This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Hugs

edited April 2013 in Anime
What are your all feelings about hugs from people you just met? What are you feelings about hugs in general? Personally I've never been a huger not even when I'm pleasantly drunk or really sad about something. Hugs kind of make my skin crawl. But I can do them if that person themselves are feeling really down or just have that hugging personality. I'm more down with a good hearty hand shake or fist bump I can even stand a pat on the back but not hugs for me thanks.

Comments

• Out of curiosity, (if you grew up in America) did you live in the North or South? I found that Southerners are very huggy, while my family is very reserved (Japanese). The whole hug-as-greeting thing was extremely uncomfortable. Also, since I'm short, hugs tend to involve face-armpit interactions.
  • I am not comfortable hugging people that I do not know. I rather give a firm handshake instead. However, when it comes to family or people that I truly love I can just randomly give hugs. You can say that I lover my defenses around the people that I love.
    With not so close friends I give a half hug.
  • My dad's side (Italian) is very huggy and cheek-kissy, whereas my mom's (American, New England) is more reserved. I generally go for a handshake when I meet and/or greet people, but I don't feel squicked out if someone goes for the cheek-kiss.
  • edited April 2013
    I don't hug until hugged first, that way I can please both crowds. It also has a lot to do with being a tall guy who has no sense of smell; I'm always extremely careful about my personal hygiene, but I'd have no idea if I possessed some gnarly BO.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • I'm not a huggler. Unless I'm super familiar with a person, it just seems odd. I hug my mom and my niece.
  • edited April 2013
    This is definitely a cultural/regional thing. I hug all my friends that I don't see on a daily basis when I am saying hello/goodbye. If I meet someone new and I'm hugging everyone else then I'll usually hug them too.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • At RIT, we as a group replaced handshakes with hugs early on and kept it going.
  • edited April 2013
    Pretty much what Sail said.

Also:

Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Randomness is a sign of poor design, strategic hugs based on pure skill and reasoning, however, are always welcome.
  • It depends on my friends. Certain friends we hug. Others it would be weird. It correlates fairly closely with friends I like and care about vs. more casual acquaintance-type friends.
  • edited April 2013
    Randomness is a sign of poor design, strategic hugs based on pure skill and reasoning, however, are always welcome.
    No, randomness is a useful design element, and also quite often an essential part of optimal hugging strategy. For example, your hugs are more effective no one else knows when to expect them.

Also,
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited April 2013
    I grew up in Texas but it was in El Paso which I feel isn't exactly indicative of Texas because it's a 'border town' so it's culture influences are a mix bag. Regardless I've never was a huggy kid. I never ran away screaming one somebody hugged me but I never enjoyed them either. I have hard time hugging my own mom sometimes but I try my best to be a good son and hug her when i feel she is really wanting one.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • I am not good with physical contact until I have one, maybe two shots in me. I have trouble with handshakes sometimes. So, not much for hugs.
  • I am well huggy, but nobody else around me is, at least since I stopped going to theatre stuff so much.
  • edited April 2013
    I just got back from a music festival so I got an abnormally large amount of hugs, but I feel like hugs are personal enough that you get some sort of connection with someone you wouldn't normally have gotten, a certain level of comfort, and especially with strangers, it can be a really good experience.

There were times this weekend that I had 20-30 second hugs with people from all walks of life, and most of them ended with mutual smiling and a good time had by all, and it was always more comfortable afterwards than just a handshake might have been.

Also, I'm seen like a big teddy bear sometimes so people who like to hug are attracted to my huggable demeanor.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • I hug my family whenever I see them, no matter how extended they are, but other than that, you have to be really close to me for a certain amount of time and one person has to be leaving for sometime for me to consider giving a hug.

I guess I think this way because a hug to me is the equivalent of saying "You've had made some impact on my life and your name will not be forgotten easily by me".
  • edited April 2013
    This is definitely a cultural/regional thing. I hug all my friends that I don't see on a daily basis when I am saying hello/goodbye. If I meet someone new and I'm hugging everyone else then I'll usually hug them too.
    My dad's side (Italian) is very huggy and cheek-kissy, whereas my mom's (American, New England) is more reserved. I generally go for a handshake when I meet and/or greet people, but I don't feel squicked out if someone goes for the cheek-kiss.
    Basically my experiences and opinions, except my dad's side is Hispanic.
    There were times this weekend that I had 20-30 second hugs with people from all walks of life, and most of them ended with mutual smiling and a good time had by all, and it was always more comfortable afterwards than just a handshake might have been.
    #FestivalMollyHugs

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Here in CR it's kind of like a bro-hug with the men and a kiss on the cheek and a small hug with the ladies most of the time, just a handshake if it's a professional shindig or if it's not someone you intend to make friends with. But that is the Latino way.
  • You can't hug with nuclear arms.

My arms are nuclear.
  • You can't hug with nuclear arms.

My arms are nuclear.
    I have Graphite moderator arms. Let's hug it out.
  • If a stranger came up and hugged me without warning I'd probably hit them without thinking about it. Most other hugs are super cool.
  • edited April 2013
    My family was very "touch-centric" so I've always been comfortable getting hugs from people I know. Strangers hugging me can be a little awkward but so long as they don't sneak up on me I don't mind.

Life experience has taught me that big and hairy men like me don't get as much leeway in the physical touch department as some other folks. Because of that, I am very careful not to initiate physical contact with others unless it's A: socially acceptable (ie: handshakes) or B: Invited (folks with "free hugs" signs at conventions can expect terrifying bear hugs.)
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • Those of you who treat hugs as if they were punches: I feel sorry for you.

I mean, sure, there's a such a thing as a creepy hug, but over-representing that category because of insecurity or drama or trauma is sad.
  • If a stranger came up and hugged me without warning I'd probably hit them without thinking about it. Most other hugs are super cool.
    That seems kind of extreme. If that happened to me, I would check my wallet, and if it was still there, raise an eyebrow and shrug it off.

Also depends on whether I'm in a foreign country.
  • RymRym
    edited April 2013
    If a stranger tries to hug me without introduction or warning and not as a replacement for a handshake, I'd probably consider it assault in most cases.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I don't really consider myself a huggy person, but I do have certain people that I'm fine with hugging.
  • I once threw my mother over my shoulder when she hugged me from behind suddenly.

I felt really really bad about it. Like really bad. It was just a reaction.
  • You got issues, son.
  • I do, but not related to that.