This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Drugs

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Yeah, don't you get a disorder if you do shit that bad?
    Not exactly, no. Street acid these days typically comes in around 50ug, so 6 hits is roughly equivalent to one strong 300ug dose from the 60's. Most people taking those doses turned out ok, although some did not.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • I'm friends with a lot of cats whose lifestyles are caught up in weed. One in particular spends every day studying the science of pot, getting high, and blowing glass to support himself. He's a mad genius, an accomplished glass artist, and he loves everything about weed. I can't bring myself to disapprove.
    He's a real nice guy, but christ he posts a lot of nonsense to facebook.
    Yeah, I was as surprised about what was coming out of his mouth as the guest hosts were that day. He was going against logic that I assumed he possessed. Crazy comes in lots of flavors.
    I see you don't listen to No Agenda. He's on about shit like that a lot.
    That's Dvorak's show, right? I'm up to my neck in podcasts, so I didn't think to listen to that show, but if nutty conspiracy talk's going on, that may be a good excuse to never listen.

• Yeah, don't you get a disorder if you do shit that bad?
    Not exactly, no. Street acid these days typically comes in around 50ug, so 6 hits is roughly equivalent to one strong 300ug dose from the 60's. Most people taking those doses turned out ok, although some did not.
    Huh. I didn't know that the dosages had changed. Does this have anything to do with that raid in California in '00ish?
  • The dosage level has been going down for a while. I think it has to do with changing use cases (recreational rather than spiritual/meditation-oriented), but there was definitely a crackdown after it was made illegal (see: Timothy Leary and his associates).
  • edited April 2013
    Yeah, the big doses were mostly made when it was legal, or shortly after it became illegal. The average street dose has been drifting down ever since then. Like Yosho said, it's mostly a matter of changing uses (as well as maximizing profits). You can easily lose contact with physical reality on 300+ doses from what I've read, which is a poor fit for a concert or party. But of course, any batch, or even single dose within a batch, can be much stronger or weaker than expected because you are dealing with tiny amounts of the chemical and drug dealers aren't exactly known for their precision.

The KS (and CA?) busts led to LSD being exceptionally difficult to find in the early 2000's. If I recall correctly, most following the drug scene at the time suspected that the remaining supply was largely sourced from ~3-6 remaining smaller-time chemists in the NW USA, as well as the Israeli mafia getting into the game. Lots of people turned to gray market research chemicals as a result. These days, from what I've read, there are a number of research chemicals that can produce psychedelic effects at blotter dosages, so who knows what most people taking "acid" are taking most of the time.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • edited April 2013
    I have no experience with psychedelics, but DMT and mushrooms seem by far the most sane and sensible choices just due to the ease of positive identification.

As a scientist, I wouldn't trust any blotter or non-pharm pill before testing it; in the case of blotters, that typically would entail buying tons of the shit just to get enough raw test material. Also, per my friends who are tight with Molly, a pill test kit is as much as five doses of the drug, which means it's more economical and safe to Just Say No, in this instance.

EDIT: This strictly relates to street hallucinogens and entactogens, as I understand (via /r/drugs) that really the only way to be assured of purity these days is to hit up TSR.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • "Yeah, I know it's the real stuff. I bought it off a secret website."
  • You know the market is openly hostile when the best guarantee you can get is basically an eBay feedback score.
  • edited April 2013
    Everyone I know who's taken DMT has come out changed, and usually not for the better.

When I was living in Berkeley, I'd get my LSD straight from the chemist. I don't really trust buying the stuff second-hand.

EDIT: As far as secret websites are concerned, I trust it slightly more than a random street dealer, but wouldn't get any drugs besides pot from it (since I can generally see if pot is good before ingesting it).
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Yeah I've heard DMT is some crazy shit.

As far as secret websites are concerned, I'd be mostly afraid of getting caught having it mailed to me. I mean I know they're professionals and they have good methods but for some reason it just seems more sheisty than knowing the right guy.
  • Yeah, I was as surprised about what was coming out of his mouth as the guest hosts were that day. He was going against logic that I assumed he possessed. Crazy comes in lots of flavors.
    I see you don't listen to No Agenda. He's on about shit like that a lot.
    That's Dvorak's show, right? I'm up to my neck in podcasts, so I didn't think to listen to that show, but if nutty conspiracy talk's going on, that may be a good excuse to never listen. That's the one. Dvorak isn't so bad, and the show itself is excellently produced and releases on time, but the content does leave a bit to be desired.

• afraid of getting caught having it mailed to me.
    Even crazier, what if you have it mailed to someone else? "Hey guys, every congressman ordered some weed online!" "Welp, better lock them all up."
  • edited April 2013
    If someone were determined to try psychedelics, doing ~2g dried of normal strength mushrooms is what I'd recommend. I've heard a remarkably large number of anecdotal accounts of psychotic breaks from smoked DMT, arguably because it's just such a psychological shock to the system. Ingested DMT (ayahuasca), meanwhile, is pretty much guaranteed to make you vomit mid-trip, and the MAOI generally used to make it work has all kinds of dangerous interactions with prescription drugs.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2013
    Correct me if I'm wrong, Churbs, but weren't you once called a douchebag by John C. Dvorak?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • That's nothing. WIRED magazine once accused me of egging someone on to commit suicide, who subsequently did commit suicide.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, Churbs, but weren't you once called a douchebag by John C. Dvorak?
    Yep, I was douchebag of the week. Must have been a real slow douchebag week.
  • Tequila is the only reason I'm surviving as a new dad.
  • Tequila is the only reason I'm...a new dad.
    heh

• edited April 2013
    I'd be all about the modafinil (trade name Abilify) and adrafinil if I was a new parent.
  • Modafinil kind of scares me. It sounds like the best thing ever, but there has to be some kind of tradeoff for staying awake like that.
  • Modafinil kind of scares me. It sounds like the best thing ever, but there has to be some kind of tradeoff for staying awake like that.
    Provided you don't do it for too long, you should be okay. It's usually used to normalize sleep cycles for people with things like free-running sleep, or for people who skip through a lot of time-zones.

Provided you don't do it for too long, you should be okay. It's usually used to normalize sleep cycles for people with things like free-running sleep, or for people who skip through a lot of time-zones.
    Sounds like your sorta thing to the T.
    Sounds like your sorta thing to the T.
    I've been thinking about using it, actually, to try and treat - Drumroll please - my Free-running sleep disorder. Both myself and a lot of other flight attendants I knew used to take it to deal with Jet-lag, too. So, ten out of ten for that guess.
  • edited April 2013
    Hanging out with a bunch of friends later; several of them are going to drop some Molly. That means I get to have some really great conversation for an hour, and then invariably this sort of thing starts happening:

On the bright side, it means I can hang out in the corner and do my homework while DJ'ing trap music in Spotify, and everyone will think I'm Jesus Christ himself. Defs not hitting the bars with them, though.
  • Fuck yeah, Dimetapp. When I was young, I would take that for so much.
  • I'm not quite sure if I have free running sleep or if I just spend too much time on the internet.
  • edited April 2013
    I ended up trip sitting for a couple friends who were rolling a bit too hard last night. It was actually a lot of fun! I really love dancing in clubs, and when you're with people who are on MDMA, you can dance as hard as humanly possible and your group will be eager to match your energy. We danced until my jeans were soaked with sweat, and everyone got home safely. Then, I finished my homework, slept, and woke up for an exam that I then aced. Not bad at all.

Still not at all interested in doing Molly, but I will say that being surrounded by a group of good friends who are on it is fun; the hugs and emotional conversations are uninhibited, but they feel real, as opposed to the "I love you, I love fabrics, I love chairs, I love drugs" sort of talk that I'm used to from people on the roll. It was also really fun to help my friends stay safe. People on Molly are kind of like little kids, in that they are filled with wonderment and need to occasionally be reminded that the universe doesn't revolve around them. Like kids, they also say the darndest things: last night, a good friend told me that the points of laser light on him in the club "felt like newsprint," which is maybe the best description of anything ever.

tl;dr: Say "Perhaps when I'm old as fuck" to MDMA, and say "Yes, always" to trip sitting.
  • edited April 2013
    That is somewhat opposite of what I felt like. I kinda thought it made everyone really fake and annoying. It was somewhat amusing at first, but then...
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I do no drugs, but if you could make copies (or simulations) of me and then expose them to all the drugs I'd kinda want to see how I would behave.
  • edited April 2013
    That is somewhat opposite of what I felt like. I kinda thought it made everyone really fake and annoying. It was somewhat amusing at first, but then...
    I need to stress that it was only fun because of the people I was with. The other times I've been around people on MDMA, they've been either acquaintances (various party situations) or strangers (music festivals). In both situations, the touching and insistent Molly chatter about love/feeling invincible/hearing colors became immediately unbearable.

In this case, I got to see a bunch of people I really care about be impossibly happy for a bit, which is always nice. The entactogenic qualities of MDMA dramatically increase empathy as well, which lead to some really good conversation and some intensely honest moments; however, most of them were racing too fast to hold onto a thread of conversation for too long. It's probably a good thing that we went to the club for a couple hours, because after intellectual conversation topics were exhausted, they just started asking questions and babbling.

I will also note that by an hour into the comedown, they seemed fake and weird. That said, as someone born with a completely fucked serotonergic system, I understand that sometimes the chemicals are doing the talking. By that time, I was mostly doing homework and ignoring them, but their demeanor reminded me very strongly of how I acted when my depression was at its peak. It freaked me out.

MDMA is weird. I don't think I really have any use for its effects. My antidepressant keeps me motivated enough that my greatest joy comes from creating things, accomplishing my goals, and learning. I guess I understand the urge to take a pill that makes you feel the "I DID IT!" feels; however, it seems to me to be much more productive and interesting to take the 100% legal "You can do it!" pharmaceutical each day and then earn those feelings by doing really cool shit. The music, tactile, and sexual enhancement brought on by Lexapro is just serotonergic icing on the cake, and I get enough of those things to be indifferent to the prospect of making them "better" with Molly.

Today, I designed three bookcases in two hours. That's my ecstasy.