This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX PRIME 2013 4 days of PAX-TRAVAGANZA!

Comments

• Although what you are saying isn't necessarily true.

I could see it going either way. There are plenty of friends of mine who I've only convinced to go to PAX in the past year or two, and they are excellent attendees. We might wonder what these off-the-grid people have been doing with their lives, but there are a lot of them who will continue to show up to PAX for their first time and they can learn to do it right.

I also don't think a few extra passes being available means that a bunch of assholes are going to line up and buy them.

Lastly, it's not a guarantee that people who would boycott PAX over recent events are necessarily awesome people. I do know some awesome people who won't be back, and other have legitimate issues or feel unsafe/offended. Others just want to seek out the negative in things in life and be the cool kid who protests, or they might be that guy who takes their reactions to the extreme. "Person who makes a huge deal out of everything" is not necessarily who I want to hang out with.
  • Off-the-grid people don't even know there was a controversy.
  • So, most of you have read this post by Mike. I think it's pretty good, and it's written in an uncharacteristically humble tone. I hope he learned from this though and doesn't try to fix gender relations anymore.
  • Off-the-grid people don't even know there was a controversy.
    I just did a sampling of some gamer friends. Rym is absolutely, 100% correct. Even with the controversy on the front page of Wired, above the fold. It's amazing how the world works sometimes.

Also, I'm fully aware that this is a completely anecdotal and huge asshole comment, but of the people I've seen who have been the most vocal and public in their boycott outcries, every time I clicked to see that person's profile, they were always from Portland. It happened 5 out of 6 times.

• edited September 2013
    So, most of you have read this post by Mike. I think it's pretty good, and it's written in an uncharacteristically humble tone. I hope he learned from this though and doesn't try to fix gender relations anymore.
    It is a nice post, and both very honest and very "Mike," but I do really wish he just emptied the firehose of regret. At this point, take down all the comics, ban the shirt, do literally anything possible to bury this controversy. It's not losing if you were never going to come off as the good guy in the end anyway.

Post edited by Matt on
  • I liked it. It won't be enough for most people, but I accept that. They did the damage already, people already don't feel safe at PAX because people who are okay with this and who initiated all of the threats to begin with are still at PAX and still cheer for Dickwolves merchandise.
  • edited September 2013
    And despite that, I will still assert that PAX still has the best, safest community of any (at least any major) US geek convention. Maybe not better than Connecticon.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • That may be true, but the damage is done, and everyone who I've seen talk about it has such legitimate points that it's hard for me to argue with them. I still want to go to PAX, but they have made me think.
  • And despite that, I will still assert that PAX still has the best, safest community of any (at least any major) US geek convention. Maybe not better than Connecticon.
    Well, not better than GeekGirlCon either, but those are much much smaller than PAX. It says more about how awful the other big conventions are than it says about PAX.
  • Lesson 1 of the world: on average, people are fucking awful.
  • Fuck everyone involved with this "controversy"
  • I...Disagree. I think people have a right to voice their discomfort. Several people have been marginalized and feel mistreated, and their honest opinion voicing is helpful to make the community grow.

I hate that there has to be fighting and arguing, and I wish everyone could just stop, but I won't blame the people who were hurt for speaking up and starting the controversy.
  • edited September 2013
    I agree with Axel here. I think a lot of the anti-PAX / pro-boycott people were very quick to ascribe intentions and attitudes to PAX that just aren't there though, but I don't blame them too much considering that most of the world (and the organizations within it) have those shitty attitudes and intentions. That being said, the grandiose statements by supporters on both sides were definitely not helpful to the discourse.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited September 2013
    There are always the dicks and the people who go overboard. I don't bother talking about those people. The reasonable, intelligent people that I follow who were upset were just that, and I don't intend to ignore what they say just because I think the whole thing has blown up more than it needed to.

That all being said, I want Twitter and Kotaku and everybody to shut the FUCK up about it for a few days.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • I think we need to exhale and dance a little bit.

• Honestly, now that Mike has spoken, and MC Frontalot posted the most comprehensive and rational look at the entire situation, there's nothing more that needs to be said or done. This will run its course and we'll be left with the outcome.

I got to a point yesterday where I felt the volume got a bit too loud. That wherever I turned, people were attacking something I loved from w/o understanding the entire situation, yet using the moral high ground to establish an irrefutable stance. For a moment, I probably let it feel personal, like it was me getting attacked. Done with that shit now! Happy and moving on with life.

Can't wait for PAX East :D
  • Fuck everyone involved with this "controversy"
    This shit is like a scab. People need to pick that fucker only to see it bleed, and then complain when it hurts.
  • I am for real going to push for some gender-neutral bathrooms at PAX. One actual, concrete gesture will speak louder than any number of words.

Enforcers, comment on my thread in the E forum if you agree (or disagree). ;^)
  • There was also the other thread where Enforcers are donating towards RAINN or something like that. That's cool.
  • Rym's idea is excellent. I'm much more inclined to support that than toss some cash to a charity.
  • I am for real going to push for some gender-neutral bathrooms at PAX. One actual, concrete gesture will speak louder than any number of words.

Enforcers, comment on my thread in the E forum if you agree (or disagree). ;^)
    I like this idea and think it will do more to smooth things over then any blog post.
  • I also like the idea of Rym busting out his secret [E] militia for thumb-palooza. Come up with more good ideas.
  • Here it is! Hedge-Maze Hijinks! https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3lydjntk48q3sbz/8tHMX9dIyg

Make sure to read the play tester instructions first! Tell me what you think!
  • Just about done editing the video from Bad Games. I should have it rendering to upload tomorrow. Probably the fastest post-convention turnaround ever.
  • Bad Games:
  • edited September 2013
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Yeah. So not going to East now.
  • Yet another reason to boycott PAX

http://timandjeni.com/blog/incredible-shrinking-pax-medals/
    This is almost as unforgivable as the Omeganuts controversy.

• The fucking horse head at the end did it for me.

I expected him to touch on the fact that they did away with second and third place medals, but he did not! I actually think that is very smart, though. First place is all that matters, and putting a prize on 2nd and 3rd can lead to some game-breaking king-making.

I'm sure I've told the story several times, but I go back to the Prime 2010 Small World tournament where I could either level the playing field by taking down 1st place by sacrificing myself a bit, or act in self-interest and lock up 2nd. I got myself that first loser medal. I'm not proud, but I'm not giving that sexy little decoration back either. NEVER would have considered my move if only 1st place mattered.