This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

SMGO: How to uncancel TV shows.

edited May 2013 in Movies
Has anyone heard of a website called SMGO? A friend recommended to this me yesterday, and I think it's pretty damn cool.

It's a crowdfunding website for cancelled TV shows and a method of kissing those useless online petitions goodbye. After a show is suggested to them, they will put up a page where fans who really want it back can vote on it. Once a specific number of votes has been reached (it needs at least 100% by a specific period of time), it will then advance to the funding stage, where a series will have 3 months to be fully funded in order to get another season produced.

Yes, SMGO DOES talk to the networks before each request, so each show fully has the networks' approval!

It recently opened and is only in beta at the moment, so there's not a large selection. Here are the six shows currently up for grabs:

-Tron: Uprising Season 2 (needs 2500 votes)
-The River Season 2 (fully voted, needs funding)
-Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23 Season 3 (needs 5000 votes)
-Motorcity Season 2 (fully voted, needs funding)
-Smash Season 3 (needs 5000 votes)
-90210 Season 6 (needs 5000 votes)

If you want to add more suggestions, here's the form.

Comments

• I'm not sure if I want this to exist.
    Well... It does.
    It seems like a good idea, but it's only good for the rare times when an actually good show gets canceled. I'm sure Firefly is the first thing to pop in everyone's head, but for every Firefly there are dozens of crap shows.

I almost wish they had just canceled Community so it could be crowdfunded and we'd still have Dan Harmon in charge.
  • With crowdfunding for media and software, my feeling is that it makes a lot more sense if the content is released under an open license (e.g. Creative Commons Attribution). It seems to me that an open license makes the whole project much more worthwhile.

Of course, people can contribute to whatever they want to, and if you can't get enough funding from crowdsourcing alone a restricted release is better than no release at all.
  • I have to be honest that I have a feeling this site isn't going to work. It needs to raise a lot of money to have even one success, but it's starting from zero in terms of online buzz and attention. Only a few shows with rabid internet bases like AT or MLP would be able to overcome that hurdle. If networks just ran kickstarter campaigns for the same shows, I think it would be a lot more likely to succeed.

Are there any shows here that people actually want votes for? I just registered, so why not.
  • Sounds interesting, but I wont be impressed until they actually bring back a show.
  • I have never heard of any of those shows except for two of them. None of them need to come back... ;^)
  • Just like Firefly.
  • I still want a show in the firefly universe not necessarily following the crew of the Serenity. Mainly because I like Horses and Starships :-p
  • See, I'm like that with a lot of things. I like to see the impact of the hero's actions on a different scale, or just how different people react to the same world. That's kinda why I like 08th MS Team: Amuro Rae is the hero (8th MS takes place just before the original, IIRC), but you kinda see how a Mobile Suit war plays out for the people who aren't the shining, golden heroes.
  • I still want a show in the firefly universe not necessarily following the crew of the Serenity. Mainly because I like Horses and Starships :-p
    Hmm, Firefly: TNG would be cool. There's definitely no hope for more Firefly within the next two years though, since Joss is writing and directing Avengers 2.
  • Wow, Young Justice is up on there with a $10m goal. The initial rush has already happened and so far it's 0.2% funded. Talk about misjudging the audience.
  • edited May 2013
    Why does it say "#YJ" everywhere instead of Young Justice? And why are they using their blue SMGO logo with four unintelligible hashtags in that big black box instead of the Young Justice logo? They should at least have a video interview with the director or creator or something explaining what's going on. SMGO is really botching this.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • There is no way to not botch this, so I wouldn't worry. ;^)
  • This thread is the #1 google result for "uncancel TV shows". Weird moment.
  • edited May 2013
    This thread is the #1 google result for "uncancel TV shows". Weird moment.
    We're relevant!
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • This thread is the #1 google result for "uncancel TV shows". Weird moment.
    Were you logged into Google as you? That would change the results, and probably boost FRCF results higher than they otherwise would be.
  • More shows added.

-Body of Proof Season 4 (needs 15,000 votes)
    -Futurama Season 8 (needs 10,000 votes)
    -Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season 6 (needs 10,000 votes)
    -Touch Season 3 (needs 15,000 votes)
    -Legend of the Seeker Season 3 (needs, 15,000 votes)
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars is dumb to be on there, Disney just announced Star Wars: Rebels to replace it. (which is funny because I always thought the time between III and IV would be more interesting anyhow :-p)
  • Hmm. I wouldn't mind more Legend of the Seeker. It was entertaining, however corny.
  • More shows added.

-Body of Proof Season 4 (needs 15,000 votes)
    -Futurama Season 8 (needs 10,000 votes)
    -Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season 6 (needs 10,000 votes)
    -Touch Season 3 (needs 15,000 votes)
    -Legend of the Seeker Season 3 (needs, 15,000 votes)
    Does anybody really want more 'Body Of Proof'? It's just another show where someone with special expertise oversteps their bounds.
  • This is such an odd concept if you think of it from the actors' perspective. Imagine if someone called you up and said, "Hey, remember that job that you had a few years ago, but were let go from because the contract ended? Well we're calling to see if you and your team will all drop what you're doing now and come back and do that job again. Probably for less money because our budget is a lot tighter now."