This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Drugs

123457»

Comments

• Apreche said:

Apreche said:

Scott, I'm very happy that you personally don't suffer bad allergies. They really suck.

EDIT: Also, stockpile is an exaggeration, we have like 3 boxes. Yes they do expire, but not for years.

If you have allergies shouldn't you be taking Claritin or whatev? Sudafed seems like a bad choice.
    Who said I wasn't taking Claritin...
    If it worked, you wouldn't have to take Sudafed.
    Antihistamines aren't terribly effective. The few that are have severe side effects.

They help, but not that much. They're like a bullet proof vest. Sure, you probably won't DIE if you're shot, but you're still breaking ribs.

• Also, anyone who's misjudged the start of allergy season can attest to the fact that they take some time to be effective.

A very long time.

So much itching....
  • What about allergy shots? Aren't they a thing?
  • Apreche said:

What about allergy shots? Aren't they a thing?

For seasonal allergies? Not really, at least as far as I know. It's also not so much a "shot" as it is "repeated exposure to a thing you're allergic to to try to desensitize your immune system". Takes a very long time, has to be maintained, and one of the side effects is "More allergy symptoms".
  • Flonase works amazingly well for me. I also keep a backup of generic Sudafed handy as well. Since the the weather has finally shifted here in Texas. I'm enjoying a reprieve from my sinus headaches
  • My dad gets around his seasonal allergies by taking shots once a week for a few weeks a year when seasons change or his reactions get bad. Shots are a viable option, but you need to administer them yourself and you end up having a lot of needles, which is definitely not a plus for me, what needle phobia and all.
  • Apreche said:

What about allergy shots? Aren't they a thing?

They also help, but don't cure, allergies.

I got shots for many many years. All they did was reduce my sensitivity to my worst allergens.
  • Alaric728 said:

Shots are a viable option, but you need to administer them yourself

What? I had to go to a clinic to get all my shots. Once it hit maintenance level, I'd just go get them once a month. There was no self-administer option.

• Radiolab did a piece about a guy who used tapeworms to get rid of his allergies. It was interesting to the say the least. But I would never do that crazy shit.
  • That was hookworms, not tapeworms.
  • Ah my mistake
  • edited October 2015
    Rym said:

What? I had to go to a clinic to get all my shots. Once it hit maintenance level, I'd just go get them once a month. There was no self-administer option.

Huh, he just had a big bottle of allergy meds and needles. Though he is a practicing physician so he had the option to self-administer (I hope)
    It's funny that i always thought that was normal. I wonder what other stuff that happened often at my house people with non-doctor parents would find weird...
    Post edited by Alaric728 on
  • Like I said Scott, I'm very happy you don't have to deal with this shit. It fucking sucks.
  • Like I said Scott, I'm very happy you don't have to deal with this shit. It fucking sucks.

Get a robot body.

• I wish I could take Claritin, but it gave me vertigo that one time and I'm not retreading that territory.

Which is too bad, because it was super effective for me. I take Zyrtec now, and it helps, but not as much as Claritin.
  • Flonase is over the counter now you might give that try. It work wonders for me this past summer
  • Flonase is over the counter now you might give that try. It work wonders for me this past summer

Really? Is it the same stuff as the prescription version? Is it lower concentration or something?
  • Apreche said:

Flonase is over the counter now you might give that try. It work wonders for me this past summer

Really? Is it the same stuff as the prescription version? Is it lower concentration or something?
    Also, how does it compare to that ultra-rare cocoa bean nasal spray Rym loves?
  • Same concentration. Never touched nor can I ever remember the name of the stuff Rym uses, but it smells like butt and works wonders, so I dunno.
  • edited October 2015
    It's the exact same prescription. I spoke with the pharmacist about it. It's also got the same smell and aftertaste as Primatene Mist.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • I used Nasalcrom.
  • I learned last night you can get fair-trade, organic cocaine sourced from Guatamalan farmers on the deep web, among other cheap quality drugs. So there's that.
  • If you're in the UK especially, that's probably not a bad idea other than it's Cocaine, and illegal. I read a vice article that said that the majority of Cocaine in the UK has barely any actual Cocaine in it because its been stepped on so much, and a lot of people were probably just reporting placebo effects and the whole cultural thing of doing lines of it in a bathroom with your drinking buddies probably exacerbated that. Granted, if you're used to weak stuff theres a good chance you'll just overdose as that's been known to happen when dealers try to be "good drug dealers" and give their customers more pure stuff. Still better off not doing it at all, but better than doing some of that shit that's been cut with Levamisole which makes your flesh fall off (nothing nearly as bad as krokodil, but still messed up).
  • edited October 2015

If you're in the UK especially, that's probably not a bad idea other than it's Cocaine, and illegal. I read a vice article that said that the majority of Cocaine in the UK has barely any actual Cocaine in it because its been stepped on so much, and a lot of people were probably just reporting placebo effects and the whole cultural thing of doing lines of it in a bathroom with your drinking buddies probably exacerbated that. Granted, if you're used to weak stuff theres a good chance you'll just overdose as that's been known to happen when dealers try to be "good drug dealers" and give their customers more pure stuff. Still better off not doing it at all, but better than doing some of that shit that's been cut with Levamisole which makes your flesh fall off (nothing nearly as bad as krokodil, but still messed up).

The TED talk I found out that tidbit from did make it sound like, if you were going to start a drug habit (and I am told by my nonexistent lawyers to advise that is generally a terrible idea), that the Dark Web is the best place to go. You can get anything your heart desires delivered (of course to some address other than your house), they're generally cheaper than street dealers, and the goods are going to be of a higher quality. Jaime Bartlett even talked about how he emailed a weed dealer posing as a potential buyer and they gave him some advice on getting started smoking. The only downside is you have to use Bitcoin for transactions.

Edit: Because I can't not post the link now https://www.ted.com/talks/jamie_bartlett_how_the_mysterious_dark_net_is_going_mainstream?language=en
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • I use flonase because free, but I prefer nasacort. Flonase gives me a mad headache after regular use. I'm overjoyed to not lose days to a zombie-like state of allergies.
  • I've not heard of nasacort. Gonna look into that.
  • edited November 2015
    whoops wrong thread
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • Honestly, Sudafed is probably the only allergy medication I've taken that had any noticable effects that weren't potentially just placebo. I never remember Benadryl working for me and I took claratin for years and still had pretty bad allergies at times but Sudafed definitely helped. Damn tweakers had to fuck that up and make it harder to get.
  • Sudafed isn't really allergy medicine. It's a general purpose decongestant, and one of the most effective in the world.

Benadryl is a completely different kind of drug with completely different effects. You can take them both at the same time even.

Sudafed with real pseudoephedrine just unplugs your nose. It has no effect on any other allergy symptoms. Benadryl is an early anti-histamine that is fast-acting, but not as generally effective as more modern ones and with more side effects.