This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Drugs

Comments

• I just read through this thread. It feels like I live in a different world.
  • I just read through this thread. It feels like I live in a different world.
    How so?
  • edited April 2013
    I just read through this thread. It feels like I live in a different world.
    I've suspected that for some time.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Man, listening to this show brought back the memory of the time I fought my way through bronchial pneumonia by just swigging down cough syrup from the bottle, and switching to menthol cigarettes for a bit, and just constantly napping and pottering around in the warm house, barring when I had to slip out for groceries, smokes, or to produce the radio show.
  • So, I met Lucy today.

It is not nearly as intense or dangerous as people make it out to be. Low doses of LSD make for a perfectly managelable and extremely enlightening high. If you feel inclined to try it don't be afraid, just be careful with your dose.
  • He's a moon landing denier, and perpetuates of all sorts of other woo-woo. Put him in the same group as Tom Green and other conspiracy theorist nutjobs who somehow have a public voice.
    Now Rogan's an ex moon landing denier. Neil Degrasse Tyson came on Rogan's podcast and used the mightiest weapons in his arsenal: facts and logic. I'm glad he was open to hearing reason.

• He's a moon landing denier, and perpetuates of all sorts of other woo-woo. Put him in the same group as Tom Green and other conspiracy theorist nutjobs who somehow have a public voice.
    Now Rogan's an ex moon landing denier. Neil Degrasse Tyson came on Rogan's podcast and used the mightiest weapons in his arsenal: facts and logic. I'm glad he was open to hearing reason.
    Really? Because Phil Plait tried the same thing on Penn Jillette's radio show like five or six years ago and it didn't work.
  • edited May 2013
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Really? Because Phil Plait tried the same thing on Penn Jillette's radio show like five or six years ago and it didn't work.
    Is Jillette a moon landing denier, or was Rogan on there with this Plait guy?

• Really? Because Phil Plait tried the same thing on Penn Jillette's radio show like five or six years ago and it didn't work.
    Jillette isn't a moon landing denier, and he kept trying to argue with Joe Rogan about it, but as he put it, he's just a dumb, loud, opinionated guy. So, he got in an actual expert - Phil Plait - to talk to Joe Rogan about it. Every point Rogan bought up was taken apart, he seemed genuinely thoughtful about the moon landings being a real possibility, and then within a month or so, his story about the whole thing was that he "Stomped" Plait with "facts and logic", and all this special pleading and dodgey work-around shit to indicate why it's actually him that won, rather than Plait, and why this just proves the moon landing was a hoax.
  • Perfect book for anyone who thinks the moon landing is fake.

How to Fake a Moon Landing: Exposing the Myths of Science Denial
  • If the moon landing was fake, then why did Buzz Aldrin punch that guy?

Checkmate, truthers.
    Nah, Penn is up on the science; he was moderating the debate between Phil Plait (an astronomy blogger and author) and Rogan. They did two shows on it, actually. If you'd like to listen, here they are.

First one:
    http://ia700209.us.archive.org/13/items/Penn_Radio_archive/The.Penn.Jillette.Radio.Show.2007.02.05.mp3
    Second one:
    http://ia700209.us.archive.org/13/items/Penn_Radio_archive/The.Penn.Jillette.Radio.Show.2007.02.23.mp3

Checkmate, truthers.
    Buzz Aldrin demonstrated the best way to handle moon landing deniers.

Checkmate, truthers.

That guy was a douche. Even if the moon landing was 100% fake, the guy needed a belt to the jaw.
  • See-pah-col.
  • I guess we should start lobbying for Congress to ban sugar now.
  • Over the counter Sudafed doesn't do jack shit. As I've been telling everyone for years.

http://science.slashdot.org/story/15/10/27/037234/the-popular-over-the-counter-cold-medicine-that-science-says-doesnt-work

Phenylephrine is fake medicine.
  • Rym said:

Over the counter Sudafed doesn't do jack shit. As I've been telling everyone for years.

http://science.slashdot.org/story/15/10/27/037234/the-popular-over-the-counter-cold-medicine-that-science-says-doesnt-work

We have legit started to stockpile sudafed. We buy a big box once a month so now we have plenty if we suddenly have a terrible cold or allergies.
  • Rym said:

Over the counter Sudafed doesn't do jack shit. As I've been telling everyone for years.

We have legit started to stockpile sudafed. We buy a big box once a month so now we have plenty if we suddenly have a terrible cold or allergies.
    That's not really the best idea. How often do you have such a severe illness that you need sudafed? For me, once a year at most. They let you buy it once a year from behind the counter, no problem.

That shit is expensive, and it expires. If you are so ill that you actually need it that often, you have a chronic illness that you should solve rather than just living on sudafed all the time.

Also, your stockpiling is definitely going to get you suspected of running a meth lab, or selling to people who do.

Maybe you are? In which case, good deal.
  • I stockpile because if you actually get sick, the last thing you want to do is have to go out to a pharmacy and get it. Easily half the time, the ID machine won't work and they won't sell it to you. I often have to go to two (or once three) different drug stores to get it.
  • Rym said:

I stockpile because if you actually get sick, the last thing you want to do is have to go out to a pharmacy and get it. Easily half the time, the ID machine won't work and they won't sell it to you. I often have to go to two (or once three) different drug stores to get it.

You don't need a stockpile. You just need one unexpired package.
  • edited October 2015
    Scott, I'm very happy that you personally don't suffer bad allergies. They really suck.

EDIT: Also, stockpile is an exaggeration, we have like 3 boxes. Yes they do expire, but not for years.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Rym said:

They even lowered the concentration of pseudoephedrine in the behind the counter drugs in 2004 - 2005.
    Phenylepherine is a real drug, however not good as a decongestant, works fine as a mild sedative on humans already taking another mild sedative. You get the double combo of feeling woozy and congested.
    Apreche said:

Rym said:

I stockpile because if you actually get sick, the last thing you want to do is have to go out to a pharmacy and get it. Easily half the time, the ID machine won't work and they won't sell it to you. I often have to go to two (or once three) different drug stores to get it.

You don't need a stockpile. You just need one unexpired package.
    You don't even need the unexpired package, I keep a small stockpile of S4 drugs in my fridge and freezer.
    Expiry dates are as bullshit in pharmaceutical as with groceries (as long as you know how to store them).

Non capsule tablets should last years refrigerated.
  • Scott, I'm very happy that you personally don't suffer bad allergies. They really suck.

EDIT: Also, stockpile is an exaggeration, we have like 3 boxes. Yes they do expire, but not for years.

The only thing Scott suffers from is bonitis.

• Scott, I'm very happy that you personally don't suffer bad allergies. They really suck.

If you have allergies shouldn't you be taking Claritin or whatev? Sudafed seems like a bad choice.
  • sK0pe said:

You don't even need the unexpired package, I keep a small stockpile of S4 drugs in my fridge and freezer.
    Expiry dates are as bullshit in pharmaceutical as with groceries (as long as you know how to store them).

Yeah I was gonna say this. They're just on there basically because they are required to put some date for when they can't guarantee that the product will be at 100% potency. Doesn't really speak anything to the actual lasting power of the drug itself.
  • Apreche said:

Scott, I'm very happy that you personally don't suffer bad allergies. They really suck.

If you have allergies shouldn't you be taking Claritin or whatev? Sudafed seems like a bad choice.
    Who said I wasn't taking Claritin...
  • Apreche said:

Who said I wasn't taking Claritin...
    If it worked, you wouldn't have to take Sudafed.