This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Writing: Is there a specific class of people

arrarr
edited May 2013 in Video Games
...who do promotional writing for video games, and more specifically does anyone know where would I find those people?

I'm talking like back of the box (back when there was a box) stuff, the kind made me really excited to play games as a kid.

We have a game for which we need that kind of writing, but I feel underqualified and not really in possession of enough time to do so myself.
Post edited by arr on

Comments

• It's called the marketing department.
  • arrarr
    edited May 2013
    I'ma poor and can't afford a the marketing department. What I probably should've asked in the beginning instead of trying to be fancy is "does anyone know freelance writers who can spin good copy for marketing purposes, specifically in the gaming genre of marketing?"
    Post edited by arr on
  • edited May 2013
    You say that you can't afford "the marketing dept." If you want to pay a freelance writer to do this, I recommend putting up an ad on Craigslist or something...
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I'll do it for a plate of corn muffins.
  • edited May 2013
    Pay Churba to do it; I think he'd do a great job.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Pay Churba to do it; I think he'd do a great job.
  • Pay Churba to do it; I think he'd do a great job.
  • edited May 2013
    That said, your game had better not suck, and you'd best be ready to pay him in Vegemite and/or alcohol; bitcoins are not acceptable because they won't last.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited May 2013
    As much as I don't normally take jobs by being volunteered, I've got the time available at the moment, and I can't let down a three-fold Four-fold vote of confidence like that now, can I?

Cheese is right, your game had better not suck, and I don't take bitcoins, but other than that, I'm happy to discuss it with you and see what we can work out.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited May 2013
    Pay Churba to do it; I think he'd do a great job.
    Make it four-fold.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • As much as I don't normally take jobs by being volunteered
    Oops!
  • As much as I don't normally take jobs by being volunteered
    Oops!
    Nah, It's cool, I don't actually mind at all. Just gentle ribbing. I appreciate that you all think highly enough of me to make a recommendation, more than anything.
  • I will work for bitcoins.
  • I will work for total creative control over the entire project.
  • I will work for peanuts. It's just up to you to figure out how to send peanuts via Paypal.
  • I will work for total creative control over the entire project.
    I'll work for no creative control, but 50% revenue share and a $20,000 advance.
  • YoshoKotana: $20k Zimbabwean dollars headed your way, once you sign the contract giving over all rights to the future work of you and any blood relations.

Churba: Message headed your way.

I hope our game doesn't suck, but I'm very nervous about that, so feedback on that side would be awesome. Anyone here interested in seeing it?
  • Yes of course COME ON
  • Totes. Give it to us.
  • As a fellow dev I would respectfully OMG JUST SHOW US ALREADY
  • If you ordered anything less than 50 pounds of fireworks for the reveal, I'll be sorely disappointed.
  • Barbie Horse Adventure 3?
  • I wanna see!
  • That is one orange man.
  • OMZ THE PRESSURE

Yeah I've been running around doing crazy things. I'll put it up soon!

Churba: sent you a message, give me a buzz whenever you're free.
  • OK, what was this, 3 months? Not bad for me.

So the first big reveal: What I'm finishing up is actually a book, but with dice-rolling elements in it, and inventory, and game like elements. Essentially a single-player RPG.

I'm doing a beta test/focus group with younger audiences, so if anyone knows someone with kids 10-15 I'd be interested in seeing if that set still goes for sentences and paragraphs.

If one or two of you want to see it I can sneak you a look at it as well.
  • I have a 14 year old. What is the genre?
  • OK, what was this, 15 months? Not bad for me. LIFE ADVICE NEVER MAKE A GAME.

We have a trailer though. I've never made a trailer before, so that was pretty cool.