This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

XBox One Eighty

Comments

• This whole press event feels to me like a part of some crazy PR trap Sony sprung, to tell you the truth. Starting with the vague PS4 announcement that made Microsoft scramble to set this event up, then making the teaser for the actual console reveal just prior to it. That and the fact that E3 is around the corner with which Sony will pull all guns, new guns, which have the potential to steal Microsoft's thunder.

Other than that, the whole announcement has been received with incredible negativism and cynicism, from what I've seen thus far. Bundle that with the used game requirements set on the Xbox one and the fact that Sony's stock went up 9% today paint a very different picture in my eyes.
  • Bah. Sony will not be able to announce anything particularly different most likely.
  • Microsoft is still going to have XBoz announcement Part Deux at E3. It will supposedly be about games/games/games.
  • Scott hit the nail on the head with that first post. This would only be beneficial if you've never own a console before, but games like FIFA and Call of Duty are allowed on PS4 also. If you aren't into the mainstream shooters or realistic sports games, then this is not for you. Longtime gamers deserve to be mad from the nonsense of the fees for second-hand games, the required Kinect, and lack of backwards compatibility.
  • So no one is going to say anything about how silly that name is? For a console that's third one in it's series.
    Don't worry, buddy, I'm here with ya.
  • It's actually cool, I don't have to upgrade, because I already own an Xbox One.
  • edited May 2013
    I think it's named the Xbox 1 because it's a unifying device for your entertainment center.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • XBLA games are NOT backwards compatible.
    Da fuq?
    If you are willing to pay hundreds of dollars just to play Forza 5 and/or Halo, this is for you. If you are too dumb to attach a computer to your television, this is actually pretty great since it does almost everything. For everyone else, just attach a computer to your television and save your money.
    Show me a Windows PC that can play Forza or the new HALO games.
    Oh, Wait, THEY CAN'T.
    I just said that. How much are you willing to pay for two games?
    I was seriously considering getting a PS3 JUST for Gran Turismo. You underestimate my love of racing games. Halo is just icing on the cake.
    Gran Turismo 5 is the literal opposite of fun.
  • I was seriously considering getting a PS3 JUST for Gran Turismo. You underestimate my love of racing games. Halo is just icing on the cake.
    Last time I visited my parents I tried Gran Turismo 5 on my dads PS3. It was horrible. The driving part itself might have been ok, not an expert on that, but everything outside of it was horrible. Loading times took forever, even with the game installed on hard drive. And the UI on menus was awful, there were lots of text with tiny unreadable font and as a fix for that you could press a button on a controller to zoom in the UI, so you can read the text, that for some reason couldn't have been made readable size from the beginning. I'd rather go back to Gran Turismo 2 than play that.
  • edited May 2013
    You and I must have very different definitions of "fun". I played it for a half hour at a Best Buy and it took everything I had to not buy a PS3 right there and then.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Why is everyone poo-pooing this? Just check out that ultra-sleek design!

• 90s electronics design = best electronics design
  • Gran Turismo 5 is the literal opposite of fun.
    You and I must have very different definitions of "fun". I played it for a half hour at a Best Buy and it took everything I had to not buy a PS3 right there and then.
    I wish that they would combine the mechanics of Gran Turismo with some of the need for speed games. Underground was my jam.
  • Watched more of it...god, they focused so much on the graphics and getting every single detail of the human body. Too bad with a sports game, you're covered in clothes and with Call of Duty, you really only pay attention to the hands and gun.

Gameplay, developers. Not just graphics.
  • I think it's named the Xbox 1 because it's a unifying device for your entertainment center.
    Everyone started calling this generation's xbox "The 360". I think they expect people to call this one "The One".
  • edited May 2013
    Epic rant by AngryJoe:

He does a great summary after the 19 minute mark

I do agree with most of his comments actually on the xbox1. Playstation 4 is running away with the PR game right now, but as Rym said, they may had intended the reveal for a broader audience in general. But unlike the giant PR blitz surround the original Wii, I'm not sure if the X1 will reach that same sort of outlook.
    Post edited by lifecircle on
  • I think it's named the Xbox 1 because it's a unifying device for your entertainment center.
    Everyone started calling this generation's xbox "The 360". I think they expect people to call this one "The One".
    I'm going to call it the Xone (zone).
  • My favorite reaction about the situation is from the fighting game maestro himself.

• edited May 2013
    Xbox One Highlights... TV, Sports, CoD

Too Funny.
    Post edited by jabrams007 on
  • calladoody
  • via FB: New gameplay screenshot of Call of Duty: Ghosts

• edited May 2013
    What Omnutia said. Also, I might just get an X-blohzone for that dog.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited May 2013
    One of the big things that went largely unnoticed is that the controller has programmable feedback in the triggers.

And black is the default colour again?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah, I think I'll buy one of those controllers for my PC.

As for black, it's the default default after all.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • The d-pad doesn't look like total shit, so maybe Microsoft has learned something.
  • edited May 2013
    So far I am not impressed. No backwards compatibility, the fact that you have to pay another fee for used games (or games you borrowed) and the "always on" shit is not good at all. Maybe I get one if there is some really great exclusive title that I really want, but I am definitely not going to get rid of my 360 (even though haven't used it for much gaming recently).

However, the two gamers where I work, neither of whom own a 360 and both are PS3 owners, are actually quite excited about this device.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited May 2013
    The whole "second-hand fee" thing is the biggest reason I'm not going to buy one, I think - Second-hand games is how you get the vast majority of games at a halfway decent price in Australia, and I'm no fucking way in hell going to pay 40-60 bucks for a disc that I can't use until I pay the extra however much to be allowed to play it. Especially since at the moment, rumors indicate that the fee will be the retail price of the game or close to.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The whole "second-hand fee" thing is the biggest reason I'm not going to buy one, I think - Second-hand games is how you get the vast majority of games at a halfway decent price in Australia, and I'm no fucking way in hell going to pay 40-60 bucks for a disc that I can't use until I pay the extra however much to be allowed to play it. Especially since at the moment, rumors indicate that the fee will be the retail price of the game or close to.
    This.

They already killed the Live Gold family pack now this? What does this mean for families or roomies? If I buy the newest Dead Space game am I the only one who can play it? Can another family member in the same house play it or must they pay?
  • This.

They already killed the Live Gold family pack now this? What does this mean for families or roomies? If I buy the newest Dead Space game am I the only one who can play it? Can another family member in the same house play it or must they pay?
    Actually, they did mention that - you should be able to still play them on the Xbox belonging to the person who bought and/or registered the game. It's when you put it into another xbox that you're going to have to pay the fee, IIRC.