This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Practical Game Theory

edited April 2013 in GeekNights

Practical Game Theory
PAX East 2013

Presented on Saturday on the Tabletop Theatre, our 22nd PAX panel/lecture, we discuss a variety of game theory concepts and terms from the perspective of practical use as players of games. Being familiar with basic concepts like "cooperation" or "utility," coupled with an extended study of the "toy" games that actually exist as subgames within your games, you will be able to form more powerful heuristics for making good decisions.

We touch ever-so-briefly (and with a degree of oversimplification) on Combinatorial Game Theory, but ask the audience to attempt a sort of "deconstruction" of the class game Nim in order to arrive at some of the same basic principles.

Source Link

Comments

• Think about it!
  • This panel could use some work.
  • This panel could use some work.
    Yup. A first run in a small room. ;^)

• The audio was surprisingly clear, though.
  • I think you hurt hat guy's brain at 37:15.
  • Did you guys record Mastering Game Mechanics as well?
  • I think you hurt hat guy's brain at 37:15.
    Hat guy is me. I apologize for moving around so much, I didn't realize I was in the shot. Nothing in there hurt my brain, more likely that is when my phone was buzzing to tell me that JTvH had added me to the Groupme.
  • Hah! ;^)

No worries. I warned everyone it's hard to video in that room. That was the best angle I could get, since we weren't allowed to move the chairs.
  • It's kinda hard to record at cons in general since you have to respect fire code.
  • Hah! ;^)

No worries. I warned everyone it's hard to video in that room. That was the best angle I could get, since we weren't allowed to move the chairs.
    At least you made a video. That was more than what I expected.

• I've been thinking about this ever since watching the video of this panel...

What sout making a series of games whose sole intent is to make the player realize the "game theory game" at play in the game they're playing. In effect attempting to force the realization of the relationship between theory and practice?

As I've mentioned before, I'm working on my first game so I examined it under those contexts. At least 3 (I didn't go through the whole list) apply. Perhaps there is some innovative way to bring that forward to the players? A blurb in the rules? If it ever gets published, put it into a series if sorts? This idea seems like it has potential but I could also be crazy. Well, I am crazy but crazy about this idea specifically. ;-)
  • Odd, this appears as a related video to this one, you may say the mentioning of his book may have helped.