This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Grand Prix Round 3 - Galaga

Comments

• Also, double ship is doubly important on challenge stages.
  • Also, double ship is doubly important on challenge stages.
    Yes indeed. I try to get the double shit right before a challenge stage. That way I can get my points worth before losing the double ship, which always happens to me for some reason.
  • "the double shit"
  • I used to double ship as soon as I could but I tend to get hit a lot sooner afterwards since I'm twice as big.
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah I tend to avoid double shipping. Though I will use the opportunity to kill the enemy.
    I did try it in a game for the challenge stage. It does make it super easy but I don't think it's really worth losing the life, and I lose the life fast pretty much no matter what.
    Post edited by Shiam on
  • I think bonus points should be awarded if you live-stream your attempt from an old school arcade on an actual Galaga cabinet.
  • edited May 2013
    Ok, so people were curious about my scores. I just played a whole bunch.

When I double-ship I feel like mother fucking Ben Franklin. It's double the fire power, if you can keep it. I can not keep it. When I get a double ship I use it in one challenge stage for a big point boost, but then lost half of it almost immediately. This way I only get to stage 5 with a score in the 30 or 40thousand range.

If I play single ship only, I can get to around stage 12-14 with a score in the 70k range. As soon as I get that second extra ship I seem to start dying like crazy.

I'm playing with MAME and my Street Fighter IV tournament stick.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • When I double-ship I feel like mother fucking Ben Franklin. It's double the fire power, if you can keep it. I can not keep it. When I get a double ship I use it in one challenge stage for a big point boost, but then lost half of it almost immediately. This way I only get to stage 5 with a score in the 30 or 40thousand range.
    That's usually what happens to me. My best games are usually only around 55 thousand though and that's rarely double-shipped. I do have the habit of resetting if I die in the first couple stages but I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I'm just playing the NES version with my EX2 fighting stick.
  • Don't reset. You won't have that ability in your play with Scott and it way brow your psychology off.

Also, I've been too lazy to figure out MAME so I've not played a lick.
  • Don't reset. You won't have that ability in your play with Scott and it way brow your psychology off.

Download and install MAMEUI. Then go get the rom for Galaga, or a torrent of every MAME ROM. Put the ROM(s) into the MAME ROM folder. Open MAMEUI. Double click on Galaga in the list. Press tab. Configure the game. Make sure to configure a button for coin and a button for start. Insert coins. Press start. Shoot bugs.
  • edited May 2013
    Don't reset. You won't have that ability in your play with Scott and it way brow your psychology off.

Download and install MAMEUI. Then go get the rom for Galaga, or a torrent of every MAME ROM. Put the ROM(s) into the MAME ROM folder. Open MAMEUI. Double click on Galaga in the list. Press tab. Configure the game. Make sure to configure a button for coin and a button for start. Insert coins. Press start. Shoot bugs.
    Not quite that easy but close to it. I did have to spend the better part of an hour finding a ROM that was both the correct Galaga (it's not galaga 88) and works in the current version of MAMEUI.
    Post edited by Shiam on

Not quite that easy but close to it. I did have to spend the better part of an hour finding a ROM that was both the correct Galaga (it's not galaga 88) and works in the current version of MAMEUI.
    I'll post the one I have when I get a chance.
  • edited May 2013
    Here is a zip file with every Galaga MAME ROM that there is.

https://mega.co.nz/#!l840URxD!NrjT5TbVtaoE2Ay8cI5aSlU86ihvIshzCJxc2Tp2R-0
  • Thanks Scott! Of the versions in the ROM you just posted. Which one should we be playing with? Is there a difference between Midway set 1, set 2, or Namco?
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks Scott! Of the versions in the ROM you just posted. Which one should we be playing with? Is there a difference between Midway set 1, set 2, or Namco?
    I'm playing Namco Revision B I think.

Confirmed: Namco Rev. B is the best.
  • In the arcade version there is only one fire button, correct? On the Nintendo and some other versions any of the main buttons work. Because of this sometimes is is possible to fire more quickly by going back and forth between them, and it is also possible to fire two shots pretty much simultaneously which is useful for quickly killing Galagan commanders. Is this Kosher, or should I adjust my play style just to 1 button?
  • In the arcade version there is only one fire button, correct? On the Nintendo and some other versions any of the main buttons work. Because of this sometimes is is possible to fire more quickly by going back and forth between them, and it is also possible to fire two shots pretty much simultaneously which is useful for quickly killing Galagan commanders. Is this Kosher, or should I adjust my play style just to 1 button?
    As long as no more than two bullets are on the screen at once. I can fire two bullets really quickly when the screen is blank.
  • edited May 2013
    Just gave your list a go, Scott. My OS is 32 bit. Gotta see if I can track down MAMEUI32

*EDIT*

FFS, my system hates MAME. MAME32 has been acquired but after importing the ROMs, I'm told I'm missing a slew of files. Reduced practice time or not, I'm gonna make it work!
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • Just gave your list a go, Scott. My OS is 32 bit. Gotta see if I can track down MAMEUI32
    Oh yeah. I use 64.
  • Finally got it resolved. Got my first 2 practice games in. 86690 the first go and 103470 the second. Damn, I'm rusty.
  • A bit of strategy.

You should be double ship all the way. Get it and learn to keep it. In my second practice run, I didn't lose my first double ship until wave 12.

With the double ship, attack the incoming waves AGGRESSIVELY. On a semi early wave only 3 bugs remained after they all set in. There can be more points made if you slow roll and try to get the special bugs each level but to me that extra time only invites disaster.

Learn what the challenge stage flight patterns are. I sense the difference between 3900 and 10000 for missing that one dude in a challenge is going to be key. Double ship also makes challenges baby mode unless you screw up.
  • The only problem I have is when I get aggressive with the double ship, that incoming wave eventually happens where the bugs shoot like 5 missiles at you and then two of the bugs dive kamikaze right next to them. I always seem to dodge the missiles right into the kamikaze bugs.
  • Yeah it seems like I always loose it to a Kamikaze.
  • Keep firing. Assuming you were in a good position to hit the fliers on the way in (and you're able to shoot, not waiting for misses to clear), the kamikazes should be easily shot.
  • A lot of the time I get cornered or its a guy that flies off screen under me and back up.
  • Finally got around setting up MAME and playing some arcade Gradius. It feels totally different, from nes version, the enemies feel a lot more aggressive from start and everything feels a little faster.

Also I'm not very good at Gradius. Sure it's a matter of lack of practice, but practice takes patience and that's not one of my virtues.
  • Gradius is pretty great, but it's not Galaga.
  • Gradius is pretty great, but it's not Galaga.
    I meant Galaga. They are both arcade games that start with G, it's easy mistake to make.

• I finally got MAME setup as well but my controller seems off. The button presses don't seem to register as quickly as with the NES version. Is there some joystick setting I'm missing?
  • Incidentally, you can hit 20k points before you even get to the first challenge stage. I wouldn't recommend aiming for it, though.