This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Favorite RPG Town

edited May 2013 in Video Games
Inspired by this thread from Reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1edrg1/whats_your_favorite_town_in_an_rpg_game_why/

What is your favorite RPG town, and why?

I'm not really sure since there are so many good ones. For now I'm going to pick Pravoka. Why?

Comments

• Super Mario RPG Seaside Town.
    First: This music
    Second: So obviously evil that it makes me giggle.
  • I personally like Fourside from Earthbound, big city, plenty of awesome NPCs and MOOOOOOOONSIDDDDDDDDDDE!
  • Ooh, that's good too.
  • The town of Krup in Phantasy Star IV: The End of The Millenium because that's the first time I ever cried for a video game. Because that's where Alys died.
  • edited May 2013
    Summers from Earthbound, because relaxing on the beach and eating kraken stew are worthwhile pursuits. Fourside's a pretty good pick, though, angry taxis and all.
    Post edited by pence on
  • Super Mario RPG Seaside Town.
    First: This music
    Second: So obviously evil that it makes me giggle.
    I blame you for getting that song stuck in my head on loop without clicking on the video.
  • That game has the greatest music. Yoko Shimomura is da bomb.
  • edited May 2013
    Actually, does Hyrule Castle Town from Ocarina count?

Zelda 2 also had some really great towns.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Actually, does Hyrule Castle Town from Ocarina count?

Zelda 2 also had some really great towns.
    Zelda 2 yes, other Zeldas no.
  • If Zelda counts, maybe one of the Wind Waker towns. Maybe Outset. Or Windfall.
    Hmm...
  • Foxton. Though, one wouldn't want to live there.
    Not an RPG.
  • I liked the town from Link to the Past. I spent ages trying to figure out what to do with the girl after I'd used the powder on the chicken.

I went online recently looking up Easter eggs in the game as I'd explored it a lot as a kid and thought there might have been a lot more to find. But nope, turns out I'd found it all and didn't realise.
    Not an RPG.
    What's your definition of an RPG?

I'll go with Evereska.

• edited May 2013
    Foxton. Though, one wouldn't want to live there.
    Not an RPG.

I'll go with Evereska.

A video game with towns that calls itself an RPG.
    Post edited by Apreche on
    Not an RPG.

I'll go with Evereska.

There were several videogame versions of D&D, some of which were set in Forgotten Realms, where this city exists.

So, Evereska.

• Balmora.
    Not an RPG.

I'll go with Evereska.

There were several videogame versions of D&D, some of which were set in Forgotten Realms, where this city exists.

So, Evereska.

In which game?
  • Do you have to be able to get to the town, or does the town just have to be mentioned in a map or by a character?
  • Do you have to be able to get to the town, or does the town just have to be mentioned in a map or by a character?
    It's a town you go to. Typically with buildings to explore, maybe some shops, maybe some NPCs.
  • edited May 2013
    The town you built for yourself in Breath of Fire II.

For the obvious reason of you getting to design it and choices that made your game slightly different on other playthroughs. There were similar mechanics in games like Dragon Warrior III, but this one was my favorite of them in the early days.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Does the Talon from FF Legend III count? It's your dad, it's a ship, and a town all in one.

Also, didn't FF Legend 1 have some sort of secret happy town inside the tower?
  • Aww man, Township in BoFII was da best.
  • edited May 2013
    There's a town in Lufia 2 - I forget the name of it - where you can buy back literally everything you've ever sold or trashed in the game. I always thought that was a neat idea.
    Balmora.
    Good choice.

I always enjoyed Ironforge back in my WoW days,

Also, pretty much everything from Chrono Trigger was awesome.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Violet City?
  • No Pokemon towns, guys?
  • No Pokemon towns, guys?
    OH SNAP WE ARE FAIL.

Best Pokemon town is obviously Lavender town.
  • Always liked Goldenrod with the train and radio tower.
  • Did I ever mention how much I love game towns in general? I really want there to be a game that is just all about towns. Dungeon Village and Recettear come close.
  • edited May 2013
    Dude, town management sim where you have to compete with other RPG towns.

I should make it.

Like, your town would get attacked by monsters, you'd have to attract heroes to beat dungeons and kill baddies by making your town awesome.
    Post edited by Axel on