This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Grand Prix Round 3 - Galaga

Comments

• Yeah, I stopped streaming; give me a moment and I'll start again. I don't know if there's any chat available; if you want to give me some kind of instructions we can arrange something.
  • Yeah, I stopped streaming; give me a moment and I'll start again. I don't know if there's any chat available; if you want to give me some kind of instructions we can arrange something.
    Just get me on GChat (now called Hangout?)
  • Well, I just did my run, and I actually beat my own high score! That's a really nice feeling in a one-time run.

Also, I have to say, I really felt the pressure of doing it live. I didn't expect it, but it was definitely there.
  • edited June 2013
    I might actually be legitimately too busy to schedule something within the remaining time frame. Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Okay, I've been going through streaming setups, in case any of you people want to watch me embarass myself live. Would you guys rather I use twitch, where you can hear me and the Galaga game, or a Google hangout, where I don't think I can mix the Galaga and microphone audio, but I'll be able to hear you guys making fun of me live?
  • edited June 2013
    Okay, I'm going to be embarrassing myself live tomorrow at 8PM EDT (that's midnight UDT), at http://twitch.tv/linkigi. If any of you want to be there to laugh at me live, that will be fine.

In fact, I'll probably be throwing in some practice tonight as well.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited July 2013
    And I just produced a thoroughly mediocre run, primarily due to accidentally killing my own double ship just before a challenge stage. However, since you slackers aren't streaming, I'm still in third place.

Although the best part of that run was the poetic justice - as the double ship I was going to kill was being captured, I said out loud "in retrospect, this is probably going to have been a bad idea..."
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • There's not much time left to challenge. You people who have abstained from this round should probably just submit a score. At this point, any score will get you substantial championship points. No, I'm not going to cancel the round due to lack of interest.
  • As in, no livestream required? Should we submit a screenshot or something?
  • As in, no livestream required? Should we submit a screenshot or something?
    No. It's still a one-chance stream. But even if you do it and die in level 1, you will score points.
  • Just wanted to drop in and say I wont have time to schedule a game. Currently around Boston for a special class for several weeks. GL all.
  • So, this round needs to be concluded.
  • I got my Twitch account back. If the round isn't over yet, I'll livestream the 3 levels I manage to survive.
  • The round is indeed over. I've just been way too busy. Since interest is almost nil at this point, I'm just going to do one more round. Perhaps we will do it again in the future taking into account lessons learned during the beta.
  • Interest wouldn't be nil if you made all the rounds as easy to enter as round one. And as fun to play as round one. Backgammon is one of my least favorite board games ever, so as soon as match arranging had to be done, the more-than-zero stress involved made me back out immediately. Galaga is indeed fun, but you made scheduling a job for me, rather than providing and easy way for me to take part.

If you learn from what you did wrong the last two rounds and what you did right the first round, interest would raise quite substantially. If the rounds only lasted two weeks, rather than an indeterminate length of time, interest would stay high.

I think you shouldn't have abandoned time limits on rounds and instead abandoned fiddly scheduling and stress. People don't want to schedule stuff, they want to play games. Scheduling is work. Games are fun.

• edited August 2013
    There is something to be said for that.

Here's a suggestion - extend the Galaga round, and change the requirements so that instead of Scott needing to be the person watching your stream, it can be any other participant. We can also keep recordings to avoid troubles.

It will be a lot easier to get everything done if we're not hanging on valuable Scott-minutes; I think we might see more entries for the Galaga round that way.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I had plenty of time to watch lots of people play. Nobody even bothered to email and schedule.
  • Maybe they felt intimidated?

I feel like the first two rounds went well, so unless people just got bored there has to be a specific reason the third didn't work so well.
  • I believe the reason round 3 wasn't as widely participated in was the barrier of entry.I was more effort than most were willing to put forth with out and end goal. If the GP had set number of round more would be willing.
  • Was it because people aren't familiar with streaming?
  • Either that or they, like me, said, "Fuck that."
  • The thing that made me say "Fuck that" was that I had to do scheduling. This is what turned me off two out of three rounds. It wouldn't be problem if each round lasted just a week, because saying "fuck that" would mean I had a new game to compete with after just a few more days. Sitting out a round wouldn't mean waiting three or four months to take part in a new competition.

• I think you shouldn't have abandoned time limits on rounds and instead abandoned fiddly scheduling and stress. People don't want to schedule stuff, they want to play games. Scheduling is work. Games are fun.
    This. If we could use something like screenshots or captures it would be a lot easier. I doubt we have that many cheaters on here anyway. At least not ones who would put too much effort into it.

• edited August 2013
    You can't really use screenshots or captures when it's a single-attempt competition. It's not really a matter of cheating; it's simply that it's quite hard (without external pressures) to commit to one particular attempt being your one and only score attempt.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • You can't really use screenshots or captures when it's a single-attempt competition. It's not really a matter of cheating; it's simply that it's quite hard (without external pressures) to commit to one particular attempt being your one and only score attempt.
    True, but the earlier mentioned solution of letting anyone else taking part be the witness to your attempt is probably enough to keep people honest.

Personally if Scott had said "Everyone on Google Hangout at this time and date! Everyone share their screen and have one attempt! If you're not there to take part... tough!" I'd have been happy. If the date was just a week away, and I couldn't make it, then it would be fine! I'd still be able to take part in the following round the next week.
  • You can't really use screenshots or captures when it's a single-attempt competition. It's not really a matter of cheating; it's simply that it's quite hard (without external pressures) to commit to one particular attempt being your one and only score attempt.
    True, but the earlier mentioned solution of letting anyone else taking part be the witness to your attempt is probably enough to keep people honest.

Personally if Scott had said "Everyone on Google Hangout at this time and date! Everyone share their screen and have one attempt! If you're not there to take part... tough!" I'd have been happy. If the date was just a week away, and I couldn't make it, then it would be fine! I'd still be able to take part in the following round the next week.
    That is a good idea! Time and date - devote an evening to it. Say, 4 hours. Everyone needs to turn up, chat, and we watch everyone turn their cams on have their "one shot". With advanced warning, we should mostly be able to free up some time during that slot.

Makes it more of a social event too. Everyone there.
  • You people couldn't show up when I let you pick any time at all. If I pick just one time and one time only, who is actually going to make it?
  • edited August 2013
    Well, it would feel more like an occasion? An FRC event? If lots of people have voice chat, it could be really fun.

Ie Just a bit of a laugh. The game is just the catalyst.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • You people couldn't show up when I let you pick any time at all. If I pick just one time and one time only, who is actually going to make it?
    I might.
  • You people couldn't show up when I let you pick any time at all.
    We didn't because it didn't sound fun. Yes being able to tout the fact that you are better is appealing but I don't believe that is why we joined. With no prizes to win the only reward is the fun you had competing and a single shot of Galaga isn't that.

I believe the earlier rounds worked because Canabalt had a stupid low barrier of entry and backgammon had the fun of head-to-head competition. Future rounds need one or both of these characteristics; fun and easy.