This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Toriko

edited June 2013 in Anime
So I've finally been catching up on Toriko. I was sort of lukewarm to it at first; the fights didn't seem particularly well-done and the story didn't seem particularly interesting, but here I am 55 episodes later and I've developed a 'taste' for Toriko's 'flavor'. The fights don't seem to drag anymore; I've gotten into the complex world and the novelty of pun-based exotic foods; an interesting dynamic has evolved between Toriko and Komatsu. Is anyone else following this one? What are your thoughts? Also, forgive me if this discussion topic isn't particularly well-written; it's my first time creating one.

Comments

• I read the manga and it's decent. It has some good humor with the food reactions (though it doesn't quite reach Yakitate! Japan levels) and the fights are at least interesting. If you can accept the ridiculous power creep that often happens in Shonen manga and which Toriko fully embraces, than its for you. And that comes from someone who doesn't like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
  • I read the manga and it's decent. It has some good humor with the food reactions (though it doesn't quite reach Yakitate! Japan levels) and the fights are at least interesting. If you can accept the ridiculous power creep that often happens in Shonen manga and which Toriko fully embraces, than its for you. And that comes from someone who doesn't like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
    I might not be as savvy as you. ^_^ What's a "Power creep?"

• edited June 2013
    Power creep is when over time the characters' strength or physical prowess grows to ridiculous proportions. Of course, there has to be some of this in a shonen story, where characters are basically defined by how strong they are, but occasionally it can be sloppily written to the point of ridiculousness. Well written Shonen manga do have power creep as well, but it is put in the right context where the threats themselves and even the supporting cast also grows and the frame of reference doesn't get completely distorted.

A good example is One Piece, where the entire crew as well as the threats that the Strawhat Pirates face grow as they move along in their journey. A bad example in my opinion is Dragonball, where Goku's power grows to ridiculous proportions which would allow him to one-shot murder every single other character in the story if he wanted to, while some of the supporting cast like Yamcha or Kuririn are left completely in the dust. It also makes the old fights in the story look dumb and lame in comparison.

Toriko, the manga, is aware of this ridiculousness and embraces it.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Power creep is when over time the characters' strength or physical prowess grows to ridiculous proportions. Of course, there has to be some of this in a shonen story, where characters are basically defined by how strong they are, but occasionally it can be sloppily written to the point of ridiculousness. Well written Shonen manga do have power creep as well, but it is put in the right context where the threats themselves and even the supporting cast also grows and the frame of reference doesn't get completely distorted.

A good example is One Piece, where the entire crew as well as the threats that the Strawhat Pirates face grow as they move along in their journey. A bad example in my opinion is Dragonball, where Goku's power grows to ridiculous proportions which would allow him to one-shot murder every single other character in the story if he wanted to, while some of the supporting cast like Yamcha or Kuririn are left completely in the dust. It also makes the old fights in the story look dumb and lame in comparison.

Toriko, the manga, is aware of this ridiculousness and embraces it.
    Is Toriko, the anime, not aware? :o
  • I meant Toriko the manga as opposed to Toriko, the character.
  • I meant Toriko the manga as opposed to Toriko, the character.
    My bad. ^_^;
  • I would say if you have watched all of Dragon Ball then episode 1 through 28 of Dragon Ball would be a decently paced without much or really any power creep and episode 29 of Dragon Ball through the end of Dragon Ball Z characterizes power creep quite well.
  • I would say if you have watched all of Dragon Ball then episode 1 through 28 of Dragon Ball would be a decently paced without much or really any power creep and episode 29 of Dragon Ball through the end of Dragon Ball Z characterizes power creep quite well.
    And power creep is a commonly derided phenomenon, right?
  • It is mostly although there are certain shows; Gurren Lagann; that use it to their advantage.
  • It is mostly although there are certain shows; Gurren Lagann; that use it to their advantage.
    Oh man. Gurren Lagann LOVES Power Creep. XD