This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Passwords and Cheat Codes

2»

Comments

• Finally got actually around listening the episode and this is maybe a historic episode. For once Scott has the reasonable view that I agree with and Rym talks out of his ass in his assumptions that LoL is somehow responsible or related to WoW loosing players.
  • I only think it's a catalyst for a subset of players. The primary loss is still the depressives moving on to F2P grinds elsewhere.
  • Finally got actually around listening the episode and this is maybe a historic episode. For once Scott has the reasonable view that I agree with and Rym talks out of his ass in his assumptions that LoL is somehow responsible or related to WoW loosing players.
    Yup!
  • I only think it's a catalyst for a subset of players. The primary loss is still the depressives moving on to F2P grinds elsewhere.
    I still find this assumption of WoW only being played by depressives and addicts a tad insulting and presumptuous. You can't assume that about an entire game because you don't find it fun. Despite you reducing it down to clicking, there's a lot of strategy and exploration in WoW. You can argue all you want that it's a bad game with no depth, and that's fine, you have some valid arguments. But saying that it's just a place for people that you're downing on? You can't presume to know why 8 million people are doing something that they're doing.
  • RymRym
    edited May 2013
    I say that because most of the people who I knew played it and would regularly complain that it wasn't fun in private conversations, but that they played primarily out of social obligation to other people who still played.

The question "how many of you keep playing an MMO you don't actually like?" is met with laughter and assent any time we bring it up at a convention.

I do think most of the people who regularly play WoW, aren't new players, and don't engage in hard core group raiding are addicted to the grind and sense of familiarity.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • RymRym
    edited May 2013
    One big study found a significant correlation between regular play of MMOs and depression.

Among the 7000 players studied, a little more than 30% expressed depression, as opposed to 21% of the general population.

WoW is old. There's only so much to do alone. I can't imagine what someone who isn't deeply integrated in a guild or exploring as a newish player would do but grind alone in the dark, probably while idly watching some TV show and/or dicking around on Youtube. There are so many studies linking long periods of "idle" Internet use to clinical depression it's ridiculous. WoW combines that idleness with a sense of obligation and a sunk cost. It's a perfect storm.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I won't deny that there's a correlation, but I don't think it's such a large percentage of the players. I'd put it at between 10-30% of WoW's current players. It's difficult for me to play for very long without getting guild invites and people building up for raiding. For every raiding guild that's breaking down, I see lots of people still doing it. The majority of players are trying to seriously raid, that niche is the majority of people who go back to WoW.
  • RymRym
    edited May 2013
    This study used WoW as its baseline, and found significant correlations between regular play, especially late play, and depression.

I'd love to read the full text of this other study on player motivations.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I'd read that too for a dollar. Not $51.
  • I'd read that too for a dollar. Not $51.
    We really need to get serious about pirating/leaking formal studies instead of TV shows.

• I wish!
  • Dude did that. They prosecuted him so hard he killed himself. :/
  • I'll gladly pay for the access, if the rates are in relation to my utility for the information.
  • edited May 2013
    Dude did that. They prosecuted him so hard he killed himself. :/
    Holy shit - He actually pirated so hard motherfuckers wanted to fine him, and he was supposed to be locked up too.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited May 2013
    I'd read that too for a dollar. Not $51.
    We really need to get serious about pirating/leaking formal studies instead of TV shows.
    /r/scholar. I'll see if I have access when I'm in front of a computer.

http://ge.tt/1gALpvg/v/0
    http://ge.tt/96DRpvg/v/0
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • Anyone remember these anti-piracy cards for the ZX spectrum?

" During the 80s, home taping was busy destroying music, and of course programmes on cassette tape were just as simple to copy, leading to major problems for the games companies. I remember my household being guilty of this, and having a C90 stuffed with games from some friend or another, although finding the gap between the games to actually load them was an absolute nightmare...

Inventive methods were needed to counter this, and the hugely popular Jet Set Willy was one of the first computer programmes to use anti-piracy methods, packaged with a complicated colour code chart that had to be inputted before the game would start. As colour photocopying was beyond the capabilities of mere mortals, it made an effective anti-piracy method, but, reflecting the lax attitudes to piracy at the time, high street magazine Your Computer actually published a method of circumventing the colour code."
  • Not as cool as the Star Control star charts.
  • edited May 2013
    I'd be tempted to print that out in giant-size, and hang it on my wall. It's oddly appealing to me.

Edit - ZX spectrum anti-piracy chart, or the star chart. Though I would hang them on different walls.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited May 2013
    Yea the freaking Star Control star charts were awesome, though if you were a dumb kid and forgot where you put the chart........
    Post edited by Cremlian on