This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Console Gaming in 2013

2»

Comments

• I mean, that's cool and all, but lots of the bosses in the RPG games are creative, funny, and interesting. Freakin' Hooktail in Paper Mario: TYD.
  • edited June 2013
    I'm not really judging them as characters. I'm just saying they're usually, mechanically, the weaker part of any Mario game. Fawful is probably my favorite as far as characters.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I suppose. I dunno. They serve a specific type of boss purpose, it's about survival. Getting all the way to the end with even Fire Flower or even a Mushroom is hard, so you're lucky if you don't die in one hit. Then you also have to figure out whatever the strategy is. They're just ways to make a level harder. They serve their purpose fine.
  • I just really like the way that Super Meat Boy handles them where you don't really interact with the boss and it just provides more complications to your platforming. I just usually find it easy to jump on their heads and there's very little challenge of skills that you use through the game. The boss levels themselves are usually really fun because they're really challenging, but then it just ends with "jump on the guy". The RPG games are a little different in that they challenge your mastery over the battle system, and they do make it challenging, but sometimes its like a little too frustrating. Although I do enjoy that they're utilized better in the RPG games through the combat.
  • Yeah. The bosses in the RPG were always really interesting enemies to come into.
  • I predict this will get a lot of attention, especially if they do manage to make it 100% backwards compatible. 7 in 1 retro console.
  • edited June 2013
    So far I think I'll go for a 3DS/Wii U as my next console purchase. Now that It looks like there will actually be games out for the Wii U, I can justify it more even if its mostly just first party games. Plus, I'm still leery about what sort of hardware issues there will be with the new consoles.

Edit:
    I predict this will get a lot of attention, especially if they do manage to make it 100% backwards compatible. 7 in 1 retro console.
    Shit I forgot about that. If it really is less that $100 I'll totally be all over that.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • 100% in Yoshi is so much fun. You feel like a boss when you finally do it.
    I'll put it on my post-retirement bucket list.
    I like that I am not the only one with a long excel spreadsheet of the best things in life that I don't have time to do. I only hope that there is a retirement community that caters to this market of people wanting to go back and play the best games, starting with the ones they missed 50 years ago ;)
  • I think a higher priority when retired will be playing all those tabletop RPGs and high-investment games.
  • 100%ing Super Meat boy with reduced reaction times and crappy vision it going to be a bitch.
  • 100%ing Super Meat boy with reduced reaction times and crappy vision it going to be a bitch.
    That's not the kind of game I'm saving for when I'm old.

Also, if Super Meat Boy 15 comes out when I'm 70+ I'll hopefully be able to play it via neural interface. Meat controller for a meat game.
  • I think a higher priority when retired will be playing all those tabletop RPGs and high-investment games.
    When you're old and retired, your group will fall asleep during the campaigns. :P
  • A surprisingly good episode, on the whole. Only two points I disagree on:

First, Average joe public DOES know about the xbone and ps4 - it did hit the mainstream media, and naturally, there will be advertising beforehand. They won't know shit about it, but they know it's around.

Second, I personally prefer "climb a wall of dicks."
  • What I find funny is that the cobbled together "how to trade games on PS4" video is insanely popular and has gone viral while the professional PS4 reveal video has gone nowhere.