This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Unlimited money to make a video game.

edited June 2013 in Video Games
My first idea was to go big! But then I remembered I've never been interested enough in MMO games to ever try playing one. No matter how much money is spent on a big game with a huge world, I don't think I'd be interested enough to give it a go. And so in that case, why would I want to make one myself?

So instead I'd use my unlimited video game funds to build 2D platformer. Each level would be of equal length, and each level would start and end at nexus points in a huge grid/overworld. Two or more players would be dropped at a single point on the grid. They would then have to race to another randomly selected point on the grid. The overworld grid and levels would be the same every time you played, but the start and end locations change each time. This would result in a 2D platform racing game which would be, hopefully, continuously fresh. Single players could explore the world as they wanted, to practice and beat personal bests. In two player games it would be fun to always see your opponents markers on the overworld grid to see where they were.

It wouldn't need unlimited funds, of course, but with those funds I could pay people to sort through user-submitted levels and content and add it to the grid in appropriate places. The extra powers for the players could be attained and lost on a level-by-level basis, so big jumps and wall flips could be picked up at the start of one level but then lost at the end of it, either by a timer or going through a force field that removes it. Maybe some powers could last for the next few levels, or for a certain time after, or until your next death, and that would require a lot of balance issues. With unlimited funds I could pay for all that.

Comments

• Statefull, sci-fi, galaxy spanning MMO, the unlimited funds would go into hiring kick ass GM's with abilities to create and maintain continous storylines in the world for all the other players.
  • Even with funds, do you think that would be possible? And if possible... fun?
  • Pokemon MMO.

Metroidvania-style game with a HUGE map.

• Fallout MMO. The world, plot, and NPC's would change based on other player's actions. It might take a decade to develop, but it would Godly.
  • Fallout MMO. The world, plot, and NPC's would change based on other player's actions. It might take a decade to develop, but it would Godly.
    Then you could use the actual Earth as your map.

• Open source online DDR/Rock Band that uses a combo of dance pad, kinect, and fake and or real instruments. Money would be used to pay for the rights of songs the user base wants to play.
  • Multiplayer FPS like Counter-Strike with real world maps down to the tiniest detail. You go into people's houses and they are all different. You go into an office building and every single room is unique, matching the real world. No artificial boundaries whatsoever. Also works for racing game with real world roads.
  • Multiplayer FPS like Counter-Strike with real world maps down to the tiniest detail. You go into people's houses and they are all different. You go into an office building and every single room is unique, matching the real world. No artificial boundaries whatsoever. Also works for racing game with real world roads.
    I'm not sure if real world is balanced enough for competitive game like CS.

I'm not sure if real world is balanced enough for competitive game like CS.

The maps is so big and complex, it really doesn't matter. Just start everyone really far away from each other.
  • That makes me think of Google Maps-based RTS. Imagine playing Command and Conquer except the map is your own neighborhood.
  • That makes me think of Google Maps-based RTS. Imagine playing Command and Conquer except the map is your own neighborhood.
    Bro, that could fuck you over based on where you live. Ever lived in a city older than the Seven Years War? Paris, Boston, Munich -- our layouts make no goddamned sense. It would be Dominion Tank Police EVERYWHERE.
    I think pretty much any game built on an accurate simulation of Earth would be amazing regardless of genre.
  • edited June 2013
    -Minecraft world generation but without voxels and more climate types.
    -One player is "commander," manages the startings of a simple colony 4X style. Has the typical Civ stuff. They have to find resources, have to manage happiness, have to choose what buildings to make. Offworld colonists regularly come and settle, forcing you to continuously expand. However, you can't see past your colony without...
    -Other players can be "scouts," playing a first-person exploration game akin to Metroid Prime, picking weapons/tools for their loadouts and exploring. If they die, they have to wait a certain amount of in-game time for another exploration enviro-suit to be built. They also lower the population when they become scouts. Everywhere they explore becomes new land that the commander can mouse over and inspect. They have to fight, explore, and discover. Sometimes, however, other players colonies (in PvP modes) or hostile alien colonies (in a mode where they're turned on) can be discovered. In the battle for resources, players can also choose to be...
    -"Soldiers" pilot battle vehicles. These vehicles take fuel resources and must be built by the commander. There are solo vehicles where one-person pilots and uses the weapons, and group vehicles where everyone works as a team. These vehicles can destroy other structures and NPCs in a level that scouts can't. They have to break through hostile automated defenses to fight.

When you start a world, you can choose if you want a solo colony to just try and establish survival in the hostile environment alone, if you want hostile alien colonies, if you want to allow other human players to establish enemy colonies, or both of these things. You'd run it just like a Minecraft server. Time would continuously progress (an in-game day is about 30 minutes real-time), and the server would be moving as long as the commander was logged in.

If not this idea, then airship MMO, not unlike Guns of Icarus, but players would have smaller, personal airships of different types, and guilds would have large airships where all the guildmates could dock their personal airships.
    Post edited by Axel on
    I think pretty much any game built on an accurate simulation of Earth would be amazing regardless of genre.
    I think the opposite. Real world is not designed with gameplay in mind.

So...ArmA III?

So...ArmA III?

Somehow I don't think ArmA III has a map of the entire world including every road, building, and room.
  • YouTube outerra game engine.
  • Realistic open-world game with permadeath. Like an uber-complex Animal Crossing X GTA.
  • But that's just real life...
  • edited June 2013
    Yeah but I figure that since it isn't actually real that would make it different from real life. It might end up like Mad Max after a while for all we know.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • edited June 2013
    Dwarf Fortress + Space Colonization. Or a MOBA with fencing mechanics.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Or a MOBA with fencing mechanics.
    The Rabbit Proof MOBA?

• Are open world games with no limits really so interesting?
  • edited June 2013
    Are open world games with no limits really so interesting?
    It's not about no limits, it's about accuracy of simulation and variation due to complexity.

Imagine if just one real world skyscraper were accurately mapped down to the last detail and you played Counter-Strike in it. Terrorists start on some internal floor. CTs start outside on the street and/or get airlifted onto the roof. Right now with CS each map only has a few paths. It's mostly the same thing every time.

With a real world building, every match would be radically different. 70+ different floors to go to. Rooms, doors, desks, windows everywhere. Tons of elevators, stairwells, closets. Shit gets insane.

If you add on top of that the real world simulation aspect, things get even crazier. Imagine if the computers, TVs, phones, vending machines, etc. in the game actually worked. You could take desks and pile them up to make a blockade. You could take bleach and ammonia from the janitor's closet to make chlorine gas.

It's a canvas of creativity, but there are still limits. The limits are the game objectives and the laws of physics.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Or a MOBA with fencing mechanics.
    The Rabbit Proof MOBA?

Striped Pajamas MOBA?
  • edited June 2013
    Text adventure with flawless comprehension of all languages.
    Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • So, a Parsley game with a master linguist?
  • You can call me a simple minded super villain but I would waste all my money on the creation of a large orbiting panel that is capable of blocking out the sun that is nothing more then a large monitor.

I would use this new found tool to force cities to gather collective high scores in classic video games in order to get the sun back. It would then be up to that city to have a collective vote on the next city to be blocked.

Best of all? When I finally get bored of my super villain fun I can sell it to a company like Google =]
  • You can call me a simple minded super villain but I would waste all my money on the creation of a large orbiting panel that is capable of blocking out the sun that is nothing more then a large monitor.

I would use this new found tool to force cities to gather collective high scores in classic video games in order to get the sun back. It would then be up to that city to have a collective vote on the next city to be blocked.

Best of all? When I finally get bored of my super villain fun I can sell it to a company like Google =]
    Oh, I see how it is. How about this. An army of drones fly around harassing corrupt and evil people. To make them go away they have to change their ways.
  • These aren't video games.