This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Opening the closet

2»

Comments

• She doesn't need to come out to me. She needs to come out to someone on the legal/therapy side so rather than treat her like their is something seriously wrong with her they will just see a kid confused about her sexuality.
    Okay, yeah, that is probably true. Have you voiced your concerns to the therapist? Everybody expecting her to become a delinquent is NOT going to help her avoid that path, and they ought to know better. Kids can tell when people have already decided something about them.

Alternatively, it may not just be about sexual identity. 13 is a hard age (as I'm sure you know). Psych may have a point. Finding out what they suggest you do to help her isn't a bad idea. (They may also be off-base, but you need to show them you're working with them to give her the best care you can.)

That's a crappy situation to be in with a teenager. It's hard enough when family dynamics are stable. I hope things work out for the best for all of you.
  • edited May 2013
    This case is different. Due to the custody fight last year the court has gotten involved. When they see a teenage girl suddenly dump all her friends and become a recluse they think the worst.
    That happened to my sister with clockwork regularity for a few years. Though that was mostly because she had a bad habit of treating her friends like shit, and they just got sick of her bollocks.

I doubt that's happening with your daughter, but just saying, it's not necessarily delinquency on the approach. Hell, maybe she just doesn't get on with those people as well as she thought - teenage friend groups are always subject to some chopping and changing.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • She doesn't need to come out to me. She needs to come out to someone on the legal/therapy side so rather than treat her like their is something seriously wrong with her they will just see a kid confused about her sexuality.
    Would she understand this? Does she want you to win the custody case? Would she be okay with using her own sexuality as a tool to win an unrelated battle?

That's the sort of shit I would pull if I were in her shoes, but then I realize that she is a very different person who is probably less open to manipulating her identity like that.