This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Grand Prix Round 3 - Galaga

Comments

• I tend to go slow on the first stage because it's just not that threatening. It's the warm up round.

I really regret that there has been a galaga machine in my workplace for five years and I havn't ever played it. This could have been the round that was rigged in my favor.
  • I tend to go slow on the first stage because it's just not that threatening. It's the warm up round.

I really regret that there has been a galaga machine in my workplace for five years and I havn't ever played it. This could have been the round that was rigged in my favor.
    You have an arcade machine in your office, and you've never used it? So sad.
  • When I was at Blizzard, we had multiple machines. I've had some form of emulator and had over 100 games on it. I was the holder of the galaga high score for over a year.
  • So far only one person has scheduled their play. If you all wait for the last minute, I probably won't have time for you at all, and you'll get a zero for lack of appointment.
  • I am on a work trip. I'll schedule my play once I can get past 30,000 with some more regularity.
  • Someone actually scheduled a game!
  • I have not practiced since my last post here and scored 130,170. Apparently I should never play again until my time to stream. >_<
  • Finally about to start training, due to having been super busy recently - do you guys have recommendations for a ROM torrent?
  • Scott linked a download earlier in this thread. I'm too lazy at the moment to find it for you.
  • I pulled that one; I was thinking of an "Every MAME ROM ever" torrent.
  • I pulled that one; I was thinking of an "Every MAME ROM ever" torrent.
    Am I the only person who knows how to use google or pirate bay?
  • There are a lot of them out there, but it's not always a cinch to find working/complete/virus-free ones.
  • There are a lot of them out there, but it's not always a cinch to find working/complete/virus-free ones.
    Hard to put a virus in some MAME ROMs.
  • edited June 2013
    There are a lot of them out there, but it's not always a cinch to find working/complete/virus-free ones.
    This is really true. MAME roms can take a lot of work to get running correctly. For a start, you need all the BIOS of the game systems in the MAME directory, THEN you need to find one compatible with your MAME version.

If someone were to tell me the EXACT rom to use, that would be pretty helpful, or at least a starting point.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • edited June 2013
    If you can't get MAME working, there are plenty of other options that are easier. Try the Namco museum ROM in your PSX emulator.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • If you can't get MAME working, there are plenty of other options that are easier. Try the Namco museum ROM in your PSX emulator.
    I'm playing the Namco museum DS version and wondering how you wil be able to SEE that over a stream :)

• If you can't get MAME working, there are plenty of other options that are easier. Try the Namco museum ROM in your PSX emulator.
    I'm playing the Namco museum DS version and wondering how you wil be able to SEE that over a stream :)

Get your webcam really close to it.
  • edited June 2013
    In little less than 10 minutes I will be attempting this challenge, and I've decided to make it a public humiliation.
    In Watch live video from apsup on www.twitch.tv my pitiful attempt should be live streamed.
    At 6pm EST. Is the exact time.
    Post edited by Apsup on
  • Jumping on the public humiliation bandwagon, I'll be attempting this in about 15 minutes here:
  • So far we've had two people play Galaga. I know a lot of you are pussies who bailed on this round. Well, you've got about a month before CTCon. Better make some appointments. Next week is a really good time since Rym is going away for a bit.
  • I think you've found the threshold of effort the participants are willing to give.
  • So far we've had two people play Galaga. I know a lot of you are pussies who bailed on this round. Well, you've got about a month before CTCon. Better make some appointments. Next week is a really good time since Rym is going away for a bit.
    I was hoping for that. I know my score was shit, but if people are lazy I can still get good ranking.

• I'm gonna start getting my shit together next week as long as I remember. My goal for this was to play every game, because like Apsup, I know I will beat certain people just by showing up.
  • edited June 2013
    I'm going to be honest. The lack of a tight time frame unlike previous rounds has pushed this to the back of my brain, quite a bit. I've only practiced 3 times. This round format is killin' me smalls.

A bad practice run for me is rivaling the 2 scores posted thus far. #GauntletThrown #ProjectShitTalk
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • Okay, I'd like to make an appointment; I should be able to make pretty much any time in the next week.
  • Okay, I'd like to make an appointment; I should be able to make pretty much any time in the next week.
    Email.
  • Anyone know what streaming software I should use? I was going to use Twitch, but it seems to be down.
  • edited June 2013
    Anyone know what streaming software I should use? I was going to use Twitch, but it seems to be down.
    WOW. Crazy! Twitch is really down.

Can you use Google Hangout or Skype?
  • edited June 2013
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/lackofcheese-s-stream
    I think that will work.
    It was working, but it just went off the air. Also, does Ustream not have integrated chat anymore? It seem's there are just Facebook and social comments.