This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mirror's Edge 2?

edited May 2013 in Video Games
An interesting Amazon leak (we think?) just trickled down to the rumor mill: Mirror's Edge 2!

Based on the evidence in the article, what do you guys think? Real or fake? If it's real, do you want/need another one?

Comments

• I tried playing Mirror's Edge a while ago, and at about a half-an-hour in it glitched so bad that I couldn't progress. I haven't tried since.

I don't know if I want a Mirror's Edge 2.
  • edited May 2013
    I liked Mirror's Edge when it first came out, but it had its fair share of problems. Particularly it setting up a grand environment and backstory to the world, and then doing absolutely nothing with it. A 2nd game would be good IF they can fix those problems.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Mirror's Edge was really good, but also like P_TOG it glitched out on me and I was never able to finish it.
  • Glitching out 30 minutes in? There's an anti piracy measure where you character slows down so much you can no longer progress.
  • I bought it legit on Steam. It was maybe an hour to two hours in.
  • It worked fine for me.
  • edited May 2013
    I thought Mirror's Edge was an awesome experience, but it was such a new thing to do that they really didn't get to see out the idea to fruition. If the right people come together, this could be an amazing experience.

Also, Mirror's Edge 2 now with Oculus Rift support?
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • I played Mirror's Edge for- perhaps an hour and a half? A combination of paths and objects that looked traversable, but weren't for some reason (even though they looked exactly like other, actually traversable paths and objects), and situations where the big, open multi-path feeling was betrayed by points where there was only one specific way to progress, and all other potential paths lead to immediate, unavoidable death, only discoverable by trial and error, turned me off.

It was a really awesome concept, though. I'm all for a Mirror's Edge 2 - if they get it right, it'll be fucking amazing.
  • Also, Mirror's Edge 2 now with Oculus Rift support?
    Oh man, yeah. That sounds awesome.
  • Mirror's Edge was never really my thing, but a sequel could probably polish things up to the point where I'd get interested again. Oculus Rift support would be a perfect fit for Mirror's Edge - having to always look down at your feet to get oriented was frustrating, but it'd be a lot more natural in VR.
  • Mirror's edge was a potentially fantastic game that was hamstrung by forced combat sections and a few poor design choices. It's practically impossible that they haven't learned from most of their mistakes, considering how often they've been discussed since the game's release, and how famous of an example it is, so I've got some hope for it, IF it's actually coming.
  • Glitching out 30 minutes in? There's an anti piracy measure where you character slows down so much you can no longer progress.
    My copy was a real-life Steam purchase. I can't remember exactly what the glitch was that held me back, so maybe I'll try playing it again sometime soon and see if I can get anywhere.
  • My copy was a real-life Steam purchase. I can't remember exactly what the glitch was that held me back, so maybe I'll try playing it again sometime soon and see if I can get anywhere.
    Was it in a room with a lot of glass?
  • edited May 2013
    My copy was a real-life Steam purchase. I can't remember exactly what the glitch was that held me back, so maybe I'll try playing it again sometime soon and see if I can get anywhere.
    Yeah, you have to turn PhysX off if that's the case.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • My copy was a real-life Steam purchase. I can't remember exactly what the glitch was that held me back, so maybe I'll try playing it again sometime soon and see if I can get anywhere.
    Yeah, you have to turn Physx off if that's the case.
    HEY I WAS GOING TO ANSWER THAT QUESTION AND LOOK SMART, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Yeah, PHYSX is pretty broken in that room, most other places are fine.
    Yeah, you have to turn Physx off if that's the case.
    HEY I WAS GOING TO ANSWER THAT QUESTION AND LOOK SMART, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Yeah, PHYSX is pretty broken in that room, most other places are fine.
    Too slow :P
  • Metro:LL had the problem in preview copies where PhysX was turned on by default, resulting in terrible frame rates on AMD cards.
  • I played the first Mirrors Edge on 360, beat it, loved it... I don't see where all the hate comes from. It felt like the best parts of Half Life and Portal but just in a different setting and without the fancy physics toys.

DICE certainly is notorious for re-use of art assets, almost to a comical extent, and that was perhaps the only thing that kept the set-piece moments of the game from being even better.

The inclusion of NPC workers and civilians to wade through as in a game like Assassin's Creed would be interesting, but the desolation of the environment was interesting enough.

Overall I'm really excited for the potential of a next one.
  • A Reboot is... OK well that's cool. The original setting is fine-enough as-is and a different story that starts with the story concept as a blank-slate is fine too.

They probably decided they wanted to take the gameplay and story direction in a different-enough direction that it was better to just ignore the arc of the original and do what they want. Fine. We get to run and jump and dodge the cops?

It better be designed for oculus out the gate.
  • Yeah a reboot is fine. They did nothing really great with the plot in the first one so I'm not going to miss it.

That trailer has more combat than makes me comfortable though. Makes me think maybe they didn't learn from the failures of the first game. I'm optimistic but only just so.
  • Me personally had no qualms piking up a shotgun or a SCAR and hunting down my enemies. I wish he shooting was a little more fluid with the parkour elements but overall I don't mind.

I would hope though they keep the option to run and dodge everyone.
  • I just want more of that gameplay. Felt amazing when I first played through it.

I'm hoping they put the extra fights in just for the trailer.

Textures look good too. I think the original was one of the first to use DX10 and I had just bought a new DX10 compatible videocard. This may have romanticised my memory of gaming at the time.
  • I played the first Mirrors Edge on 360, beat it, loved it... I don't see where all the hate comes from. It felt like the best parts of Half Life and Portal but just in a different setting and without the fancy physics toys.
    You just like it because she looks like someone (;
  • "I beat it, loved it..."