This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Grand Prix Round 3 - Galaga

Comments

• Just seems like they'd probably take it out on the 3DS versions and the like, so as nice as practicing on-the-go would be, doesn't really make sense to play any version but the arcade one.
  • I wanna join in on this! I'm gonna wait til last second to stream so I can get maximum practice though.
  • edited May 2013
    I wanna join in on this! I'm gonna wait til last second to stream so I can get maximum practice though.
    I should mention that the free time on my schedule is first come first serve. Also, it's up to other people to get their streaming technology working beforehand. I don't have time to sit and help you fix your shit. Get it working beforehand. If your shit doesn't work on schedule, and it's your fault, you get a zero. No reschedules. The fact that I'm doing this is already crazy. Please have respect for my time.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Man, no 3DS Virtual Console port. It's probably because they want you to buy the Pac Man & Galaga Dimensions. Hmmm...
  • http://www.galagagame.net/galaga.php ?
    That version is waaaay harder than the Galaga I remember... or maybe I'm just way worse at Galaga than I remember.
  • edited May 2013
    If you want to play the original arcade version, perhaps through MAME, you need to make sure it is configured properly. The player should start with three lives at the default difficulty of rank B (medium). And the player should not be able to have more than two shots on the screen at the same time.
    You're missing one other important setting in your description - bonus life allocation. As far as I know, the standard is extra lives at 20K, 70K, and every 70K thereafter.

I'm running galagao.zip on MAME, with these settings; I'm assuming they're correct:
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited May 2013
    If you can manage to not shoot those left two bees, you've already got skills. If you can dodge for 20 minutes without getting hit, you've got skills. Even then, you still have to play after that with no guys shooting at you. After that, you still have to get a high score, which also takes skills. Sure, nobody will shoot at you, which makes it much easier, but not super easy. You won't hit all the guys in the challenging stage. Game over will happen eventually when the bad guys get fast. None of you are going to be that good. If one of you are, Twin Galaxies submission. Congratulations!
    The no-shooting bug isn't really very hard to execute; it's just tedious. By allowing it, you make it essentially mandatory to do it in order to be competitive (unless of course you're really good).

The main consequence is to exacerbate this effect:
    I dislike classic arcade challenges that are basically just endurance tests once you've mastered the core skills of the game.
    With the enemies shooting, I think very few (likely zero) people would have come anywhere near mastering the core skills, but with the no-shoot bug the game is far more tedious, both in initially executing the bug and in the subsequent play.
  • I'll use an example of Twin Galaxies. Records for things like perfect Asteroids or Donkey Kong runs impress me at about the same level that "ate the most eggs" and "jump roped the most times" records do. They're impressive feats of endurance and certain skills, but entirely boring in almost all other aspects.
  • edited May 2013
    Speedruns are much more interesting than high score runs, generally speaking. I think we should have a speedrun / time trial round at one point.
  • I have the same distaste for endurance-based arcade challenges, but I always got a kick out of anecdotes of arcade games where you could rack up so many extra lives that the game could run unattended while you go take a shit.

I could definitely see a speedrun challenge happening.
  • If you can manage to not shoot those left two bees, you've already got skills. If you can dodge for 20 minutes without getting hit, you've got skills. Even then, you still have to play after that with no guys shooting at you. After that, you still have to get a high score, which also takes skills. Sure, nobody will shoot at you, which makes it much easier, but not super easy. You won't hit all the guys in the challenging stage. Game over will happen eventually when the bad guys get fast. None of you are going to be that good. If one of you are, Twin Galaxies submission. Congratulations!
    The no-shooting bug isn't really very hard to execute; it's just tedious. By allowing it, you make it essentially mandatory to do it in order to be competitive (unless of course you're really good).

The main consequence is to exacerbate this effect:I dislike classic arcade challenges that are basically just endurance tests once you've mastered the core skills of the game.
    With the enemies shooting, I think very few (likely zero) people would have come anywhere near mastering the core skills, but with the no-shoot bug the game is far more tedious, both in initially executing the bug and in the subsequent play.I honestly don't believe most of the players are capable of pulling it off. I also want to laugh at those who die trying. I also want to laugh at those who try to do it and mess up by perhaps accidentally killing a guy on the left. I want to laugh extra hard at those who make it, and then die from enemies falling on them, since they won't be shooting.

The only reason I have this attitude is because it is a "one chance" challenge. If it ran like the Canabalt round, the trick would have to be outlawed since everyone would eventually be able to do it.

As for extra ships, I just realized there is an issue. All the release of the game have a default of 30k, 70K, Every 70K. However, according to the original arcade manual, it looks like 20k, 70k, Every 70K is the default and there is no combination of dip switches to get it to be 30/70/70.

Arcade manual

http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-videogames/G/Galaga.pdf

NES manual

http://www.nesfiles.com/NES/Galaga/Galaga.pdf

So if you are using MAME, you should get the Ms. Pac-Man / Galaga ROM which has 30/70/70.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91jV-XE4ahS.pdf
  • Speedruns are much more interesting than high score runs, generally speaking. I think we should have a speedrun / time trial round at one point.
    City Escape!
  • edited May 2013
    So if you are using MAME, you should get the Ms. Pac-Man / Galaga ROM which has 30/70/70.
    I just tried it, and you still get one at 20K instead of 30K. Maybe there's different versions of the Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga combo, though.
  • So if you are using MAME, you should get the Ms. Pac-Man / Galaga ROM which has 30/70/70.
    I just tried it, and you still get one at 20K instead of 30K. Maybe there's different versions of the Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga combo, though.
    Why can't this ever be easy...
  • You may as well allow both.
  • You may as well allow both.
    I was thinking that. The only real difference is you can get that one extra life 10,000 points earlier. I don't think that will prove much of an advantage.

Also, apparently twin galaxies does disallow the trick that makes enemies stop shooting. I just wonder how they exactly enforce it. At what exact point is the run declared invalid? What if I start to do the trick, and then stop?
  • I think it's pretty easy to confirm, because the effect of the trick (enemies not shooting) is obvious. Your run is invalid if at some point you attempt the trick and enemies stop shooting after that point.

Also, I presume that if someone's score exceeds 1 million (unlikely as that is) and cannot be displayed on screen you will simply keep track of the missing digits manually.
  • I think it's pretty easy to confirm, because the effect of the trick (enemies not shooting) is obvious. Your run is invalid if at some point you attempt the trick and enemies stop shooting after that point.

Also, I presume that if someone's score exceeds 1 million (unlikely as that is) and cannot be displayed on screen you will simply keep track of the missing digits manually.
    Yeah, apparently people play on the second player slot so the million digit is visible.

• This is one of the times where an actual arcade machine would be superior, and not just for nostalgia value. Even though the NES version is just fine, I can't shoot nearly as fast as in the arcade. I'm not sure if its software or hardware but in the arcade versions I've played its literally as fast as you can press the button. Its not THAT big of a deal on regular stages but on the challenge levels it can be a pain.
  • This is one of the times where an actual arcade machine would be superior, and not just for nostalgia value. Even though the NES version is just fine, I can't shoot nearly as fast as in the arcade. I'm not sure if its software or hardware but in the arcade versions I've played its literally as fast as you can press the button. Its not THAT big of a deal on regular stages but on the challenge levels it can be a pain.
    The arcade machine you played on was misconfigured. Some arcade machines had an option that allowed unlimited bullets on screen at once, and firing as fast as you can press. Proper Galaga allows only two bullets on screen at once. Yes, if one of your shots hits, you can fire another one immediately. That's how you get lots of hits in the challenge stages. I have not noticed any difference for the NES version in this regard.
  • edited May 2013
    This is one of the times where an actual arcade machine would be superior, and not just for nostalgia value. Even though the NES version is just fine, I can't shoot nearly as fast as in the arcade. I'm not sure if its software or hardware but in the arcade versions I've played its literally as fast as you can press the button. Its not THAT big of a deal on regular stages but on the challenge levels it can be a pain.
    The MAME version is essentially identical to the arcade version.
    The arcade machine you played on was misconfigured. Some arcade machines had an option that allowed unlimited bullets on screen at once, and firing as fast as you can press. Proper Galaga allows only two bullets on screen at once. Yes, if one of your shots hits, you can fire another one immediately. That's how you get lots of hits in the challenge stages. I have not noticed any difference for the NES version in this regard.
    Ah, if the two-bullet limitation is what ninjarabbi meant, then yeah, that's a standard part of the game.
  • I have in my history played a few arcade cabinets that allowed infinite shooting. I think one was ag MAGFest. It is WAY easy.
  • Oh damn, yeah that's what I was talking about. I haven't played Galaga in the arcade in a long time, anyway. On another note, man I've gotten rusty.
  • edited May 2013
    I just played for the first time and performing the bug is so boring it's not even funny. Skill needed = almost 0, just need somewhat good luck to avoid weird shoots/bees pattern happening and capacity to stay awake. I don't think I'm doing this bullshit again.

I would ban that bug. Fuck your laughts.
    Post edited by 5ro4 on
  • I'll see if I can do it consistently and maybe change my mind.
  • Good. Could you also post your average score to have some kind of measurement? I have no clue on which amount of score is decent.
  • Is there a time limit?

Can I invoke the bug and then just hang out with one harmless enemy until you ragequit the stream?
  • Is there a time limit?

Can I invoke the bug and then just hang out with one harmless enemy until you ragequit the stream?
    If people do this, then I will have a time limit. I imagine the vast majority of games will last not even a few minutes. You will get killed.
  • Score per second.
  • What if I don't do something dumb like wait forever to delay you, but just play a very slow and conservative game? 30 minutes or more of slowly building points?