This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

XBox One Eighty

Comments

• XBLA games are NOT backwards compatible.
    HAHAHA. Oh, wow.
  • PS4 will be the same w.r.t. PSN games I think. I have such a long list of current gen (or previous if you want to call it that already) games I want to play/complete that I can't imagine getting a new console and paying full price for a bunch of games.
  • I'll get a Wii U when Pikmin comes out so I can have it for Nintendo 1st-party's I want, and then be happy with that, PC, and 3DS. Whatevs. PS4 and Xbox One have lost my interest. Roommate will get a PS4 and I'll leech inFamous 3 off of that. Other than that? No real interest.
  • I literally bought the Xbox 360 for Forza. I got to play Forza 2, 3 and 4. I'm just gonna download all the car packs for Forza 4 and use that any time I need a racing fix.
  • PS4 will be the same w.r.t. PSN games I think. I have such a long list of current gen (or previous if you want to call it that already) games I want to play/complete that I can't imagine getting a new console and paying full price for a bunch of games.
    I really hope that PSN games are backwards compatible. I wasn't expecting the disc-based games to be, but the digital ones, the ones tied to my PSN account, that better transfer over otherwise Sony is going to have a lot of angry users on its hands.

• edited May 2013
    XBLA games are NOT backwards compatible.
    Da fuq?
    If you are willing to pay hundreds of dollars just to play Forza 5 and/or Halo, this is for you. If you are too dumb to attach a computer to your television, this is actually pretty great since it does almost everything. For everyone else, just attach a computer to your television and save your money.
    Show me a Windows PC that can play Forza or the new HALO games.
    Oh, Wait, THEY CAN'T.
    I just said that. How much are you willing to pay for two games?
    I was seriously considering getting a PS3 JUST for Gran Turismo. You underestimate my love of racing games. Halo is just icing on the cake.
    I literally bought the Xbox 360 for Forza. I got to play Forza 2, 3 and 4. I'm just gonna download all the car packs for Forza 4 and use that any time I need a racing fix.
    Gonna follow your lead, George.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited May 2013
    I'll get a Wii U when Pikmin comes out so I can have it for Nintendo 1st-party's I want, and then be happy with that, PC, and 3DS. Whatevs. PS4 and Xbox One have lost my interest. Roommate will get a PS4 and I'll leech inFamous 3 off of that. Other than that? No real interest.
    Pretty much this. I'm sure I'll get one eventually, but fuck if I'm getting one at launch.
    XBLA games are NOT backwards compatible.
    Da fuq?
    I was worried about that. That's why I mostly just bought/plan on buying the XBLA games I want on discs or bought the steam versions because I don't want to be totally fucked if my hard drive dies and I can't re-download them.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • edited May 2013
    Report: All Xbox One games must be installed, secondhand players must pay fee

Begin baseless speculation!

There's a lockdown on something that is delivered via physical disc. In order to enforce the lockdown, presumably you'd have to be online to play it, which means your XBOX is connected to the internet. Unless it has a 56k modem, that means you have broadband. So why sell it as a physical disc? Presumably to make retailers happy, because you still need to buy the console somewhere.
    Post edited by pence on
  • They haven't told what happens if the second person wants to play the game off the disc.
  • edited May 2013
    Report: All Xbox One games must be installed, secondhand players must pay fee

Begin baseless speculation!

There's a lockdown on something that is delivered via physical disc. In order to enforce the lockdown, presumably you'd have to be online to play it, which means your XBOX is connected to the internet. Unless it has a 56k modem, that means you have broadband. So why sell it as a physical disc? Presumably to make retailers happy, because you still need to buy the console somewhere.
    They already said that the "Always-on" only meant for background downloads and such, not requiring it to be online to play them. Still bullshit though, mostly because I'm afraid of whats going to happen in the long run when the auth servers aren't up any longer. They better find cracks for that shit. Also I better be able to play the game without the disc in there if I'm registering it online.

Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • I see no compelling reason to get a XB1 just yet. I mean, I only got a 360 because I bought it half price from a friend who won it in a competition, pre-launch, at a point where I was at least a console generation behind. Still have it, too, and it still works just fine.
  • Sony stock is apparently up 9% today. :P
  • So if you have your gamertag banned does that mean you lose all of your games?
  • You probably just can't play online, since that's how it works now. I doubt they would want to stop taking your money.
  • edited May 2013
    If you are willing to pay hundreds of dollars just to play Forza 5 and/or Halo, this is for you. If you are too dumb to attach a computer to your television, this is actually pretty great since it does almost everything. For everyone else, just attach a computer to your television and save your money.
    Show me a Windows PC that can play Forza or the new HALO games.
    Oh, Wait, THEY CAN'T.
    I just said that. How much are you willing to pay for two games?
    I was seriously considering getting a PS3 JUST for Gran Turismo. You underestimate my love of racing games. Halo is just icing on the cake.
    I literally bought the Xbox 360 for Forza. I got to play Forza 2, 3 and 4. I'm just gonna download all the car packs for Forza 4 and use that any time I need a racing fix.
    Gonna follow your lead, George.
    Sonic, I understand your dilemma all too well. I actually bought a PS2 for GT back in the day before Forza existed. I wish there was a good PC alternative, but I think the development of these games is heavily subsidized by the likes of Sony and MS due to the immense amount of data that has to be inputted to create them.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I was seriously considering getting a PS3 JUST for Gran Turismo. You underestimate my love of racing games. Halo is just icing on the cake.
    Can we talk about how Gran Turismo 4 will be out on PS3 for the holidays, but won't have a PS4 version until 2014? Hooooooly shit. GT is a system seller. So if it's not out for the new system during the holidays.... a lot less people are buying this system.

I wouldn't say Microsoft is fucking up. They're playing the best hand they can, business wise. The majority of their customers can't handle an HTPC. The majority of their customers will STILL buy this new XBox w/o backwards compatibility. I think the visual style of the new console is pretty nice, the TV stuff is nice if you actually have TV (core XBox audience, ding), and I'm sure it will be plenty powerful and have all sorts of pretty games. It's just not for me anymore.

• edited May 2013
    Don't you mean Gran Turismo 6?
    Sonic, I understand your dilemma all too well. I actually bought a PS2 for GT back in the day before Forza existed. I wish there was a good PC alternative, but I think the development of these games is heavily subsidized by the likes of Sony and MS due to the immense amount of data that has to be inputted to create them.
    Well, now that the new Xbox is going to be based on x86 architecture (if I remember correctly), hopefully they'll start putting Forza out for PC as well.
    What? A guy can dream.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Yeah. I personally don't want or need one, but it's going to be the best console on the market for most people.
  • Don't you mean Gran Turismo 6?
    Well, now that the new Xbox is going to be based on x86 architecture (if I remember correctly), hopefully they'll start putting Forza out for PC as well.
    What? A guy can dream.
    I would upgrade to Windows 8 if that was what was required.
  • PS4 will be better, actually, for everyone 8-) *slowly pulls up sleeve and reveals Crash Bandicoot tat*
  • Despite them both having 8GB RAM, it looks like the PS4 will have more of that devoted to games.
  • edited May 2013
    Don't you mean Gran Turismo 6?
    Yeah my bad. I don't actually play racing games so I got the numbers mixed up.

Sony will always be the company who can do nothing right in my eyes, but even I can't believe how much of a masterstroke they have pulled in drawing the indie talent over. If MS has put up any fight they could have stopped it from happening. Relating to Scott's story, I also only bought a 360 during they heyday of XBLA.

Post edited by Matt on
  • edited May 2013
    I think it's important to note that Microsoft is looking at a much longer game than Sony and Nintendo right now. They are trying to take over as input A on your TV, directly challenging the cable companies. If they manage to take over, they will be able to rapidly transition to a new content distribution model for premium television without the need to cable. It has a slim chance of succeeding, but I think they are the best bet to replace the current media moguls to take control of the television.

Microsoft is directly targeting the users who refer to their 360 as their "Netflix box".
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • "XBoz" is spelled wrong in the title, Scott.
  • Rym tweets so I don't have to.
  • Microsoft is set to "win" this "console generation" hands down unless Nintendo pulls some crazy crap out of their butts.
  • Requires connected Kinect. Not optional. Bet that is going to raise the price quite a bit.
  • Microsoft is set to "win" this "console generation" hands down unless Nintendo pulls some crazy crap out of their butts.
    I'm really not sure if you're trolling or not.
  • Not trolling at all. The concept of "winning" a console generation has always been stupid (apples and oranges, etc...), but I think Microsoft will dominate in terms of sales numbers hands down.

I think "generations" are going to be a thing of the past in the near term and aren't relevant anymore.