This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Top 5 Games of the Last Generation

edited May 2013 in Video Games
Who likes frivolous lists? Everybody! Listening to last week's Weekend Confirmed, they were talking about their top 5 favorite games from the almost-finished console generation. And I thought, that's a nice idea for a forum topic.

So this is just your favorite five games (with maybe an honorable mention or two). The games you choose should be limited to being originally released on the following platforms:
  • Steam (or any PC game after 2003)
  • Nintendo DS
  • Playstation Portable
  • Xbox 360
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Playstation 3
Android and iOS are too new to be considered the previous generation of hardware/software, as are Wii U, 3DS, and PS Vita.

Granted the generation isn't quite over yet, and there's still some good games coming down the pipe, but here is my current top 5:
  1. Rock Band 3
  2. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  3. Bioshock
  4. Portal
  5. Assassin's Creed 2
Honorable mentions:
  • Journey
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Heavy Rain
I'm interested to see what everyone else puts.
Post edited by theknoxinator on

Comments

• 1. Journey
    2. Borderlands 2
    3. Bastion
    4. Portal
    5. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future

I know I am probably forgetting something very crucial, but I'm for most part these are games that I've actually finished. I know there are some games that I've finished, but can't recall and some games that should be on this list but haven't finished.

That whole time management thing.
  • Looking back, I think it would be:

1. Super Mario Galaxy
    2. The World Ends With You
    3. Borderlands
    4. Uncharted 2
    5. Xenoblade.

It's possible that Ni No Kuni could end up in there, I'm REALLY enjoying what I have played and seen so far.
  • Okay, this is just kinda a look at the last five games which were kinda my go-tos. This isn't what I think the best or most influential games of the last gen are, but just what I got the most into.

1. Red Alert 3 (duh)
    2. Just Cause 2
    3. Red Dead Redemption
    4. Borderlands 2.
    5. Team Fortress 2.
  • edited May 2013
    1. Civilization IV
    2. Sim City 4
    3. Half Life 2 / Source / Portal
    4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    5. Bastion

Runners up:
    • XCOM: The New Hotness
    • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    • Unreal Tournament 2k4
    • Spec Ops: The Line
    • Shadow of the Colossus
    • Sins of a Solar Empire
    There have been so many games in the last 10 years, I know I'm leaving some out.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited May 2013
    Following Open_sketchbook idea of the top of 5 go to games for me since I haven't played a lot of this gen's console games, I'll stay mostly in PC games that I've gone back to over and over again.

1. World of Warcraft (This was my go to game through the early years with my wife. A game that we could both play together, we are both totally done with it but it was fun while it lasted.)
    2. Civilization IV (Check my steam account and see the amount of hours (inflated slightly because I would leave it running)
    3. Team Fortress 2
    4. Endless space (what would be Master of Orion 2 the last decade)
    5. Heroes of Might and Magic V (the game I would go to on business trips.)

Runner ups Quake Live, Killing Floor and King's Bounty and Left4dead.

(I'd put Planetside 2 on the list but I would consider that a next gen PC title.)

As for the games I had the most fun through the whole thing.

1. Mass Effect 2
    2. The Witcher
    3. Batman: AA
    4. Fallout 3 (and New Vegas)
    5. Dragon Age: Origins

Runner up: Skyrim, Borderlands, Alpha Protocol, Crisis and Deus Ex.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited May 2013
    Come to think of it, GalCiv2, DoTA, Fallout 3/New Vegas, and Freelancer might be up there.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • 1. Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan 2
    2. Rock Band 2/Rock Band 3
    3. Borderlands 2
    4. Super Mario Galaxy
    5. Super Meat Boy
  • Oh shit, somehow I forgot about Mass Effect, which is the series I have easily put more hours into than all those other games combined.

Let's just say it transcends lists, shall we?
  • 1. Dark Souls
    2. Demon's Souls
    3. Resistance 3
    4. Tales of Maj'Eyal 4
    5. Tribes: Ascend

Honors: Starhawk, Crysis 2 Multiplayer, Max Payne 3
  • Hmm...Since 2003, essentially? I don't like ordering them, so I'll just pick 5 (and individual series count as one)

Fallout: New Vegas (or 3)
    Mass Effect
    Dragon Age
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    iNFamous

Honors: Skyrim, a million other things

Lists suck.
  • edited May 2013
    1. Dirt 3
    2. Dirt 2
    3. Saints Row: The Third
    4. Need For Speed Shift
    5. Mass Effect 2

Runners up:
    Real Racing 3
    Bastion
    Animal Crossing Wild Worlds
    Halo
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited May 2013
    1. Fallout 3/NV
    2. Civ V
    3. InFamous
    4. Tropico 4
    5. Sonic Generations

Runners up: Phoenix Wright, Just Cause 2, and somehow Bruce Springsteen.

Keep in mind that I didn't start gaming until 2008, so I've played significantly less games than the rest of you (for example, the Civ and Tropico games listed are the only I've played yet).
    Post edited by Greg on
  • 1. Race 07 - I've literally put over 200 hours into this game. The only thing that would have come close would be wrestling games from the generations before. I can play this game infinitely, even just doing laps without a real race going on. If I hadn't played Race 07, I would not have enjoyed the F1 games I've gotten into since.
    2. Red Dead Redemption - the only game on the GTA engine that I actually like; and it's because of the great story and characters. I recommend this game to customers to this day.
    3. The Phoenix Wright series - no other series with the exception of WWE games have ever been automatic, blind buys for me other than this one. I love the characters, the humor, and yes, the crazy turnabout plot twists. These games took me on a ride and the first one was more or less why I bought a DS in the first place after giving up on portable gaming years ago.
    4. Saints Row The Third - This game has great writing and mostly very good voice acting(Hulk Hogan should not play a skinny luchador) complimenting the craziest game story until the next Saints Row. Few games were as outright fun to play.
    5. Forza 3 - The Forza that finally really grabbed me and got me to play a racing game for a long, long time. I think it was the gateway drug that got me to try something like Race 07 and generally become the racing junkie I am now.

Honorable Mentions and a game that didn't qualify but would be on my list:
    Fire Pro Wrestling Returns(the only wrestling game I really enjoyed in this generation cycle but it's a PS2 game), Spec Ops: The Line, Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, Super Meat Boy, Resident Evil 5, NBA 2K12(specifically with the Ultimate Base Roster mod), Batman Arkham City, and Deus Ex Human Revolution, which would have probably made the top 5 if I had ever figured out how to kill the second boss.
  • Natural Selection 2
    Portal
    Just Cause 2
    Magicka
    Hitman: Blood Money
  • Civilization 5: Gods and Kings (But specifically not the vanilla version.)
    Dawn of War: Dark Crusade
    Bastion
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

And I'm just really sad I can't fit NS2, The World Ends With You, or the Binding of Isaac in there.
  • Limiting so much makes it really really hard to find any games I even want to pick. I guess my school is older than I thought. Keep in mind, this is a list of favorites, not bests. That's what you asked for.

In no particular order:

Natural Selection 2
    Spacechem
    Portal
    Portal 2
    Pac-Man CE DX

Almost made the cut:

FTL
    Dwarf Fortress
    Advance Wars (Dual Strike/Days of Ruin)
    Monaco
    Counter-Strike (Source/GO)
    Starcraft ][
  • edited May 2013
    I've played too many good games to even attempt such a list. I'd inevitably forget half of the good games I played. Luckily, I started tracking what I want to buy/bought/played back in 2007-ish. So for a more recent top 5 favorites of mostly second half of this gen (no specific order):

- Bioshock
    - Super Meat Boy
    - Rock Band 2/3
    - Resident Evil 4 (Wii)
    - Left 4 Dead

Edit: forgot Portal. Can't figure out what I would bump out for Portal so let's just call it 6.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Oh, Super Meat Boy, good catch.
  • I think the concept of "Generation" is too fallacious for my taste. I am primarily a PC gamer and thus console hardware cycles don't impact me greatly (though I have owned a Wii in the past and own an XBox 360). Also, the recent advent of more low tech games that aren't even designed to make full use of the available hardware puts the concept quite into question. Some great games, like The Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy, Monaco or Hotline Miami don't require the hardware most of us use to run the things on.

There are some things which require improvements in hardware to bring the full intended vision of its creature, but a great game is a great regardless of generation
  • RymRym
    edited May 2013
    A top five, based on your criteria (six in case you think (foolishly) that the two Advance Wars games should count as one):

1. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
    2. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
    3. Portal
    4. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    5. Counter Strike Source/Global Offensive
    6. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Notable mentions:

x. FTL
    x. Mark of the Ninja
    x. Monaco
    x. Natural Selection 2
    x. SSB: Brawl

Games that pointedly aren't on the list:
    z. Bioshock
    z. Civilization V

The issue is that the DS had (has) a long lifespan, and PC gaming, by your criteria, includes everything up until now. Thus, the DS and the PC are heavily over-represented if I honestly evaluate ALL games that meet your criteria.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited May 2013
    Based on your criteria, my favorite games are:

1. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
    2. Fallout New Vegas
    3. Minecraft
    4. TES V: Skyrim
    5. Just Cause 2

Honorable mentions:
    * Pokemon Platinum
    * Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

But if I were to leave out PC and DS games, there wouldn't even be 5 games on the list. The latest generation of console games has left me rather underwhelmed.
    Post edited by Herr_Reese on
  • edited May 2013
    1. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
    2. Morrowind
    3. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    4. Dwarf Fortress
    5. DOTA 2

Notable mentions:
    -Half Life 2
    -CS:GO
    -Civ 4
    -Super Meat Boy
    -Sim City 4
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Wow, is the state of video games really this fucking sad? More games are being made now than ever, but we can't even come up with 5 in the past decade that are among the best ever? Is there anyone here who would put a recent game on a top 10 all time list?
  • Wow, is the state of video games really this fucking sad? More games are being made now than ever, but we can't even come up with 5 in the past decade that are among the best ever? Is there anyone here who would put a recent game on a top 10 all time list?
    Dark Souls
  • edited May 2013
    Among the best ever? Is a different question than what is being asked in this thread.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
    Portal.

Dark Souls
    I played Dark Souls for the first time yesterday. It's a piece of shit. I have no fucking clue why this game is so beloved. Will elaborate more in a podcast.
    Wow, is the state of video games really this fucking sad? More games are being made now than ever, but we can't even come up with 5 in the past decade that are among the best ever? Is there anyone here who would put a recent game on a top 10 all time list?
    Portal.

And that's pretty much it.
    Both of the Bethesda Fallout games are on my top 10 list, and I've played a number of retro games proportionate to the number of modern games I've played. As would inFamous. I think it's just a sad state for the sorts of games you like. Open world games have been thriving.
    I can think fuckton of great, awesome games made during this generation. The reason I've not done this yet is because I can't choose only 5.

Dark Souls
    I played Dark Souls for the first time yesterday. It's a piece of shit. I have no fucking clue why this game is so beloved. Will elaborate more in a podcast.
    Lol you're literally objectively wrong.