This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Favorite RPG Town

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King is basically that. Never played it so I don't know if it's any good.
    Post edited by pence on
  • Oh. Right. That game.
    But I think in that game you just hired the heroes. You didn't have to actively attract them...
  • That's it, though. All these games still involve heroes, monsters, and adventures. I want towns only. Even Rune Factory still made you go on adventures.
  • What is the town without the hero, though? The type of town you're talking about it so anachronistic to that world, their features wouldn't exist without adventurers.
  • Dude, town management sim where you have to compete with other RPG towns.

I should make it.

Like, your town would get attacked by monsters, you'd have to attract heroes to beat dungeons and kill baddies by making your town awesome.
    The entertaining part would come about 1/2 way through the game when you start offering tax incentives/outright payment to villains to encourage them to build dungeons in the area, thus drawing in more heroes to and keep your shops and inns in business.
  • What is the town without the hero, though? The type of town you're talking about it so anachronistic to that world, their features wouldn't exist without adventurers.
    It's townsfolk? Townsfolk are still people. And where there are people there are things to do. There can be adventurers in the game, but they just can't be the focus. Even Dungeon Village the adventurers get most of the focus. I want the spotlight on the blacksmith the whole time.
    It's townsfolk? Townsfolk are still people. And where there are people there are things to do. There can be adventurers in the game, but they just can't be the focus. Even Dungeon Village the adventurers get most of the focus. I want the spotlight on the blacksmith the whole time.
    I would just have the adventurer's be another resource. They fight monters to make your town defenses not get destroyed and also bring back items. But the Blacksmith and the Magic shop fight over who gets what items and you have to pick. Then, which stores you have determines what heroes you have, and they have different strengths, so you have to be careful.

• Act Raiser towns?
  • Act Raiser towns?
    YES
  • RymRym
    edited May 2013
    I want a game that's just sim-town in a Final Fantasy universe, but good and crunchy. Prison Architect + Sim City + Recettear + Dwarf Fortress.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I want a game that's just sim-town in a Final Fantasy universe, but good and crunchy. Prison Architect + Sim City + Recettear + Dwarf Fortress.
    Yeah, definitely some Dwarf Fortress in there.
  • Gotta be Meribia across the entire Lunar series.
  • Ald'Rhun and Sadrith Mora; they're everything I love about Morrowind. I also have many good memories of Goldenrod.
  • Ald'Rhun and Sadrith Mora; they're everything I love about Morrowind. I also have many good memories of Goldenrod.
    Everyone is liking these Morrowind towns. I have to say the Oblivion towns were pretty sad. My favorite wasn't even a town, it was the secret paladin outpost where I stored my badass armor and my armor bros.
    I spend most of my Morrowind days in Ald'Rhun, but I'm not sure if I'm too fond of it as a town. Way too many sandstorms and living mostly under the ground seems a little dwarfish to me.

• Windhelm in Skyrim is cool. Maybe I just connect to Snow-land because of Rochester. I also like how everything is going wrong in Dawnstar. XD
  • Now I feel like just talking about generally cool places in video games that aren't necessarily levels. Zelda 1 graveyard!
    Everyone is liking these Morrowind towns. I have to say the Oblivion towns were pretty sad. My favorite wasn't even a town, it was the secret paladin outpost where I stored my badass armor and my armor bros.
    That's because Oblivion was basically generic fantasy world the game, while Morrowind has mushroom tree -houses and giant crab shells as a roof for underground housing.

• Now I feel like just talking about generally cool places in video games that aren't necessarily levels. Zelda 1 graveyard!
    Area in ALttP with flute-kid, and then getting the payoff in the Dark World version.
  • I'm generally a fan of vast expanses of water/air/space on which I can sail/explore. Skies of Arcadia was like one of my favorite things.

OK, how did it take me this long to think of Skies of Arcadia? Pretty much everything in that game was awesome.
  • I want a complex version of Skies of Arcadia's airship battles to be its own game.
  • Not sure if this one counts, but Shenmue II's depiction of Hong Kong really had me going.
  • I'm generally a fan of vast expanses of water/air/space on which I can sail/explore. Skies of Arcadia was like one of my favorite things.

OK, how did it take me this long to think of Skies of Arcadia? Pretty much everything in that game was awesome.
    Indeed it was... It ranks very highly on my list of favorite RPGs. :)
  • Is there some way to play Arcadia without a Dreamcast? IIRC the GameCube version did not compare.
  • Gamecube version was fine...
  • WoW - Dalaran or Shattrath. They were both well designed towns to some how I kept discovering something meta about the game. They were also hubs to where people just messed around and hung out at.

Also Sanctuary :P.
  • Yeah, I wasn't thinking about WoW. I always loved the design of the Exodar. But it's so lonely. T_T
  • Is there some way to play Arcadia without a Dreamcast? IIRC the GameCube version did not compare.
    I thought they were the same game. You didn't get the little side adventure stuff that you could play on the DC memory card, though.

I thought they were the same game. You didn't get the little side adventure stuff that you could play on the DC memory card, though.

Is there a Dreamcast emulator that also emulates the crazy memory card?

Is there a Dreamcast emulator that also emulates the crazy memory card?
    I have no idea how that would work. It was a completely separate piece of hardware. Buttons and shit. You could literally remove it from the controller and play it like a tiny Gameboy. They actually used it in games like that.