This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Global Richlist

edited April 2013 in Anime
http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Welp, my family is apparently in the top 1.5% of richest people in the world. And my part time wage makes me individually part of the top 32%. Guess I should be happy huh...:P

There's also a whole bunch of great tidbits and animations on income inequality globally. Puts the whole first world notion into perspective a little.
Post edited by lifecircle on

Comments

• That site is an inaccurate attempt at a guilt trip.
  • Its for the Americans who complain too much :P
  • Because cost of living doesn't vary from locale to locale.
  • "I'm fairly sure Saudis pay $4.25 a gallon for gas just like me!", he said sarcastically.
  • I am in the in the top
    0.06%
    richest people in the world by income.

I am the
    3,792,488th
    richest person on earth by income.

The tax increases to which the Republicans in the US are so opposed affected people so much richer than me that that it is unlikely I would ever even come close to being affected by them...
  • While we're at it with tests:

You'd better all get a perfect score on this one:
    http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

Wow. Only 7% aced that? I am very sad now.

• Wow. Only 7% aced that? I am very sad now.
    To be fair, I wasn't sure what some of these English names were for elements. I learned Dutch names in school. (Also, I don't know what fracking is outside of a Battlestar Galactica setting).
  • I got 100% yay! I am teh smarts!

The results break down by question were disheartening...except one question was much more disheartening than the rest. How can people get that one wrong so much?
  • Admittedly, the fracking question requires you to pay some attention to current news. Most of the other questions you have little excuse.
  • I'm amused that the lowest scoring question is the one about which gas is most present in the atmosphere. Did they stop teaching that in school or something I mean by far that's the question most people got wrong.
  • edited April 2013
    I am in the in the top
    0.06%
    richest people in the world by income.

I am the
    3,792,488th
    richest person on earth by income.
    In other news, Rym makes $136k. Impressive, sir.

I just cracked the 0.07% mark. At one point, hit a few extra 0s by accident and it still said I was only like the 67th richest person. I'm not even going to bother with the wealth tab though. Even among my friends, I know plenty of people w/ much shittier jobs than me but higher overall wealth from some combination of living w/ mom and dad as a single person for years, having mommy and daddy put up most of the money for your house, or grandma keeling over and leaving you 5 figures.

The fracking question did strike me as out of place, given the rest of the questions. As for hydrogen/nitrogen, I think that was the only question with two very similar-sounding responses. If you're getting any answers wrong, you obviously don't think a lot about science and are probably trying to dig up ancient info from science class, so nitro/hydro becomes an easy trap.
    Post edited by Matt on
    Could be worse. I managed to go 13 for 13, but still spent a good ten seconds wondering how they were going to score my answer for "Are you male or female?"
  • I wonder if we could use that test for forum registration. Ban every user. Have to take the test and get 100% to be un-banned. All new registrants must pass. I guess people could cheat with Google, but if you are smart enough to do that, you can come in.
  • edited April 2013
    That site has some weird math. If you make $20000 a year in a full time job you would be earning $10 an hour but the site says $10+ some change.

Even at $10K a year you are in the top 15% or so because it is looking at global earnings. Which is bullshit because as Sally Struthers has been telling us for years in some parts of the world the price of a cup of coffee in the USA can feed a poor family of four in Nomoneypoorisstan.

As for the science survey... Yeah... 7%... :(
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Got all 13, but it's really sad to see how few people actually got the "Most abundant element in the atmosphere" question right.
  • Exactly the price of a cup of coffee in the US can buy you a sack of potatoes, enough to feed a family a week or so.

Yay! I got 13 of 13! I paid attention through middle school!
  • I wonder if we could use that test for forum registration. Ban every user. Have to take the test and get 100% to be un-banned. All new registrants must pass. I guess people could cheat with Google, but if you are smart enough to do that, you can come in.
    I'll say allow one wrong, just to adjust for factors like "learned the elements in a foreign language and don't know their English names" or "not fully awake at the time, so I misread something."
    Even better - then the test is encouraging people to get smarter. Not only does it reinforce our ivory tower - it changes the world in the process.

We are godly men (and women).
  • I'll be honest, the only one I didn't know was the atmosphere one. I'd like to say it was a slip of the hand, but pretty sure I just straight up didn't know the answer.

I'll just recover self-esteem by seeing that 52% of respondents apparently think lasers are focused sound waves and that electrons are bigger than atoms.
    I'll say allow one wrong, just to adjust for factors like "learned the elements in a foreign language and don't know their English names" or "not fully awake at the time, so I misread something."
    We can have a grace period and allow re-dos. Someone smart enough to try again with a different e-mail address will get in eventually through trial and error. If you can manage that, then you are also smart enough to get in.
  • 13 of 13. Hurray functional memory.
  • I'll be honest, the only one I didn't know was the atmosphere one. I'd like to say it was a slip of the hand, but pretty sure I just straight up didn't know the answer.

I'll just recover self-esteem by seeing that 52% of respondents apparently think lasers are focused sound waves and that electrons are bigger than atoms.
    Yea I noticed that there was a large amount of over 65 people who said that. I assume they just read the question wrong.

I assume you picked Hydrogen instead of Nitrogen, because people always learn that Hydrogen is the most common atom and then assume it would be the most common in our atmosphere.
  • We can have a grace period and allow re-dos. Someone smart enough to try again with a different e-mail address will get in eventually through trial and error. If you can manage that, then you are also smart enough to get in.
    A grace period and re-dos would be acceptable. I admit that I was slightly paranoid I wouldn't get 100% when I took that test because, as often happens when I take silly web tests like that, I have a slip up, get something wrong, and when looking at the results I'm like, "You idiot! How did you get that wrong when you knew the answer?!" Fortunately, I did get 13/13 this time though.
  • I figure most people picked Oxygen because they know that's the breathey thing. The only reason I didn't is because I knew there was a special SCUBA cert you need to use O2 instead of simple compressed air.
  • I knew because the basic contents of our atmosphere is basic elementary school Earth science.

It can also trivially be guessed in that question. Oxygen and Hydrogen obviously couldn't be correct.
  • Hyrdrogen obviously not, but oxygen may not be as obvious.
  • I knew because the basic contents of our atmosphere is basic elementary school Earth science.

It can also trivially be guessed in that question. Oxygen and Hydrogen obviously couldn't be correct.
    Yes, if you know basic chemistry you know that if the atmosphere was mostly Hydrogen or Oxygen we would all be on fire.