This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Drugs

edited April 2013 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about drugs (which means we talk about pseudoephedrine, Dimetapp, LSD, marijuana, alcohol, caffeine, immortality, and transhumanism, in about that order). Heading that up, Daft Punk's new album is eagerly anticipated, and New York is not an amusement park.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Rym you shoulda just brought up this: http://marijuana-uses.com/mr-x/ If Sagan vouches for it, how can Scott not try it? I mean come on
  • Rym you shoulda just brought up this: http://marijuana-uses.com/mr-x/ If Sagan vouches for it, how can Scott not try it? I mean come on
    If we all did things just because an awesome person did them, we would be in a very bad place.
  • edited April 2013
    There is a connection to be made between Steppenwolf and teh Rubins refusal to try drugs but I'm too busy playing FTL and listening to podcasts to make it.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • There is a connection to be make between Steppenwolf and teh Rubins refusal to try drugs but I'm too busy playing FTL and listening to podcasts to make it.
    I think it has something to do with magic carpet rides.
  • Dangit I said cause he vouches for it not just cause he did it.
  • Dangit I said cause he vouches for it not just cause he did it.
    s/did/says to/g
  • Live by the Sagan, Die by the Sagan
    Not a bad mantra.
    If we all did things just because an awesome person did them, we would be in a very bad place.
    Wait...what? Wouldn't that make us...awesome?

• s/did/says to/g
    not just cause he says to it?
  • Alive 2007 is currently my favorite Daft Punk album. I was going to complain that you forgot about it, but then I checked and Human After All came out in 2005. It has been a long time.
  • So there are people who like Alive 2007 more than their studio albums?
  • There are many people. It might be my favorite only slightly beat out by Discovery.
  • My favorites are Discovery and Alive.
  • So did you talk about whipped cream and what propellant gas they use to whip it and the microcosm of dealers whose websites list maybe two or three siphon bottles but will sell you the catridges in 6000pc bulk shipments?
    Not a bad mantra.
    Die at 62? No thanks.
    Not a bad mantra.
    Die at 62? No thanks.
    You'd still outlive 99% of humanity. Not a bad deal if you look at it that way.
  • "If you give Elmo money, you're part of the problem." I lol'ed at this.
  • So did you talk about whipped cream and what propellant gas they use to whip it and the microcosm of dealers whose websites list maybe two or three siphon bottles but will sell you the catridges in 6000pc bulk shipments?
    Whippets/whippits is the "drug term".

• Oh christ now I'm imagining some big bloke with a break-action shotgun over one arm, a cane and a flat cap, with a car full of gas cartridges, going "Ey up luv, y'want t' get high?"
  • I have smoke shisha tobacco, for the tasting of the flavours and blowing smoke rings. Otherwise I avoid all forms of drugs, for pretty much all the reasons Scott mentioned in the episode.

I've got pretty drunk on Absinthe, as far as I'm concerned, that's my worst drug related experience I've had.

Rather not experiment with chemicals on my body lol

However if there's science that proves that a chemical will improve my physical performance in some way with no ill effects, then I don't really have a reason not to take it.

This potion improves your memory, the side effects are, you remember everything. GREAT!

This pill makes you fast like a ninja, side effects are, you poop every 5 minutes. No touchy.
  • Anybody see that PSA rap? You can't say the word "drugs" without bringing me back to "Drugs are bad, they make you sad, sometimes glad, but mostly sad."

I am a caffeine user, and I have to be honest that I hate how much I depend on it. That's why I'd still be super wary of performance enhancing drugs that people purport have no ill effects. What happens when you no longer have access? If there is not chemical withdrawal, there will certainly be psychological withdrawal.
  • edited April 2013
    derp
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Sudafed is my jam. Its one of the few drugs that I can actually feel work and don't just think it might be a placebo effect. As for recreational drugs, I haven't done a lot. Alcohol occasionally, but not much else. I've smoked weed a few times but haven't had many good experiences. For some reason I either got pretty much no effect or got way too high, but not much in between. I may experiment with it in a vaporizer in the future, but that shit's too expensive/illegal for me right now. My old roommate had a prescription to adderall so I tried that a couple of times. Kratom is a favorite since its legal and sort of just makes you chill without that stoned fogginess of weed.

What really interests me is that smart drug nerd like was mentioned on the show. Not the guy who has opinions on what kind of weed, but the guys who know all these weird psychedelics that are only known by their chemical composition. If I was ever really into drugs, that's who I'd want to be, not some stoner eating cheetos or redneck in a meth lab. Being that knowledgeable about them and making different types feels more like brain hacking than just getting high.

I do get what Scott was saying though about waiting till you're old. I've sort of thought that if I was ever really old or going to die of some horrible disease I'd do a bunch of drugs because why not? Fuck if I'm going to do meth now but if I was going to die in a month then what do I have to lose?
  • I'm going to agree with the top commenter: This looks straight out of Tim & Eric.
  • Just listened to the episode today. Re: "What band has caused this since the Beatles?" Scott, are you familiar with Deadheads? I realize they weren't as excited about albums, but they were far more intense about their fandom than people are today about Daft Punk, and even the Beatlemaniacs found them kinda over the top.
  • Just listened to the episode today. Re: "What band has caused this since the Beatles?" Scott, are you familiar with Deadheads? I realize they weren't as excited about albums, but they were far more intense about their fandom than people are today about Daft Punk, and even the Beatlemaniacs found them kinda over the top.
    Yeah, I know what Deadheads are. That's not really the same phenomenon at all. It's not about the intensity of the fans. It's about the area of effect. Elvis, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Queen, and a few others in the past have had this earth shaking power. They are known around the world, and everyone listened to their music, even people who would not self identify as their fans. Who besides Daft Punk has this power today?
  • Yeah, I know what Deadheads are. That's not really the same phenomenon at all. It's not about the intensity of the fans. It's about the area of effect. Elvis, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Queen, and a few others in the past have had this earth shaking power. They are known around the world, and everyone listened to their music, even people who would not self identify as their fans. Who besides Daft Punk has this power today?
    Daft Punk doesn't have Beatlemania levels of power. They're the most powerful force in adult music today, but they don't hold a candle to the artists you mentioned (except maybe Queen, I don't know as much about them but they seem like the least AA+ of those names).

And then there's this quote:
    Perhaps the most prophetic comment I've heard over the past quarter century about rock music was made by Lester Bangs upon Elvis' death. In 1977, Lester Bangs said Elvis was probably the last thing we were all going to agree on – Public Enemy not counting.
    From here on in, you would have your heroes and I would have mine. The center of your world may be Iggy Pop, or Joni Mitchell, or maybe Dylan. Mine might be KISS, or Pearl Jam, but we would never see eye–to–eye again, and be brought together by one music again. And his final quote in the article was, "So, instead of saying goodbye to Elvis, I'm gonna say goodbye to you."
    Admittedly, this is mostly speculation on both of our behalves, and is distorted by our own personal internet feeds. When they announce their concert venues and/or when the album goes on sale we'll be able to actually test this.
  • edited April 2013
    As far as I'm concerned, there's one huge reason that Daft Punk are nowhere near the Beatles - when they come up in conversation, I still sometimes have to answer the question "Daft Punk? Who's that, are they any good?"
    Post edited by Churba on