This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Return of the Kings - Daft Punk

Comments

• Seems like the key to making a Daft Punk album is to take a bunch of musicians, put them in a studio for a few days and give them all the drugs while recording everything. Then find the few seconds of great sound and loop that shit.
    You'd be surprised how many records are made this way.
    No. Not surprised.
  • I really like the more Daft Punk style bit that creeps through at the 2:20 mark, and it makes me hope that the rest of the album exhibits more of that, but honestly, the new track is a bit boring. There's basically no evolution to the song, and the bit that got me going ended in 30 seconds.

Someone should mix it so that instead of Pharell saying "We're up all night to get lucky", have Daft Punk singing it every time.

On a side note, does anyone get a Hot Chip vibe from this song, at least with the vocal progression?
  • The song has grown on me quite a lot. I now consider it a "nice song". Who knows, maybe one day I'll really like it.
  • edited April 2013
    it kinda just sounds like a Daft Punk remix of a N.E.R.D. song to me and if you consider it like that then it seems less disappointing.

I'm not sure why this says Daft Punk since I don't think there is anything Daft Punk related in there. I could be wrong though.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • No one has mentioned how the radio edit of Get Lucky fades out right as something new starts happening. The one complaint I'm sympathetic to is how the song doesn't really "go" anywhere, and I'm betting/hoping that the album version will have more of a development section than the radio edit.
  • Anthony was more indifferent on the track than I thought he would be.

• No one has mentioned how the radio edit of Get Lucky fades out right as something new starts happening. The one complaint I'm sympathetic to is how the song doesn't really "go" anywhere, and I'm betting/hoping that the album version will have more of a development section than the radio edit.
    This is a good point. The best part of Hello Goodbye (IMHO, and Lennon's HO) was taken out of the radio edit. There could be more after the end of what was released.
  • Anthony was more indifferent on the track than I thought he would be.
    He pretty reiterated my feelings on the track.

• edited May 2013
    I like the Daft Punk version better, but that one is still damn good. All those rapid jump cuts are making me a bit nauseous, though. And that horn is annoying.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I think the Barrnett cover is more dynamic and actually better. It certainly has more oomf to it.
  • The horn is the only thing I don't like about it. Otherwise I enjoyed it more than the original, although that might only because I already know the song the song via the original. If I'd heard this first, and not known where it was from, I'd probably have been as unimpressed as I was with the original when I first heard it.

• He actually teases some of the other tracks on the piano.
  • edited May 2013
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • "They could easily repeat themselves. Believe me they know how to do it."

Y U NO DO DIS CONSTANTLY?
  • If you're an artist, would it be a challenge to continue doing the same thing over and over again?
  • If you're an artist, would it be a challenge to continue doing the same thing over and over again?
    It's not good to do the same thing over and over again with little variation. Then it gets stale and boring. But sometimes it is good to do the same thing over again at least two or three times. If that thing is really good, more of it is a good thing, as long as it's not too much.

If a slice of cheesecake tastes good, two slices is better. Three slices, maybe even better. Four or more, you will barf trying to eat them all.

If they can just make something like Discovery 2: Electronica Boogaloo, that would definitely be a delicious second slice of cheesecake. If they start to make Discovery 3,4,5, then that's too much.
  • Same thing over and over?

• As a consumer, we don't mind a bit of the same. I think as an artist, they prefer to keep changing it up.
  • Damn you Rym! That music video brings back memories. Sweet Memories.
  • edited May 2013
    If a slice of cheesecake tastes good, two slices is better. Three slices, maybe even better. Four or more, you will barf trying to eat them all.
    But music is not like cheesecake! You can listen to an album over and over, but you can only eat a slice of cheesecake once. It's more like, if you have a slice of cheesecake that you can eat over and over, what good is having a second slice of cheesecake? But if the second slice is pie, then you have never-ending cheesecake AND pie, which is emperically better.

Ugh I'm hungry.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited May 2013
    Besides that, who wants to just eat the same slice of plain cheesecake over and over? What about, like, chocolate swirl cheesecake? Peanut butter cheesecake? Mint chocolate chip cheesecake? Pumpkin cheesecake? What if you want to put some sour cream in there?

Sticking with plain cheesecake all the time is boring.

Unless your cheesecake is Amon Amarth. That's a different story.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • OMG this metaphor is getting weird. You guys are all obsessed with cake and pie and shit, and I'm just trying to read a topic about Daft Punk.
  • OMG this metaphor is getting weird. You guys are all obsessed with cake and pie and shit
    I hadn't even gotten into shit yet. Because what I said before isn't my exactly true, you can eat a slice of cheesecake twice, it's just that the second time it's poop.

The relation of this to the nature of art should be obvious.
    Sail, proud of youuuuu.
  • More to the point, Random Access Memories is a calculated departure from past Daft Punk records, even for Daft Punk, a band that, over the course of its lengthy reign as the most well-known and critically revered dance-music act on the planet, has made a point of never making the same record twice. Only a handful of people have heard the album so far, but the two men already seem resigned to the possibility that no one will like it.

"In Scream 2, they have this discussion about how sequels always suck," Bangalter says. In this scheme, Random Access Memories might as well be Scream 4. "The thing we can ask ourselves at some point is like: We're making music for twenty years. How many bands and acts do you have that are still making good music after twenty years? It always sucks—almost always, you know?"

And de Homem-Christo, who has said maybe a few dozen words up to this point, most of them about salad and directed at our waitress, peers over the golden top edge of his sunglasses and says: "So our new album is supposed to really suck."
    Interview
  • You should have quoted this line

"Daft Punk, they say, is something that happens only when they want it to. Superman has to be Superman all the time."