have.
  • Hey, this is 'Murka. Equal but different was found unconstitutional. Get outta here, you goddman commie.
  • edited March 2013
    One of the biggest traps a new GM falls in to is thinking that the system matters.
    I disagree with this completely. That said, Paranoia would not be the keystone in my argument that System Matters.

If you can find Paranoia 2nd Edition, use it.

Paranoia (Mongoose Edition) is the same as Paranoia XP—the name got changed when Microsoft complained.

Newest Paranoia that plays like classic Paranoia is Paranoia: Troubleshooters. That's the one you should get if you can't find a used copy of 2nd Edition (although, get it from Amazon, don't import it from the UK). It's part of the 25th Anniversary Edition in your chronology.

Lately, I've been using Paranoia XP with a 2nd Edition feel. I think the next time I run Paranoia, I'll just use the 2nd Edition straight up. Having not actually read or played it, I'd recommend Paranoia: Troubleshooters over Paranoia XP just because I know they reverted how damage and treason works away from XP's version.

Let me know if you have any more Paranoia questions. I also have an rpg.stackexchange answer about running Paranoia that might be useful to you.
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • What is the difference between the damage/treason rules in the two versions?
  • XP made both a complicated, unnecessary mess. From what I can tell, the new Paranoia has simpler damage and uses Treason Points, straight up.

XP's damage uses weapon damage ranges and a value for looking at multiples of the margin of success to step between damage ratings. 2nd Edition just cares about the margin.

XP's treason system is as complicated as their weapon damage system, and involves keeping a running total per citizen. There's also some annoying business about having players write treason codes on their sheets which get totaled up for debriefing. Treason Points are so much simpler: A citizen hits a critical value and now The Computer wants that citizen dead.

In sort, my Paranoia sessions post-XP are quick affairs where I just want to deal with direct results than keep up with mechanics that slow things down. (For the last ten years, I've run Paranoia exclusively as one-shots.)

Next time I run Paranoia, I'll just revisit 2nd Edition.
  • One of the biggest traps a new GM falls in to is thinking that the system matters.
    I disagree with this completely. That said, Paranoia would not be the keystone in my argument that System Matters.
    I'm probably exaggerating a bit when I say system doesn't matter. It certainly doesn't matter as much as many starting DMs seem to think.

I also meant "The system doesn't matter" in response to the narrow question of "What system is good for a newbie?", not the broader question of "What system should I use to run this game?", which is a far different question.
    I'm probably exaggerating a bit when I say system doesn't matter. It certainly doesn't matter as much as many starting DMs seem to think.

I also meant "The system doesn't matter" in response to the narrow question of "What system is good for a newbie?"
    I continue to disagree. Some systems are way more friendly for newer GMs than others. For example, D&D 3e is terrible for everyone but especially new GMs.

For Paranoia, though, anything a gamer can get a hold of will work for a new GM. However, since Paranoia plays on RPG tropes—players working together on a common goal, players being helpful, rules being up front—it's not necessarily the best game for a starting player.
  • For example, D&D 3e is terrible for everyone but especially new GMs.
    Erm, it's actually more terrible for new GMs than ones that progressed through the previous iterations of the game. Not sure how you logic'd that.
  • For example, D&D 3e is terrible for everyone but especially new GMs.
    Erm, it's actually more terrible for new GMs than ones that progressed through the previous iterations of the game. Not sure how you logic'd that.
    I think you misread: we agree on this point.
  • edited March 2013
    Oh, but. But but but. It would have been slightly more clear with a comma instead of the word but.

Also, it's actually a great game for people that want exactly what it offers. That segment of the population does, in fact, exist.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on