This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Console Gaming in 2013

edited June 2013 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, with all the news about Xbox1 and Playstation 4, we talk about the used games, DRM, and other assorted topics that have come up in relation.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Scott: Virtue's Last Reward has a game breaking bug that you need to be aware of.

Basically, once you hit the PEC room, go straight to gamefaqs and get through that room ASAP.

Also, as a general rule, don't save in ANY puzzle room. Just sleep the DS.

Wii-U: Myself, like many others, will buy it JUST for Brawl and play it for years. Glue the game in for all I care, it's a brawl machine. But yeah, no current games to make me want a Wii-U.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • When I was younger there was a website called Trade Games Now. It doesn't exist anymore but it was a pretty neat idea despite being based completely on good faith. I think it worked well because there weren't that many users so many of the users were pretty reliable. Google shows there may be some similar websites still available. Being a punk kid it was a pretty decent way to swap games without losing face value.
  • I used to go to Funcoland to try games out. I once sold them Final Fantasy I for $35 dollars. The next year, I bought it back for $20, and it ended up being the exact same cartridge (save game was still there).
  • Nintendo is doing some E3 promotion today and Saturday to show off their demos to the public. Since I live somewhat close to one, I am going to stop by and try them for the site.

If nothing else I hope to get more street pass bonuses.
  • Why couldn't they coincide with the Animal Crossing giveaways?
  • I have yet to listen, but I'm just going to go ahead and assume you both come to the conclusion that the PS4 will be the best gaming machine ever created and will elevate humanity to a new level of entertainment.
  • I have yet to listen, but I think you misspelled PC.
  • edited June 2013
    The dungeons look like the same locations as dungeons from 3DS, but with different layouts and items given at different times. You have the Tower of Hera with Moldorm again, but you have the hammer this time, and the puzzle looks different. Word is that the overworld is the same, but dungeon layouts and items are gonna be different. Additionally, supposedly, Wind Waker HD is gonna make the Triforce hunt with Tingle less annoying, so it may be a superior version.

Also, Rym saying "Big ol' dick" over and over again made me nostalgic for Why People Think Rym and Scott are Gay.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Someone please make a techno mix of Rym and Scott talking about dicks.
  • Yeah, it's become clear to me lately that a lot less people are internet-y than I might have thought. When the average American is now up to 30 hours of TV a week, that shouldn't be a surprise, I guess. I tend to think of things like Reddit as very mainstream at this point, but they're anything but. None of my coworkers had even heard of it and they're all young and work in a STEM field.

That said, lots of discussion does radiate out to the masses, albeit slowly. When it comes time to buy a new console, Joe Average is going to know that he has to figure out how to make it connect to the internet to play games and that it costs $100 more. It's not going to ruin Microsoft, but it does make a difference. PS3 did ok, like you said, but it lost the last generation to 360 pretty decisively (last I checked) after PS2 absolutely dominated.

Thanks for mentioning the Zelda remake, by the way. Link to the Past might be my favorite game, for sentimental reasons if nothing else, so it's nice to know I can ignore it.
  • Maybe it can have the opposite effect and drag luddites onto the net kicking and screaming. Perhaps someone will cause the second Eternal September.
  • edited June 2013
    Long-winded episode thoughts:

- The trophy it is mine! I won a NJ X-Wing regional two weeks ago, and yeah, it's a pretty sweet trophy. I know this is heresy, but I am strongly leaning towards going to Minneapolis in Nov for the world championship instead of PAX Prime. I've been there before and it's a very nice city, and while I can totally swing Prime this year, this would be a much shorter and less expensive trip, so it's a lot more realistic.

- The closest I ever came to being abused as a child was being a Sega family, but I loved the fuck out of my Master System games and totally had that converter box. Fun trivia: Master System and Genesis are so closely related in architecture that you could actually take your new Genesis controller and slap it into the old Master System, and it would work just fine. There's also all sorts of overlap between what games came out on what console in the foreign markets, especially Brazil, where it seems that Mega Drive had a fucking 15-year run and was massively popular.

- I always said "eat a bowl of dicks." Like with milk, and a spoon.

- Seriously, fuck bedroom TVs. Read a book, or at least play a game/use a tablet. Never had a bedroom TV as a kid but my brother did, and I always had a theory that was one factor for why he is a lazy sack of shit. In my house we have one 42" living room TV, an old 32" in a guest bedroom/office that NEVER gets used, and a CRT in the basement with 8 old-school consoles hooked up to it.

- I am guilty of being Nintendo fanboy and am still excited about many of their games, Wii U included, but it's very sad to see that their playing it safe has led to disappointments. For instance, NSMB2 was NOT a very good entry to the series, and it hurts to see Mario be mediocre.

- I've said it before, but yeah, lack of innovative use for Gamepad is big disappointment. The second screen factor does actually result in me using the system more while my wife watches shows only she likes, but now it just competes with 3DS, and there are already more good DS/3DS games than I have time for. ZombiU was actually a very good use of the Gamepad. They forced you to do fiddly shit on the gamepad to manage inventory, nail barricades, pick locks, etc. no because of "oooo look at the fun gamepad" but because they actively decided they wanted you to have to look down and expose yourself to getting mauled by a mother fucking zombie. Camera switches to 3rd person and you nervously keep 1 eye peeking up at the TV.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Scott, play SMW2: Yoshi's Island. It's teh fun. Too bad you can't play it on your 3DS like myself. If you have a GBA, you can borrow my copy of the game.

My parents have 5 flat screen TVs in the house all with it's own cable box.

I only have 1 big HDTV and 1 tv in the bedroom that hasn't been turned on in probably 6 months. We should get rid of it, but that takes effort. But yeah, at night in bed before sleeping, it's all about tablets.

Big old dick sounds so much better than a bag.

I'll probably buy the PS4 when KH3 comes out. But that's after I need to play KH1 again and KH2 with the release for the PS3 this fall. Other than that, I'm cool with my 3DS, but I will need to overhaul my PC and get a new mobo and cpu. :(
  • I can play Yoshi's Island on SNES, which I have done. I just haven't beaten it. That Baby Mario is so fucking stupid.
  • Well it's just a baby. It's the motivation of the game.

However, the babies Mario and Luigi were actually useful in Mario & Luigi Super Saga: Partners in Time.

Are you trying to 100% the game?
  • Well it's just a baby. It's the motivation of the game.

However, the babies Mario and Luigi were actually useful in Mario & Luigi Super Saga: Partners in Time.

Are you trying to 100% the game?
    The last time I played I think I got to world 2 or so.
  • 100% in Yoshi is so much fun. You feel like a boss when you finally do it.
  • 100% in Yoshi is so much fun. You feel like a boss when you finally do it.
    I'll put it on my post-retirement bucket list.
  • I can play Yoshi's Island on SNES, which I have done. I just haven't beaten it.
    Shame on you. Shame!
    Yoshi's Island is awesome and you should feel bad for not having finished it. Be eternally ashamed!

• edited June 2013
    I can play Yoshi's Island on SNES, which I have done. I just haven't beaten it.
    Shame on you. Shame!
    Yoshi's Island is awesome and you should feel bad for not having finished it. Be eternally ashamed!

I've beaten Super Mario Bros. 1-3, Lost Levels, World, Land 1-3, Wario 2-4, 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1-2, New SMB.

I have, but haven't beaten, New Mario Bros. Wii, Mario 3D land, New Mario Bros 2, and Yoshi's Island.

I guess I'm unlikely to beat the two New Mario Bros. for the Wii U anytime soon. Maybe when I'm old I can emulate them on my decatoncale.

Unless you've beaten more core SMB games than I have, don't tell me to have the shame. If you have beaten more than me, way to go.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited June 2013
    Sunshine was one of my favorite Mario games despite all the hate it got. Actually I guess the press loved it but I always hear people talking it down.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Sunshine was one of my favorite Mario games despite all the hate it got. Actually I guess the press loved it but I always hear people talking it down.
    Parts of it were amazing, like the sudden magical old school levels. Other parts were very lame, like every boss.

• The bosses are lame in every Mario game.
    Mario 2.

Mario 2.

Super Mario RPG. All the Paper Mario's (except Sticker Poop).
    Say that to my face!

• Yep. Mario 3 and Super Mario World got some great Koopaling action.
  • edited June 2013
    I disagree wit
    The bosses are lame in every Mario game.
    Mario 2.

Super Mario RPG. All the Paper Mario's (except Sticker Poop).
    Oh God, are you serious? The RPG ones are the worst because they just become annoying incredibly precise jumps. I don't really remember there being any bosses besides Birdo and weird Frog King.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Fawful is a pretty good boss, actually.

• I want a mario boss that spans like an entire level and you have to use all your skills to defeat them.