This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Adventure Time!

Comments

• With FY you are thinking about the end of the entire series. In Escaflowne Rym is talking about the end of a particular episode late in the series.
  • With FY you are thinking about the end of the entire series. In Escaflowne Rym is talking about the end of a particular episode late in the series.
    Ahhh, okay, now I understand. Thanks for clarifying.
  • I choose them randomly partly to see if anyone notices them.
  • edited May 2013
    I listen to them when they're either something really unique-sounding or relevant to the episode at hand, like when you used "Worthless" in the episode where that was your TotD. I usually stop listening if it's just a random Eurobeat-sounding track, not because I don't like them but because I prefer listening to a lot of Eurobeat at a stretch rather than just hearing one song or a portion of a song.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • For anyone interested, Nozomi's official Youtube channel has (nearly) all of the Utena episodes. They are nearly done uploading all of them, sub and dub episodes.

I tried the dub: it stinks.

Since it's come up again, is the difference between Adventure Time and Archer/Venture Bros./Sealab 2021 for Scott that that Adventure Time isn't so closely referential to what inspires its world, while these other shows just make obvious references to what they're parodying or referencing?
  • Well that's upsetting. Thank you for hurting my delicate, delicate soul.
  • Well that's upsetting. Thank you for hurting my delicate, delicate soul.
    I'm pretty sure that just watching the show does that already.

• I don't really watch the show. XP
  • Yeah, that's, I- Where to start?
  • I'll probably buy the second season on itunes this weekend.
  • Simon and Marcy was... Futuramish? Even though you could see it coming from about a season and a half away, it was still really bittersweet.
  • Simon and Marcy was... Futuramish? Even though you could see it coming from about a season and a half away, it was still really bittersweet.
    I would say Futuramish from back in the Seasons 1-5 way. It felt much more genuine since we've only peaked into Ice King's life a few times. But Scrym really did make me reflect over why this show is so brilliant. Primarily in the fact that no one is dumb (With the exception of Cinnamon Bun) and it just has creative talent working in every aspect from the art, to the dialogue, to the character design and music.

• One more thought on this episode: maybe you're going a little too far lately with judging quality by the urge to watch. Sure, it's an important observation that there isn't a lot of great stuff out there and that said rare great stuff often inspires intense, marathon viewing and lots of revisiting. It's also the case (well established in neuro literature!) that humans tend to formulate emotional responses first and then come up with rational explanations afterwards. This is not necessarily wrong in any way; these responses often incorporate lots of information that's hard for the reasoning mind to fully wrap itself around. (For example, subtle facial muscle movements when you're trying to size someone up.) Reviews that attempt to judge a piece entirely by the skillfulness and originality of its individual components are often going to miss the mark.

My experience, though, is that the urge to watch something is fairly idiosyncratic and often depends almost entirely on what you're getting out of it at a given moment. Adventure Time and Venture Brothers still continue to leave me completely cold. That doesn't mean that they're bad shows; it just means that they don't hold anything that is engaging or challenging me at this point in time, either in the content itself or the surrounding internet stuff.
  • edited June 2013
    Scrym always have and probably always will confuse and mix the languages of relative preference and absolute quality. If I remember right they've both got solid arguments as to why they do that, though I've noticed Rym making an effort to avoid it in some cases. It's just how they think/communicate.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited June 2013
    I would say Futuramish from back in the Seasons 1-5 way.
    Yeah, I definitely meant in the Jurassic Bark/7-leaf clover episode way. Just aww, man :(
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • An 'Adventure' For Kids And Maybe For Their Parents, Too.

I still need to watch this series. I think I'm like 12 episodes in.
  • I just recently reached the latest episodes that have come out. The first season, while enjoyable didn't really grasp me in same way as later ones did. I'm not sure what it is exactly that changes but it just got way more pulling season 2 onwards.
  • edited June 2013
    I got about part way through the first season on Netflix and I thought it was pretty decent. Then when I was flying to Amsterdam Delta had a few of the 5th season episodes on the TV thing. I watched the episode where it explains some of the Ice King's backstory with Marcelene and that episode alone hooked me. I had to see more after that.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I was hooked since Treetrunks.
  • I watched the episode where it explains some of the Ice King's backstory with Marcelene and that episode alone hooked me.
    The episode where they show much more of the ice king's backstory was straight up creepy as hell.

• Dana Snyder in the Little Dude episode was cracking me up too.
  • Semi-related to Adventure Time, really liking the looks of Natasha Allegri's Bee and PuppyCat. Definitely got a bit of that Adventure Time feel. It's adorable, has a nice ratio of dryness to cartoon WTFery, and is absolutely ripe for making Tumblr gifsets. Also, farts. Gotta have farts.

• I think I may like that more than Bravest Warriors.
  • edited July 2013
    I think I may like that more than Bravest Warriors.
    But not more than CatBug specifically.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited July 2013
    But not more than CatBug specifically.
    Not yet. They are definitely my two favorites from Cartoon Hangover.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • edited July 2013
    Dunno how I forgot that was coming out. I've been looking forward to it since the preview. Pretty fun so far, with a little bit more of a serious undercurrent than Bravest Warriors or AT. Wish the main character was a bit less of a complete loser but I assume it's setting up so she actually learns things and stuff.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • edited July 2013
    I've watched 3 seasons and I don't know if I should seek out just a subset of future episodes. For some reason I was expecting it to be one of those shows that starts out zany and carefree and then introduces serious themes and horror until that drama is the main focus of the show. A bit like the "serious" episodes near the end of Excel Saga.

Given that's what I wanted and Adventure Time occasionally pays out, which episodes should I pay attention to past season 3? Am I right in thinking the Lich returns and the Ice King gets a flashback episode? That's the good stuff.
    Post edited by Totally Guy on
  • If you want more Lich, you should check out the current arc of the comics.