This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Drugs

Comments

• edited April 2013
    I'm friends with a lot of cats whose lifestyles are caught up in weed. One in particular spends every day studying the science of pot, getting high, and blowing glass to support himself. He's a mad genius, an accomplished glass artist, and he loves everything about weed. I can't bring myself to disapprove.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • In general, I have a sour opinion of anyone whose lifestyle revolves around any mind altering substance, as opposed to occasional recreational use.
    Board games are a mind-altering substance.

Check and mate.

• Who said demonizing? Do whatever you want. I really don't care.

But personally, I have never really enjoyed the physical company of people who use enough marijuana or alcohol to regularly and reliably bring it up in most conversation.
  • In general, I have a sour opinion of anyone whose lifestyle revolves around any mind altering substance, as opposed to occasional recreational use.
    Board games are a mind-altering substance.

Check and mate.

Reality, if it exists, is inherently mind-altering (assuming a mind exists) if there are any possible stimuli or responses of any kind.

Unless causality is inviolate, in which case nothing is mind-altering because nothing can possibly be altered from its existing course and all things are predetermined.

Gonna go deeper than that?

• But personally, I have never really enjoyed the physical company of people who use enough marijuana or alcohol to regularly and reliably bring it up in most conversation.
    Yeah, those people piss me off. It's like shit, man, I do this stuff so I can have more interesting conversations than that. None of the potheads I spend time with talk about it much.
  • IMO Its actually really stupid + obnoxious in general when people conflate "What I Do" into "What I Am" in a desperate grab for immediately coherent self identity.
  • edited April 2013
    Gonna go deeper than that?
    Hodor

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Gonna go deeper than that?
    Hodor

I can go as deep as those motherfuckers that live near volcanic vents on the bottom of the ocean.

• I only drug I've only recently started to regularly use is caffeine, taken in the form of Cranberry drink mixes in 100 mg doses. I take it whenever I start to feel sleepy during the day and have to stay awake, and 1 is enough for me. If I take two or more, I will get "caffeine high" where I get super jittery and a pent up feeling inside of me that makes me want to scream, run around, and punch/kick something repeatedly. I guess that's because for most of my life, I have not consumed caffeine, so when I take it, I feel it hardcore.
  • edited April 2013
    Who said demonizing? Do whatever you want. I really don't care.

But personally, I have never really enjoyed the physical company of people who use enough marijuana or alcohol to regularly and reliably bring it up in most conversation.
    420 just #blaze u compleat fggt

Real Talk, though: An instance of substance use is inherently a very boring thing for anyone save the user, and I've found that people who talk about their use as anything more than footnotes to intriguing anecdotes are usually immensely boring people.

Example: A friend's boyfriend once talked to me for over an hour about weed, his "codewords," and his paraphernalia. It was agonizing, and it didn't even become an intelligent conversation about the War on Drugs; dude just basically told me about "blazing it" for 60 minutes. It was also readily apparent that he couldn't meaningfully engage me about any of my passions, be it science, beer, music, comics, movies, whatever.

Use substances as much or as little as you want, but BE INTERESTING. If you're not interesting beyond your substance use, go away until you grow up.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Those type of people end up being acquaintances, if anything, since they're not very relatable. Usually if I'm still in contact with them for some reason it tends to be through a mutual relationship. I'm courteous but usually little more.
  • Tom Green, too?

Add Adam Curry to the list. I was listening to TWiT, and I was just baffled by what this guy's logic behind the moon landing not being real.
    Don't know about Tom Green, but Adam Curry is at least 100% openly a complete nutcase. Very smart guy, but crazier than a shithouse rat.

Yeah, I was as surprised about what was coming out of his mouth as the guest hosts were that day. He was going against logic that I assumed he possessed. Crazy comes in lots of flavors.
  • edited April 2013
    I'm friends with a lot of cats whose lifestyles are caught up in weed. One in particular spends every day studying the science of pot, getting high, and blowing glass to support himself. He's a mad genius, an accomplished glass artist, and he loves everything about weed. I can't bring myself to disapprove.
    He's a real nice guy, but christ he posts a lot of nonsense to facebook.
    Yeah, I was as surprised about what was coming out of his mouth as the guest hosts were that day. He was going against logic that I assumed he possessed. Crazy comes in lots of flavors.
    I see you don't listen to No Agenda. He's on about shit like that a lot.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Actually, Churbs, he's one of the biggest assholes I've ever met. And yeah, the crazy really comes out on FB. He's been off my newsfeed for a long time. For all that, he's still my best friend.
  • Huh. Never came across as an asshole to me, but I've not really had a chance to chat to him for any extended length of time.
  • Lately he's been saying "fuck off, faggot" instead of "goodbye."
  • Charming.
  • Here's a fun drug: warfarin. Used to prevent blood clotting among those with clotting disorders, who have various heart implants (pacemakers and such), and in post-heart attack therapy. Interacts with so much crap you have to watch what other medications you take, what you eat, and need to get regular blood tests to make sure your dosage doesn't need adjusting to keep your blood within the safe range of "thinness." Also doubles as a rat poison, which actually was its original use.

Yeah, I'm on that crap. *sigh*
  • edited April 2013
    Here's a fun drug: warfarin. Used to prevent blood clotting among those with clotting disorders, who have various heart implants (pacemakers and such), and in post-heart attack therapy. Interacts with so much crap you have to watch what other medications you take, what you eat, and need to get regular blood tests to make sure your dosage doesn't need adjusting to keep your blood within the safe range of "thinness." Also doubles as a rat poison, which actually was its original use.

Yeah, I'm on that crap. *sigh*
    I learned something today. I thought they stopped using warfarin because they invented other blood thinners. My grandpa used to take them because he had a metal replacement heart valve.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I learned something today. I thought they stopped using warfarin because they invented other blood thinners.
    They have invented others, but those others have only been approved as safe for a certain subset of illnesses that require blood thinner treatment. In my case, unexplained blood clot in the lungs, warfarin is still the only approved treatment.

Despite being a pain in the ass, warfarin does have the advantage that it's been around for so long that doctors and pharmacists pretty much know every thing there is to know about managing it. It also has no real side effects -- all it does is thin your blood and that's it -- and an overdose, accidental or otherwise, can simply be treated by administering large amounts of vitamin K (warfarin basically works by blocking your body's ability to recycle vitamin K).

My doctors have told me that some of the other blood thinners will probably be approved for my specific case in the next few years, though.
  • My favorite drug has to be Lexapro. Good moods, high productivity, high motivation, infinite sex drive with stamina to match, music sounds better, cuddles feel better.

SSRIs are like MDMA Lite.
  • When you say it like that I feel like trying it. >_<
  • My favorite drug has to be Lexapro. Good moods, high productivity, high motivation, infinite sex drive with stamina to match, music sounds better, cuddles feel better.

SSRIs are like MDMA Lite.
    I was almost on Lexapro a while back, but I couldn't take it due to warfarin interactions. I was instead put on citalopram, which has many of the same effects, but interacts less with warfarin.
    That sounds like something I'd like. Whenever I have health insurance again, I should probably go see a psychologist.
  • Please note that I was up to like 6 hits in a 24-hour period.
    wait what

• edited April 2013
    During my first year of college a friend of mine said he had figured out pointers one night whilst taking mushrooms. For people who don't know learning pointers is a pretty significant hurdle for new programmers. I just through it was funny since it's a slightly odd thing to have a realization about on a hallucinogen.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I figured out pointers... by reference...
  • What you did there... I saw it.
  • Please note that I was up to like 6 hits in a 24-hour period.
    wait what
    Yeah, don't you get a disorder if you do shit that bad?
  • edited April 2013
    You definitely need to be careful about serotonin syndrome when doing shit that hard. I've heard accounts of permanently altering things like color perception but that seems to be from several days of heavy usage.

EDIT: Maybe I shouldn't have said "that hard" since honestly it's not that hard. But It's not a good idea to do drugs in succession. If you're go hard in the paint then go all in.
    Post edited by MATATAT on