This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mouse usage

edited April 2013 in Video Games
I'm wondering if people use 2 or 3 fingers on their mouse? As in do you always have your middle finger on the scroll wheel or does your index finger pull double duty. I generally only use 2 fingers.

Comments

• I'm a two-fingerer myself, with the thumb for special side buttons.
  • I use 2 fingers, one on each left and right button.
  • Middle finger always on the scrollwheel: 3 fingers total.

Otherwise, you have to move fingers to scroll or click.
  • 2 fingers. It's not something I've ever thought about.
  • Two fingers; I just checked, and they regularly trade off scroll-wheel/middle-click duties.
  • I can't imagine using only two fingers. I'm constantly clicking with all three buttons all the time.

I use ultra high sensitivity, and moving my fingers at all would often cause the pointer to move.

Also, gaming. I can't imagine playing a game like CS only touching two of the buttons on your mouse.
  • I gotta shift back to three fingers I usually just use two apparently.
  • I can't imagine how that's comfortable.

And you lose maybe half a second moving to the scroll wheel.

And if the small motion of moving your fingers like that would really move the pointer enough to worry about, I dunno what to say.
  • If I'm doing internet work stuff: 2 fingers.

If I'm gaming: 4 fingers. Side thumb button.
  • edited April 2013
    I can't imagine using only two fingers. I'm constantly clicking with all three buttons all the time.

I use ultra high sensitivity, and moving my fingers at all would often cause the pointer to move.

Also, gaming. I can't imagine playing a game like CS only touching two of the buttons on your mouse.

Side buttons man. Also what the hell are you doing that warrants clicking in the wheel so much?

EDIT: nevermind, I can see with ultra high sensitivity it makes sense. It still just seems weird to me.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Scroll wheel almost never comes up for me. I have 14 buttons for my thumb, four for index, two for middle.
  • 2 fingies. Index does left click and scroll wheel.
    I always use the highest mouse sensitivity the OS will allow and I can shift my finger to the wheel without my cursor moving at all.
  • edited April 2013
    Mostly like Ro: 2 fingers for dicking around or working. 3 finger for gaming - I hate thumb buttons.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Index finger does most of the work. Middle finger handles right click.
  • Thumb buttons are great. I just have 2 on the Imperator. I use it for switching to last weapon and crouching.
  • I have thumb buttons that I literally never use. I do use the sensitivity changing buttons above and below the scroll wheel.
  • 2 fingers 99% of the time. If I was more into PC gaming (maybe when I build my next rig as I'm leaning more into that direction), I may be more willing to use 3.

Oddly enough, I used 3 fingers when I had a true three-buttoned mouse in the days before scroll wheels, but with two buttons and a scroll wheel I went back to two. Clicking the scroll wheel with my middle finger just doesn't "feel right."
  • 2 fingers plus thumbs. Thumb buttons are primarily used for voice communication. I rarely utilize a scroll wheels since I just use 'q' to quick switch between weapon pairs.
  • Thumb for voice. I should try that.
  • what the hell are you doing that warrants clicking in the wheel so much?
    Context menu, "open in new tab with middle click," constant scrolling around, and primary clicking.

In CounterStrike:

Left click: Fire
    Middle click: Scope/Zoom
    Middle scroll: change weapon (fast knife/pistol)
    Right click: walk foward

Left hand on Keyboad:

Index finger: strafe right
    Middle finger: strafe left
    Ring finger: walk backward
    Pinkie finger: jump
    Thumb: Crouch

• I use a mouse to click the File>Print menu option in my AOL e-mail, so I can properly file all the political humor my fellow nursing home residents forward to me.
  • My thumb is primarily for moving the mouse (leveraged against the pinkie), so I can only use it for a thumb button in slow games like Deus Ex.

I use drivers (or in the old days, registry edits) to set extreme sensitivity. I don't like my mouse to move more than an inch, maybe two, in any given direction when playing FPSs or using my computer.
  • edited April 2013
    That's how my cousin plays. I can't stand it.

Most of those middle scroll things I delegate to the thumb buttons.

I also use wheel click to open in tabs but I don't need to dedicate a finger to the action since I'm not using the left click in that case.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I've never really used the scroll wheel click cause half the time I end up also rolling the wheel and fucking up whatever I was trying to click.
  • edited April 2013
    While a lot of games bind next and previous weapon to scroll up and down. If you bind your two main weapons instead, you can very quickly get to your main gun or pistol.
    I use a G9x which has a really bad scroll click in return for it's frictionless scroll ability which is so worth it.

I'm not sure on the use of thumb buttons as my thumb is responsible for gripping my mouse, due to my hands being too big for any mouse to be moved with my palm (If I put my palm on the back, my fingers hang a centimeter off the front at least.).

Portal 2's use of scroll for zoom was pretty clever.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I've never really used the scroll wheel click cause half the time I end up also rolling the wheel and fucking up whatever I was trying to click.
    That's a function of a shit mouse. ;^)

I don't move my arm when I move my mouse, and I barely move my wrist. My thumb and pinkie do most of the work. My wrist turns left and right a bit, but is planted solidly and never moves forward or backward: that's all finger action.

• I'm two fingers, but I position my mousing index finger such that I can click the middle mouse just by nudging it a bit, so I don't need to lift it over. Having all three fingers on the mouse just feels cramped.

Rym, your setup seems crazy, can't imagine playing with that. Mine:

Left Mouse - fire
    Right mouse - scope
    Scroll up - molotov
    Scroll down - decoy
    Middle click - smoke
    Thumb - voice.

Keyboard is pretty much the defaults - thumb to jump, little finger to crouch. I also have index on flashbang and HE (f and c, respectively).

Having experimented with a number of different sensitivities, I tend to perform best on pretty low. People rarely move a large screen-distance in CS, so I prefer the fine grained control of a low sense. Quake I play on high, however.

• edited April 2013
    Two fingers; Index finger for left clicking and wheel, middle finger for right clicking.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Only one finger, like a real man.
  • The real question is who is rocking that trackball action?