This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - High Bandwidth Content Distribution

edited April 2013 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider how video (and other high bandwidth one-way content) is distributed on the Internet, including a brief history of satellite television in North America and how its unresolved issues remain to this day. In the news, FOX threatens to go cable-only if Aereo isn't shut down, different levels of shady are occurring with ISPs and HTML content, and France doesn't understand the Streisand Effect. Rym enjoyed a bomb scare outside his office, Amazon amazingly mis-delivered a package, wallets seem to be the hot thing to Kickstart, and Lawdingo seems like an interesting way to find a lawyer.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Here's the Lowdown on Crash Course:

John Green is a New York Times best selling author of young adult fiction. His brother Hank Green runs the website ecogeek.org and is also an independent musician. In 2007 they started a little YouTube project they called "Brotherhood 2.0" where they sent publicly available vlogs to each other via YouTube with each brother taking turns each day. The project became very popular and they built a community around it and they made contacts to other YouTubers like ViHart, Brady Harran (Sixty Symbols, Periodic Table of Videos, etc.) CGPGrey and so on (all of which have been featured in ToTD before btw.)

Their vlogbrothers account is still active, though they have reduced it to two videos a week, one from John, one from Hank.

Out of their little project it grew that Hank now also runs the convention VidCon and the DFTBA records label which is basically a merchandising platform where he wants to give a better deal for artists. He also has merch for other YouTubers as well as Crash Course there.

A couple of years ago they made a deal with YouTube and started Crash Course where both John and Hank present educational content. John has made series on World History, Literature and now does the US History thing that is currently ongoing, while Hank has done Biology and Ecology so far, and is currently hosting a series on Chemistry. All of them are excellent. At the same time Hank also started a sister channel in a similar model called SciShow which has less of a classroom format and the videos are usually shorter but more current.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Google autocomplete, when typing in streis..., brings up Streisand Effect before the name Streisand. I think that's a pretty good indication of what she is famous for now.
  • Also, when it comes to broadcasts, never forget the Max Headroom Incident.

• Two of the other big network might actually go off the air due to the Aereo case.
  • So, correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't we technically been able to do the same thing Aereo does for the last 10+ years? I don't see why it's such a big deal.

(Also, those are our public airwaves they're using, that we allow them to use. Mayhaps we should just kick them off and free up those airwaves for something else?)
  • So, correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't we technically been able to do the same thing Aereo does for the last 10+ years?
    Yes, well, nobody did it until Aereo, did they?
  • Hey guys I was able to buy a Jimi Wallet through paypal today. Either they fixed the site, I bought the wrong wallet or it's ok through paypal.
  • Thanks, the podcast was great. I think that the TV networks are just upset that some else is making money from their content, without paying them. I used to work for a local TV station, so I know a little bit about how the money works. The Networks should be happy that they are able to reach more people with there adds. But all they see is the small loss in revenue and control. Thats too bad.

I used to install the satellite dishes and there is a Canadian channel in the clear ( last time I looked) down and left from the Direct TV main SAT. Also many TV shows are downloaded, via a dish, the night before and recorded by the local TV Station. This way they can air at there scheduled time.

Anyway thanks again for such a great show.
  • So, you guys mentioned Locke Lamora? And no date announced for the next one?
    I found this not two days ago.
    Kiiiind of excited. Get to learn some more creative cussing.
  • So, you guys mentioned Locke Lamora? And no date announced for the next one?
    I found this not two days ago.
    Kiiiind of excited. Get to learn some more creative cussing.
    Ohhh Sh....
  • edited April 2013
    Infesting note, since I just got around to listening to this episode - I'm currently learning about cryptography from the person who basically invented the scheme that satellite TV boxes now use to authenticate themselves when they need to decrypt satellite signals.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • I must say, thank you for this episode. It helped me understand better what someone very dear to me does. Most helpful.
  • It's good when you guys talk about stuff you know about.
  • NeoNeo
    edited April 2013
    If you really want an entertaining yet informative explanation of why the Mongols were so important in history and more examples of them being the exception to so many rules, check out Dan Carlin's Hardcore History 5 part series he completed a few months ago on the subject, it is very well done.

http://dancarlin.com/disp.php/hharchive
    Post edited by Neo on
  • Crash Course is caught up to the present in both world and US history.

WHAT DO I WATCH NOW?